Is holston the real deal?

vols4life

i'm from marion and went to school there but my family is from around damascus va.i grew up going to both school's games when i could.do you think if they beat ph this yr they may go pretty far?they have never beat ph as fas as i know.

Yeah they have before, but it's been a while. The last time they beat PH was in 1993. They also beat Lebanon that year. I think they were coached by Richie Thomas that year, who took the coaching job at PH the next year and had several very successful seasons at PH in the mid to late 90's.

no,coach web was there then.i know richie thomas and he never coached there.i also phoned my uncle who played for holston in the early 80's and is a die hard cav fan.he said they never even beat them in scrimmages.come to think of it my cousin played for ph when crutchfield was there and i remember him scoring 1 or 2 tds against holston.like i said i got family everywhere in washington county..i just happen to be lucky and be in smyth county..lol

They might be, but last year they said they were the real deal and were like 5-0. Then we go down to Holston and bring them back to reality beating them 46-0. D1 is a joke, and they I guess are the real deal in D1. But won't make past 1st round of playoffs if playoffs at all.

that's ok..i watched that game..by the way..is this 07 or 08..the past is long gone.i think if u play chilhowie,ph,and of coarse the rocky maroons and u win..i don't think you are a joke.when is gw gonna be double a..your bigger than marion..why don't you guys play us?just tired of hearing gw fans as well as others.then you drop 2 games.never understood that.brag,but get beat.whatever i guess..just a game but be classy about it.

that's ok..i watched that game..by the way..is this 07 or 08..the past is long gone.i think if u play chilhowie,ph,and of coarse the rocky maroons and u win..i don't think you are a joke.when is gw gonna be double a..your bigger than marion..why don't you guys play us?just tired of hearing gw fans as well as others.then you drop 2 games.never understood that.brag,but get beat.whatever i guess..just a game but be classy about it.

We have played two teams that Marion will/would lose to. And I was talking about 07. OK when they beat Chilhowie or GW they will not be a joke. PH is down, and should lose to Holston this year. We only have 468 students and PH has two less at 466 so why go up to AA? We aren't even the biggest school in the county? Also I think the reason that GW and Marion don't play each other is because of an incident at a game between them years ago when a fan was killed/seriously injured by a beer bottle or something like that. And no offense, but I would rather us play Radford, Tazewell, Floyd, and Giles than Marion any year.

And no offense, but I would rather us play Radford, Tazewell, Floyd, and Giles than Marion any year.

Are you serious???:rolleyes: How could we take you serious any way with a signature like that, "Soccer is the REAL footbal..... come on dude!!!:D

Be safe all!!!!

why?any reason..i gotta hear this

What about the teams? Tazewell is better than you. Radford is better than you. Floyd is better than you. And Giles, is not too good this year, but usually have a very good team. Also we play Fort Chiswell, nice tune up for district play and county rivalry. I guess we could trade Tazewell for Marion. But I wouldn't mind playing Marion. We play you in every other sport, so idk why we don't play in football.

lol,i have heard this for yrs..everybody is better than marion..i think when you win a state title something happens to your teams way of thinking the next few yrs..like everybody owes you something.i think gw isn't that great and i'd put marion up against floyd or radford.we play tazewell so we will see.giles is down but the single wing is still dangerous.

lol,i have heard this for yrs..everybody is better than marion..i think when you win a state title something happens to your teams way of thinking the next few yrs..like everybody owes you something.i think gw isn't that great and i'd put marion up against floyd or radford.we play tazewell so we will see.giles is down but the single wing is still dangerous.

Dude the state title was like 6 years ago. Maybe you think how good a team is by their record? GW is 0-2 but has played two of the best teams on this side of the state. And Marion lost to a good Chilhowie team and I can't remember who else they have played? I think PH and they are bad this year.

no,coach web was there then.i know richie thomas and he never coached there.i also phoned my uncle who played for holston in the early 80's and is a die hard cav fan.he said they never even beat them in scrimmages.come to think of it my cousin played for ph when crutchfield was there and i remember him scoring 1 or 2 tds against holston.like i said i got family everywhere in washington county..i just happen to be lucky and be in smyth county..lol

Over on hogoheegee.com, you can pull up history of every district team since 1988.

On November 5, 1993: Holston beat PH 22-15

But that's the only time that I can find that it has happened.

rebel i'll check and see..if i'm wrong i'll be the first to say i'm a moron.lol..as for viva.this is a holston thread..if you wanna down other teams be my guest but i'm done talking about how gw is this or that..we can say whatever but the truth is at the end of the game.

rebel i'll check and see..if i'm wrong i'll be the first to say i'm a moron.lol..as for viva.this is a holston thread..if you wanna down other teams be my guest but i'm done talking about how gw is this or that..we can say whatever but the truth is at the end of the game.

phis down but not quite as bad asb everyone thinks. they have no depth. beating abindon at half, and marion only had them 7-3 at half. holston and ph will be good one....and by the way to say marion would beat radford....not so fast my friend. they are stout ive senn both raddy and marion. but igive edge to raddy

marion really tried not to expose there whole offense to graham.i sat beside the scouts and it looked like they wrote everytime a marion player took a breathe.lol..we can score really fast but i''ll be alil more comfy if we can beat graham..so i'm not gonna shoot my mouth off like others.we pretty good..but we can always improve.by the way,do you know if holston has ever beat ph..it says they did on hogo.com but man..i really think that's wrong?trying to get the correct info

I went to the HHS and JSB game, Holston has a few trick plays but only a couple kids you have to watch out for, when they get into district play they are going to struggle anyone with speed can easily beat them. JSB looked bad they are not conditioned well. They do seem to step up at times but I don't know.... I still say Holston has not really played anyone yet we will see.

