Ragsdale RETIRES!!!!!

VHSLhelper

Wow. I knew people had talked about this, but most thought it was 3-4 years away. Giles Football is definitly the house that Steve Ragsdale built.

Anyone know of possible replacements?

[ QUOTE ]

Wow. I knew people had talked about this, but most thought it was 3-4 years away. Giles Football is definitly the house that Steve Ragsdale built.

Anyone know of possible replacements?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, Greg Mance of Richlands.....

All of the sudden it hit me that Dave Witt might try for it. He was a Giles assistant for several years, and is the only head coach in the area with with significant experience running the single wing.

He'd get alot more support running that offense at Giles than he did in Monroe Co. Call me crazy, but somehow I think Dave Witt might've known this was coming for a month or 2.

[ QUOTE ]

All of the sudden it hit me that Dave Witt might try for it. He was a Giles assistant for several years, and is the only head coach in the area with with significant experience running the single wing.

He'd get alot more support running that offense at Giles than he did in Monroe Co. Call me crazy, but somehow I think Dave Witt might've known this was coming for a month or 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Trust me, if Mance wants it.....its his.

[ QUOTE ]

If Whitt gets the Giles job the James Monroe folks will be kicking themselves for years to come. The man is a heck of a coach, that turned an underachieving playoff program into a consistent postseason winner.

[/ QUOTE ]

And how many championships does he have to show for it? 0. And only one trip to Wheeling at that, we should've been up there the past 3 years strait, and should've won at least one of those.

James Monroe would've won most of those games even if Witt hadn't been the coach. The junior and senior classes this year have whipped up on opponent's since they were in 3rd grade. There are alot of people that think the single wing has handicapped the Mavericks. I'm still neatral in that argument, but some type of passing game would've been nice. The lack of one was a major problem last year, especially against Bluefield and Magnolia.

A perfect case of not knowing what you had until it's gone. Games such as Magnolia this past season are games that James Monroe would have lost in years previous under the likes of Don Jackson. And under Jackson you wouldn't have stood a chance against the likes of Wayne on the road. Whitt took you further and beat Bluefield more times than any other coach in the short history of your school. You lost to Bluefield because they were, as they proved twice, the better team. Whitt will be sorely missed, especially if he's racking up wins at Giles and your back to underachieving in the playoffs under the likes of Don Jackson.

Let's see, Jackson was 1-5 against Bluefield, Witt was 2-5, boy, what an improvement!

Bottom line is that once the post-season started, both of them stunk it up.

I'm personally hoping that James Monroe hires some new blood. I'm sure we coould have done alot worse, but those 2 could had been out-coached by a 10-year old in some of those playoff loses.

If Witt retired because of health reasons, then why would anyone think he would take the Giles job? Has everyone forgot about this? As far as coaches go, Donnie Jackson is just as good a coach as Witt. They both had the same problem, they folded under pressure. Both made stupid calls in critical situations.

[ QUOTE ]

Done Deal, Long time Rags assistant Jeff Williams will get the job. The GodFather of the spread stays in RichVegas to see the turf, field house, and new video scoreboard go up.

Singlewing and spread don't mix!

[/ QUOTE ]

I kind of think that the read/option spread is a version of the single wing. Just my 2 cents.

[ QUOTE ]

I kind of think that the read/option spread is a version of the single wing. Just my 2 cents.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only major difference is the single wing is better for power running, the Spread is better for speedy teams, or teams with 1 exceptional player like Jordan Roberts at Scott.

Both or similar in the fact that if you haven't extablished a passing game, your setting yourself up to be completly shutdown, but that goes for most offenses.

[ QUOTE ]

If Witt retired because of health reasons, then why would anyone think he would take the Giles job? Has everyone forgot about this? As far as coaches go, Donnie Jackson is just as good a coach as Witt. They both had the same problem, they folded under pressure. Both made stupid calls in critical situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, when you look at their records at JM, they're pretty close. I still haven't heard what "health problems" Witt had though.

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah, when you look at their records at JM, they're pretty close. I still haven't heard what "health problems" Witt had though.

[/ QUOTE ]

if he didnt make it to Wheeling...his "health" would be in jeopardy!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if he didnt make it to Wheeling...his "health" would be in jeopardy!

[/ QUOTE ]

Believe it or not, there are more important things then going to Wheeling....

what Scott ran was very unique. They sorta ran the spread but didnt hardly have anyone out as a wideout. they would have two in the backfield (Roberts and another runner), and 9 on the line at times with most plays just being for Roberts. If it wasnt that setup, it was Roberts and another in the backfield, 8 on the line and one wide receiver, most of those plays still resulting in the Roberts run. Its was very strange. Anyway, Im anxious to see what kind of offense they will have next year without a player like Roberts. Whatever it was that they called it, it was interesting to watch.

IMO Scott will struggle next year. They were as much of a 1-man team last year as I've seen in a while. They were similar to the Liberty teams with Tommy Newman a few years ago, only Roberts was better.

Without Roberts, Scott would've been lucky to make the playoffs.

With Roberts, Scott isn't a playoff team in single A Div 2 in VA. Avg. team with one good back and good enough line in the scheme to create the big play. Bluefield, JM, Wayne and Magnolia were the only teams from WV I saw last year worth even talking about.

I agree for this past year and for this season coming up. Without Roberts, I dont see Scott making any noise. Much like Noel Devine on his high school team; one-man show. Once they got into playoffs and played a decent team from the east coast/south florida, he got shut down and so did North Fort Myers.

[ QUOTE ]

With Roberts, Scott isn't a playoff team in single A Div 2 in VA. Avg. team with one good back and good enough line in the scheme to create the big play. Bluefield, JM, Wayne and Magnolia were the only teams from WV I saw last year worth even talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]

With Roberts, Scott would have made the playoffs in VA Class A, D-2. I saw the kid play, by far the best running back I've seen on a high school field since Bradshaw. When he touched the ball, he had a chance to score...

Without Roberts, Scott won't win four games...

No, I meant with Roberts. Seen plenty of football this year in both states (Bluefield 4 or 5 times, JM the same one of them being Scott, Giles and Narrows numerous times, GW and Floyd). And Scott was not a playoff caliber team in Region C or D in VA. I know GW, Giles, Floyd, Gate City, Lebanon, hell even D 1 Clintwood would have beaten Scott by 2 TDs. Roberts hell of running back that kept a mediocre team afloat among mediocre opponents until they played a good team then it got ugly quick.