Detroit Court?????

wvuraiders

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news?slug=ga-midwestnotes032708&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

THE BIG HOUSES

The NCAA is playing two of the regionals in domed NFL stadiums, here at Ford Field and at Houston’s Reliant Stadium, and experimenting with a new placement of the courts.

The courts in Detroit and Houston are set up where the 50-yard line would be rather than at one of the corners of the stadium. That makes the sightlines different for fans, and for shooters. The court actually is raised 27 inches off the ground.

It will be a different perspective for some coaches too. They can opt to sit on a stool on the floor above their benches.

Players weighed in on the setup:

• Stephen Curry, Davidson: “Depth perception with the rims, on the field, it’s kind of hard to adjust to. But that’s what practice is for, just to get used to the arena and the atmosphere. I’m actually looking forward to playing here. I’ve never played in this kind of arena before. It should be fun.â€

• Michael Flowers, Wisconsin: “I don’t think it’s going to be tough. The baskets are still 10 feet, the court is the same length, so it’s just like playing anywhere else. One of the good things about playing in the Big Ten is that Minnesota’s floor is up just like this, so it shouldn’t be too tough getting used to.â€

• Scottie Reynolds, Villanova: “We got sent an email overview of the court. You could see all the stands and you see this little wooden thing, it was about like thumbnail-small. We were looking for the court. Then we saw it in the middle. It was amazing to see from a picture aspect. When you get out there and start playing, getting the feel of it, it just feels like a regular gym. … But what about [if] we go for a loose ball, dive and go off the court? I mean, that’s the thing I was scared about.â€

• Russell Robinson, Kansas: “The court elevation, I don’t think that’s going to be a problem. I can play on a roof, you know, if that’s where we have to play.â€

This year’s Final Four is at the Alamodome in San Antonio, where the court will be situated near one of the end zones. Detroit will play host to the Final Four in 2009.

The rationale for the new setup is simple: to sell more tickets. In Detroit, 57,000 two-day passes have been purchased. Organizers are expecting more than 105,000 fans for the weekend.