BDT article with great Beaver/Graham facts and stats

Bluefield_Rules

http://www.bdtonline.com/localsports/local_story_240205447.html

Cole knows both sides of Beaver-Graham

By BRIAN WOODSON

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

BLUEFIELD — Will Cole has been a part of the Bluefield and Graham football rivalry from both sides of the field.

He was on the winning side with the G-Men in ‘06, and was a winner for the Beavers in ‘07.

Obviously, Cole is pulling for Bluefield in ‘08. After all, he’s the quarterback for the Beavers.

“I’m really excited, this is my senior year, my last Beaver-Graham game so I can’t wait,†Cole said.

Cole transferred to Bluefield from Graham before last season. As the Beavers’ signal-caller, Cole led Bluefield to a 13-0 record and the Class AA state championship.

While much of that team graduated, Bluefield is still starting the ‘08 season at the top of the state polls. Not that Cole is paying much attention to that attention.

“Honestly, I don’t really think we think about that,†Cole said. “Probably some of the team doesn’t even know where we’re ranked.

“We don’t really pay attention to that, we just go out and play hard and practice hard and just try to get better every day.â€

While the Beavers lost such talented athletes as Ansel Ponder and Shaun Brooks, the offensive line also departed as one. That is obviously a concern for Bluefield, but Cole has been pleased with the progress made by a quartet of sophomores in Kory Saddler, Keith Ferguson, Parker Perdue and Brenten Brooks, and junior John Gibson.

“I’ve got confidence in them, they really work hard,†Cole said. “They’re young and it’s their first year playing so they’re really pushing each other to try and get better. I think they’ll work real hard...

“We’ve got a lot of good skill and young line that is coming together. Every day in practice they are getting better, and they really want to learn to try and get better. I’m real excited about them.â€

Cole stood on the sidelines and watched when the Beavers were on defense during their championship run last season. Not this year.

“I had played defense in middle school and my ninth grade year and I really hadn’t played it since then,†Cole said. “Coach (Fred Simon) thought I could play some safety and I believed in myself that I could and he gave me a chance and I’m just trying to make the most of it.â€

While the Beaver-Graham is always the headline game of the season, it holds even more relevance to Cole. After all, he played for the G-Men in ‘06 when Graham won 26-6. Last year, Cole led the Beavers back 26-12.

The teams split a pair of decisions when Cole was a freshman at Graham.

“It means a lot because I went to school with some of those guys over there and played with them,†Cole said. “It means a lot to me and I’m real excited for Friday. This is my last year and I can’t wait.â€

Series notes: Bluefield holds a 59-20-2 advantage in the series, which has been played every year from 1928-2007, with the exception of ‘37. The first meeting was in 1911, a 17-5 win for Bluefield. The ties came in ‘48 (2-2) and ‘57 (12-12). The teams played twice in ‘05, splitting a pair of games.

In those 59 wins, the Beavers have recorded 28 shutouts. Graham has blanked Bluefield six times. The biggest margin of victory for Bluefield was 61 in a 61-0 rout in ‘71. Graham’s largest winning spread was 48 during a 56-8 whipping in ‘01.

Bluefield has scored 1,517 points (18.7 ppg), while the G-Men have tallied 800 (9.9 ppg). The Beavers were 10-0-1 from ‘39-49, and 10-0 from ‘64-73. Graham has won two straight four different times, ‘50-51, ‘78-79, ‘89-90 and ‘01-02.

The Beavers are 9-0 in years they’ve won state titles. Graham is 2-1 in the same scenario. The G-Men has had its most success this decade, winning four of nine games. Bluefield dominated the ‘40s, compiling a 9-0-1 mark.

Amazingly, only seven head coaches have been at the two schools since 1959. Bluefield has been led by Merrill Gainer, John Chmara and Fred Simon. The G-Men have been instructed by Lawrence “Burrhead†Bradley, Bob Hedrick, Glynn Carlock and Doug Marrs.

—Contact Brian Woodson

bwoodson@bdtonline.com

actually that is correct grammar. insert the team for the g-men...the team has had its most success...its correct..it just doesnt look right because g-men is plural

Actually, either way would be correct even thoough it does sound funny as "The G-Men has...".