Ragsdale RETIRES!!!!!

VHSLhelper

Roberts was a great back. 6'1, 210 pounds and running a 4.5, thats a tough person to stop and bring down. He did carry that team well because we all know that there wasnt a single other person there that was good at all(actually, they had one lineman who had some decent size and was pretty strong, but thats it as far as good players go). All year long I thought that he was just the product of the system they ran, with him just standing back there and taking the snap directly and running, kinda like he had an adavantage over the defense and he could view the whole field from another perspective as opposed to a regular rb, but once he did well in the All-American game with a different system and against some of the top players in the country, that changed my mind about him. Its a good pickup for WVU and I wouldnt be surprised if he ended up getting some time in while he is there. He's got the heart and determination to do it.

Talked with someone close to the Giles program. Turns out about 1/2 of the coaching staff is seriously considering getting out right now. That, combined with Ragsdale retiring, and the team going into a major rebuilding year, it could be a long, or I should say short season in Pearisburg, no matter who comes in.

All that is true but you know as well as I do they, 90% of the time, reload on the lines. With what they do have coming back, I still don't see them finishing worse than 3rd in the TRD. Also, if they're smart and offer Williams the job, they'll be just fine. Not like it matters for JM, Giles won't play them in regular season regardless.

[ QUOTE ]

. Not like it matters for JM, Giles won't play them in regular season regardless.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd see your right there, especially since Jackson's back. In the past I've been as critical of him as anyone, and if he (hopefully not) returns to his choking ways in the playoffs, I'll be ripping him again I'm sure. But the one thing he always seemed to do was shut down the single wing. That fact was a major factor in many Monroe Countians never liking the offense.

While the single wing probably got us into the playoffs in 2003, and won some games in 2004, it probably contributed to the 2006 loss to Tolsia, they really shut it down. The losses to Bluefield in 2005 and 2007 were more the result of horrific play-calling.

wing-t, single-wing, shotgun spread, split back, i-back, wishbone, yada, yada, yada... It boils down to winning one on one match-ups and execution. Bad calling happens at every level, every game, every team. Execute and win your one on one's and 99% of the time, you'll win. The play calling in the Bluefield title game was horrendous considering what was working already. However, Bluefield's talent was marginally better and the execution wasn't there regardless in the 4th.

On the bright side of things, at least JM and Giles can at least scrimmage each other. I was hoping that the scrimmages would lead to a contract (like JM and Narrows did) but you never know. If you both need the gate bad enough, it'll happen.

just a quick list of some BIG names that have stepped down in the past couple of weeks :

Chippie Chappell - Lunenburg (beat Garden in the 1986 finals)

Roger Brookes - King William (beat Honaker in the 2000 finals)

Steve Ragsdale - Giles (beat a bunch of our boys)

Tommy Reamon - Gloucester (coached the Vicks at Warwick & Aaron Brooks)

Throw in Glenn Proctor of Strasburg from earlier on and we're losing 4 A coaches with (if my numbers are right) over 140 years and 1100 wins combined!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

. Not like it matters for JM, Giles won't play them in regular season regardless.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd see your right there, especially since Jackson's back. In the past I've been as critical of him as anyone, and if he (hopefully not) returns to his choking ways in the playoffs, I'll be ripping him again I'm sure. But the one thing he always seemed to do was shut down the single wing. That fact was a major factor in many Monroe Countians never liking the offense.

While the single wing probably got us into the playoffs in 2003, and won some games in 2004, it probably contributed to the 2006 loss to Tolsia, they really shut it down. The losses to Bluefield in 2005 and 2007 were more the result of horrific play-calling.

[/ QUOTE ]

is it every this kids on the fields fault...I played the game and too me if you execute correctly the coach in genius and if you don't it's coach's fault...just throwing that out there,,,and yes i do coach now.

[/ QUOTE ]

is it every this kids on the fields fault...I played the game and too me if you execute correctly the coach in genius and if you don't it's coach's fault...just throwing that out there,,,and yes i do coach now.

[/ QUOTE ]

There alot of truth to that, but Witt went away from what got the team to Wheeling, and what was working in the game. I still believe that if we had kept running the ball, that would've been a much different game.