Cumulative ACC records since 2004 expansion...

GMan

I found this to be interesting...

acc-1.gif

It's unbelievable for me to see that we've outperformed MIA, FSU, WF, NCST, UMD, UNC, Dook. Well, not the last four, of course. Too bad that'll drop like a lead balloon when we go 0-8 this year.

And of course the Hokies are stoked about ACC expansion. I'd be, too, if our sports programs improved that much.

VT has dominated since they have been in, and recently I heard that the ACC didn't want VT, but instead they wanted Syracuse. Don't know if it was true, but I found this interesting.

They didn't want VT because they were trying to expand into the N.Y. television market. They already had Virginia covered and that is why they wanted Syracuse. UVA president John Casteen and Virgina Governor at the time Mark Warner blocked any expansion attempt that didn't include VT.

They didn't want VT because they were trying to expand into the N.Y. television market. They already had Virginia covered and that is why they wanted Syracuse. UVA president John Casteen and Virgina Governor at the time Mark Warner blocked any expansion attempt that didn't include VT.

Casteen was strong-armed by Warner into that move. Not to mention, UVA's fanbase as a whole was vehemently opposed to the move.

Casteen was strong-armed by Warner into that move. Not to mention, UVA's fanbase as a whole was vehemently opposed to the move.

I was told by one of the employees with the VT athletics department that Casteen was for VT getting in all along even before Warner stepped to the mic.

From an in depth article written a couple on years ago on TSL about the expansion.......

"Conventional wisdom says that Virginia Governor Mark Warner pressured John Casteen into supporting Virginia Tech, but I’ve talked to more than one source that says Warner didn’t have to, that Casteen was pro-Tech all the way. The information about the 1999 expansion presented at the beginning of this article supports the notion that Casteen has been in VT’s corner for a long time. Casteen was the secretary of education for the state of Virginia from 1982 to 1985, so he gets it. He sees the big picture.

If you ask Charles Steger about Warner – and I’ve talked to people who have – Steger will tell you two things: (1) any pressure that Warner applied was not to Casteen directly, but to Virginia’s Board of Visitors, many of whom were pressuring Casteen to drop his support of VT. Warner, who as Governor appoints the members of the BOV, told the Virginia BOV to back off of Casteen; (2) Warner is a “man of action.” I am told that Steger says item #2 with a smile."

Edited by bhs7695

VT has dominated since they have been in, and recently I heard that the ACC didn't want VT, but instead they wanted Syracuse. Don't know if it was true, but I found this interesting.

It is true......and add to that the fact that VT was a big part of the Big East lawsuit against the ACC for trying to take Miami,BC,and Syracuse to the ACC. That is until they dropped Syracuse and offered VT. Then they abandoned their partners in the lawsuit and ran off to the ACC. To me that shows the real colors of Virginia Tech......maroon,orange, and yellow........

I was told by one of the employees with the VT athletics department that Casteen was for VT getting in all along even before Warner stepped to the mic.

From an in depth article written a couple on years ago on TSL about the expansion.......

"Conventional wisdom says that Virginia Governor Mark Warner pressured John Casteen into supporting Virginia Tech, but I’ve talked to more than one source that says Warner didn’t have to, that Casteen was pro-Tech all the way. The information about the 1999 expansion presented at the beginning of this article supports the notion that Casteen has been in VT’s corner for a long time. Casteen was the secretary of education for the state of Virginia from 1982 to 1985, so he gets it. He sees the big picture.

If you ask Charles Steger about Warner – and I’ve talked to people who have – Steger will tell you two things: (1) any pressure that Warner applied was not to Casteen directly, but to Virginia’s Board of Visitors, many of whom were pressuring Casteen to drop his support of VT. Warner, who as Governor appoints the members of the BOV, told the Virginia BOV to back off of Casteen; (2) Warner is a “man of action.†I am told that Steger says item #2 with a smile."

TSL's not exactly the most unbiased source for information. ;). But mine isn't free from reproach, either, considering where I come from.

Casteen has the backbone of a jellyfish, so this might actually be right. But the popular consensus around Charlottesville absolutely did not want VT in the conference. They wanted Syracuse. Warner threatened to hit UVA in the purse-strings, and since money rules all up there, we buckled. They wanted that 6% state funding a little too badly. Which begs the issue: why buckle when you could just jack the tuition up an extra $3K and remove "state-supported" status altogether.

It is true......and add to that the fact that VT was a big part of the Big East lawsuit against the ACC for trying to take Miami,BC,and Syracuse to the ACC. That is until they dropped Syracuse and offered VT. Then they abandoned their partners in the lawsuit and ran off to the ACC. To me that shows the real colors of Virginia Tech......maroon,orange, and yellow........

I believe it was WVU & Rutgers that joined a statement with Syracuse that read something to the effect that they would not accept an invitaton for all sports into the BE unless Temple and VT were included in '94. How did that turn out??? Hmmm.........

It wasn't until the BE felt they owed something to VT for carrying the league in football for a few years in football did they look to invite VT for all sports. Oh, and the entrance fee had gone from $500K to $2.5M and no revenue sharing for five years. WVU & Rutgers paid $500K and got to share right away.

VT knew where they stood in the eyes of the BE, they were not wanted.