Bluefield gets a 10th game...

edrforshey

When you say the 2007 Bluefield team is a weak link, I think it speaks as to how dominant and talented those 1997 and 2004 teams were. There isn't a doubt in my mind that each were the best team in WV during their respective years.

[ QUOTE ]

When you say the 2007 Bluefield team is a weak link, I think it speaks as to how dominant and talented those 1997 and 2004 teams were. There isn't a doubt in my mind that each were the best team in WV during their respective years.

[/ QUOTE ]

very well spoken

Looking at the NC opponent, I don't have any doubts that Charlotte Country Day isn't going to be tough, but their high school enrollment is around 400. The 1600 student number is K-12. Also, their 3-A class is in the private school division. Most of those schools are pretty school. A good comparison for CCD is probably Wheeling Central which is no slouch.

But if it makes you feel better I get to hear it from my parents,relatives,friends,and coworkers about how none of the teams from the 70's,80's 90's and 00's could beat the teams from the 60's...LOL.

Your family is right to keep stressing that point. Remember that Bluefield at one time put skill position players at D-1 Schools and was "the program" of the state of West Virginia in any classification. Trying to compare Simon's and accomplishments with Gainer's is comparing baloney to prime rib.

I will admit that the '04 and '97 teams were head and shoulders above the '07 team. And Simon is a great coach but i dont think anyone compares to what Gainer did.

[ QUOTE ]

I will admit that the '04 and '97 teams were head and shoulders above the '07 team. And Simon is a great coach but i dont think anyone compares to what Gainer did.

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all I will say that Gainer is definitely heads and shoulders above Simon as a coach but he had some significant advantages over Simon. The main one that stands out to me is that Bluefield was still a booming, thriving community when Gainer coached which equates into a higher population/more talent.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all I will say that Gainer is definitely heads and shoulders above Simon as a coach but he had some significant advantages over Simon. The main one that stands out to me is that Bluefield was still a booming, thriving community when Gainer coached which equates into a higher population/more talent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but very few men go 87-6-1 in a decade. Not to mention that he spawned the likes of John Chmara,Glynn Carlock, and Willis White. There will never be another coach in the state of West Virginia that will touch him. Remember he had about 3 undefeated teams in that time frame that never got the chance to play for the title or the resume would have looked even more impressive.

[ QUOTE ]

Correct me if im wrong, but didn't Patrick Henry name their new stadium after Coach Gainer?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. He went down there, after coaching at Bluefield, and turned a rag-tag bunch that hadn't ever really won...into winners. He made some believers along the way, too.

Gainer was a man of the details. Every little thing had to follow a military precision. I believe he was the guy who started the drills as they're done now, the way the players line up in lines, reaction drills, the whole thing.