How do you get that GW is bigger than Marion? See below enrollment numbers for the past 8 years for both teams, as proivded by the Virginia Department of Education.

George Wythe(W) 436 457 460 467 467 441 456 468

Marion 825 814 797 769 780 793 828 821

If you want Marion to get respect for their program, you will need to build a program worthy of respect. You can't play all single A teams on your non-district schedule, that are almost half your enrollment, and then come on here and talk junk to the same single A schools. Everyone on here brags about their team from time to time, but at least get your facts straight before you try to defend your team. Most single A teams that play Marion only do so for the easy points that come from playing up, win or lose. GW would rather play historically qualilty teams so they can build their program up. (especially after the 9-1 season that kept them home on the point system) I don't have any problem with Marion, only fans from Marion who think that just because GW puts out strong teams, it must be because they are bigger than everyone they play.

How do you get that GW is bigger than Marion? See below enrollment numbers for the past 8 years for both teams, as proivded by the Virginia Department of Education.

George Wythe(W) 436 457 460 467 467 441 456 468

Marion 825 814 797 769 780 793 828 821

If you want Marion to get respect for their program, you will need to build a program worthy of respect. You can't play all single A teams on your non-district schedule, that are almost half your enrollment, and then come on here and talk junk to the same single A schools. Everyone on here brags about their team from time to time, but at least get your facts straight before you try to defend your team. Most single A teams that play Marion only do so for the easy points that come from playing up, win or lose. GW would rather play historically qualilty teams so they can build their program up. (especially after the 9-1 season that kept them home on the point system) I don't have any problem with Marion, only fans from Marion who think that just because GW puts out strong teams, it must be because they are bigger than everyone they play.

This is what I was trying to say but couldn't find the #s. And like he said I would rather play Floyd, Radford, Giles and perhaps beat them and get points as well as limit their points. If we played Marion, those schools could be playing small schools and getting points that they might not get if we played them. So some of it has to do with points.

rebel,i see what your sayin..i gotta double check that cause i think they got it turned around wrong.cause that's when my cousin played.lol..god,if they beat them while he was a sr..i'll rag him.lol

I'm pretty sure it's right. I use microfilm from the Bristol Public Library to get the old scores. Unless I wrote it down wrong, which is possible, I'm pretty sure it's correct. If you really want to verify, get the microfilm from that year or borrow someone's yearbook from that era.

you know,why is it wytheville is bigger than marion and has a bigger ego problem.if you say anything about the ROCKY MAROONS your fans get bent out of shape.it's the same story.but once again this is a HOLSTON thread.if you wanna down marion start your own thread.but i'm seeing why we don't play gw..on that note i will not respond or say anymore on the gw,marion issuse.

you know,why is it wytheville is bigger than marion and has a bigger ego problem.if you say anything about the ROCKY MAROONS your fans get bent out of shape.it's the same story.but once again this is a HOLSTON thread.if you wanna down marion start your own thread.but i'm seeing why we don't play gw..on that note i will not respond or say anymore on the gw,marion issuse.

I never down played the 'Canes. I just said they would most likely lose to Floyd, Radford, and Tazewell. I bet most people on the board would agree as well.

Dude, GW is an easy team for all of us to hate on. They're successful. For years, people wanted them to go back to AA, but now that enrollment numbers are easy access, it's easy to see - they just plain itty bitty like everyone else in the Hogo.

GW would smack Marion in the mouth - in anything. For the last 3 or 4 years, Chilhowie considers GW a bigger rival than Marion. I hate that. I wish the Marion/Chilhowie rivalry was what it was back in the day - but it just isn't. It still has a bit of stank on it but for the most part, Chilhowie would rather go 1-9 and beat GW than to go 9-1 and lose to Marion.

(Note: Some analogies may be exaggerated for the purpose of making a point)

Marion and GW scrimmaged back in the early 2000's when Marion had some successful years. Personally, I'd love for the two teams to play and it count. The size of the schools and proximity would probably have a pretty decent turnout.

And to make this post "Holston thread worthy": The Cavs are the real deal on a D1 level and will probably make it to the Reg C finals. Depending on how EastMont and Bath fare the rest of the year, they have a good shot at winning it. But Clintwood would smear them in the semis if they were fortunate enough to get that far. Which personally, I'd like to see it happen- the Cavs have worked hard to get the program up. They deserve a decent playoff run.

as i said before..i'm done with talking about other schools.holston deserves a good run.i really think if they get the ph game under there belt they will do very nicely..to say they will win it all might be a stretch.