And the US Soccer team proves...

GMan

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

who cares?

Football is America. Soccer never will be. Will soccer succeed in the USA? That has yet to be seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

2002 World Cup. We played Germany tough and we lost in a controversial game. While that was 6 years ago, that had been our only huge success. But I do believe success will be there in a few years.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember that, I believe we beat portugal in the pool play. Nevertheless, the US must WIN after pool play before it gets any credit, and then do it more than once.

Also, in 2006, USA never made it out of pool play, which discredited the 2002 run and tough loss...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well we did have one of the toughest groups, but we didn't perform well anyway. We had our chance but blew it to a Ghana team that was ready to play and advance.

How many kids play rec league football these days GMAn?

You've got 800+ kids that will play rec league soccer at the East River soccer complex this fall. Trust me, it's coming and coming quick!!!!

Heck, I started playing football in the 2nd grade & loved it. My boys showed an interest in soccer so I didn't pull this elitist BS and demand them play football because it is America's sport. I have grown to be addicted to soccer, I coached for many years until my boys got to middle school & high school. I still go support BHS every Friday night and have been to Wheeling every year, you can have more than one sport dude, this nail in the coffin nonsense has got to go. I respected and learned from Coaches Pruett, Simon, Ferrell, Chmara, and others. My Son learns from and respects Coach Kevin Goforth. His choice of sport not you guys who don't think it's real sport.

One last thing, you stated this.

that the US is still years behind in the sport...maybe this was a nail in the coffin of soccer as a "major" sport in the US...

Did you know they played with 10 players vs 11, and they were missing 2 of their super stars, Adu & Bradley. They only lost 2-1. I'm not saying should of, would of, could of by any means, but that isn't bad losing 2-1 missing 2 stars and being down a man.

People have been saying for years that soccer was coming. More and more kids have been playing youth soccer for a while now, and still it is not a sport that many people pay attention too.

Untill the U.S. actually wins something on the international stage, it will not become a major spectator sport in this country.

For example, as great as Blacksburg soccer is, they draw less than half of what their football team does when it is having a decent year. Outside of the hard core fans, it just doesn't draw an audience.

As a kid I played both football and soccer, and enjoyed playing both. I would never say that soccer is not a sport. But to be honest, I find watching soccer, except at the highest levels to be terribly boring. And even at the highest levels I can't watch a complete game.

Guest JJBrickface

Pirate, I think you explain it quite well. Soccer can be entertaining but to most people football is the most exciting sport ever. Soccer will never over take it.

i'm a giant sport fan, but i also find soccer boring as a spectator. i have a hard time getting into a sport where half the body is forbidden from touching the ball for all but 2 people on the (way too large) field.

soccer is the world's most popular sport because a large percentage of the world lives in poverty, and face it--soccer is way less of an expensive sport than most others, football in particular. basketball is a great example of a low-cost sport that's gaining international popularity. honestly, i'd look for basketball to equal soccer's international popularity within 30 years, simply because it's more exciting to watch. (and to play, i think.)

[ QUOTE ]

i'm a giant sport fan, but i also find soccer boring as a spectator. i have a hard time getting into a sport where half the body is forbidden from touching the ball for all but 2 people on the (way too large) field.

soccer is the world's most popular sport because a large percentage of the world lives in poverty, and face it--soccer is way less of an expensive sport than most others, football in particular. basketball is a great example of a low-cost sport that's gaining international popularity. honestly, i'd look for basketball to equal soccer's international popularity within 30 years, simply because it's more exciting to watch. (and to play, i think.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong on both of those. You just can't use your hands and forearms. Everything else is fair game. And its the world most popular game because they have been playing it for so long and it has nothing to do with poverty. Expensive? It is expensive to play soccer. You may not think so, but trust me it is.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

no its not. You need a ball. Cleats may or may not have to be used, neither do shinguards. Goals arent needed.

Same with basketball, just a ball and a goal found anywhere is needed.

Football on the other hand, if played correctly or in a league takes all kinds of equipment, usually hundreds of dollars worth... And really cant be played with just a pickup game. (Although nothing used to beat a backyard football game on occasion)

[ QUOTE ]

no its not. You need a ball. Cleats may or may not have to be used, neither do shinguards. Goals arent needed.

Same with basketball, just a ball and a goal found anywhere is needed.

Football on the other hand, if played correctly or in a league takes all kinds of equipment, usually hundreds of dollars worth... And really cant be played with just a pickup game. (Although nothing used to beat a backyard football game on occasion)

[/ QUOTE ]

So if played correctly soccer would be expensive. You just compared pick up soccer to a football league.

Edit: Goals range from 2,000 to 3,000 dollars a piece. So that is 4,000-6,000 just on goals. And nets need to be replaced when riped or torn about every year or two. Nets cost around 80 dollars a piece. Jerseys are expensive at about 100 dollars for two jerseys and 1 pair of shorts. A good pair of cleats ranges from 55 to 300 dollars. If you are a goalie, a good pair of gloves ranges from 40 to 100 dollars. A soccer ball is about 30 bucks for a decent match ball, but a really good ball can range in the hundreds. So most people think that soccer isn't expensive, but it is. Not as much as football, but it can be money consuming.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Right, but you dont need those things to be good at soccer. You can excel without never really playing a match. Soccer is an easy sport to play which is why you see the growing numbers in little league. I played soccer all my life, im not biased against it, but its just the facts.

In order to be good at football, you have to play in a league. There is nothing to comapare to actual football, compared to soccer are basketball where pickup games are always possible.

[ QUOTE ]

Right, but you dont need those things to be good at soccer. You can excel without never really playing a match. Soccer is an easy sport to play which is why you see the growing numbers in little league. I played soccer all my life, im not biased against it, but its just the facts.

In order to be good at football, you have to play in a league. There is nothing to comapare to actual football, compared to soccer are basketball where pickup games are always possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

i disagree there...i believe you can be a great football player if you start playing backyard football and pick up games...

Guest BEAVERTAIL

i dont see how, ive never seen a pickup game with an offensive line. or defensive.

Plus with all the plays, techniques, and schemes in football that are never translated into a backyard pickup game...

but when you play backyard football you have to be an athlete just as much as when you play organized football...when you play backyard you still need to be faster stronger and smarter than the other players on the field...you can become a better player from playing backyard and pickup football...just like you can become a good soccer player from playing pickup soccer...i know i have become a better soccer player from playing pickup with people i didnt even know when i was younger..just playing with no goalies and no shoes on at a beach...and a trashcan as a goal...i know im proving your point on the expenses but all you need is a football to play backyard...but by playing with those kids you will become better because you need skill just like in playing backyard football you need skill...