Are the wheels falling off in Morgantown?

hokie07

I found this article very interesting. I'm not saying one way or the other, but this article does make you think a little bit and could warrant a little skepticism in Morgantown...

http://www.da.wvu.edu/show_article.php?story_id=39219

White can't go out like this

Issue Date: Thursday September 25, 2008 Section: Sports Section

Brandon Brown

When West Virginia quarterback Pat White endorsed Bill Stewart for the head coaching spot after the Mountaineers’ Fiesta Bowl victory on Jan. 2, he was taking a chance.

“He deserves it,†White said. “A great man. A great coach. All the players respect him, and all the players love him. You couldn’t ask for a better man to lead us to victory today.â€

Yes, after one of the most astounding wins in WVU sports history, Stewart was a big reason that the Mountaineers had the nerve to pull off the upset.

But after the last two games – losses to East Carolina and Colorado – many are asking for Stew’s head on a platter.

But is Stewart really to blame for everything that has happened the past two games?

Remember, there is more to it than just the head coach – and Stewart put it perfectly.

“We are a football team. We are not a football offense or a football defense or a football special teams, we’re a team. T-E-A-M,†Stewart said. “We are a family, and that’s how it has always been at West Virginia University and that’s the way it’s going to stay. That’s what it’s all about.â€

And no one over the past four years has exemplified team play more than White, who has put his heart and soul into every game he’s played in.

Against Pitt last year in possibly the most gut-wrenching performance of White’s career, he was forced to leave the game after dislocating his non-throwing thumb.

After watching from the sideline for the better part of the second half, White returned to the field to a resounding roar of the crowd, only for his and his team effort to come to nil.

He was redeemed a month later in the Fiesta Bowl, playing one of the best games of his Mountaineer career.

Stewart was there.

But some of the supporting cast of the 2008 edition of the Mountaineer football team was not.

From as far up as the coaching staff, it looks as if there is no unity.

There’s confusion. There’s indecision.

Therein lies the problem.

I have to admit that when I heard of all the different looks and different schemes that offensive coordinator Jeff Mullen would bring to our offense, I got extremely fired up.

If only we could bring a legitimate vertical passing game to our former offense, we would be virtually unstoppable.

And after the Villanova game, I was ready to anoint Mullen a genius.

But after watching two offensive debacles in a row, I’m asking him, or whoever will hear me, for a headset.

If someone said that WVU would only score 17 points over a two-game span this year, I would have called them crazy. Hell, over the past years whenever WVU didn’t score 17 points in a two-quarter span, I was wondering what the matter was.

White is not getting the play calls or the effort around him to do anything good with the football.

His touchdown against Colorado was scored purely because the guy has talent and can simply fly.

It was all him.

And now, it seems that White should get more control of the offense.

After practice on Tuesday, White and Mullen were two of the last to come off the field, but as they walked off, the two stopped and looked to have conversation that was less than buddy-buddy.

White proceeded to walk into the locker room, leaving Mullen standing, shaking his head.

“A fifth-year senior quarterback that fights you,†Mullen said of White on Tuesday.

But that’s only because White knows what it takes to be a winner at West Virginia University.

As soft-spoken as one can get off the field, White is anything but, on it – and it shows.

“All I saw was a bunch of tears and hurt. When my No. 5 comes off and into that locker room, and he’s crying … that’s hurt,†Stewart said of the Colorado loss.

“That’s what I saw. That’s what I live, with. That’s what I think about everyday 24/7. That’s my job to get that better.â€

But, Stew, it isn’t all your fault.

The offensive line hasn’t played well at all, receivers are dropping passes, backs are fumbling and the play calling has been atrocious.

“We have the best quarterback, I think, in the country,†Stewart said. “He needs a little help.

I found this article very interesting. I'm not saying one way or the other, but this article does make you think a little bit and could warrant a little skepticism in Morgantown...

http://www.da.wvu.edu/show_article.php?story_id=39219

White can't go out like this

Issue Date: Thursday September 25, 2008 Section: Sports Section

Brandon Brown

When West Virginia quarterback Pat White endorsed Bill Stewart for the head coaching spot after the Mountaineers’ Fiesta Bowl victory on Jan. 2, he was taking a chance.

“He deserves it,†White said. “A great man. A great coach. All the players respect him, and all the players love him. You couldn’t ask for a better man to lead us to victory today.â€

Yes, after one of the most astounding wins in WVU sports history, Stewart was a big reason that the Mountaineers had the nerve to pull off the upset.

But after the last two games – losses to East Carolina and Colorado – many are asking for Stew’s head on a platter.

But is Stewart really to blame for everything that has happened the past two games?

Remember, there is more to it than just the head coach – and Stewart put it perfectly.

“We are a football team. We are not a football offense or a football defense or a football special teams, we’re a team. T-E-A-M,†Stewart said. “We are a family, and that’s how it has always been at West Virginia University and that’s the way it’s going to stay. That’s what it’s all about.â€

And no one over the past four years has exemplified team play more than White, who has put his heart and soul into every game he’s played in.

Against Pitt last year in possibly the most gut-wrenching performance of White’s career, he was forced to leave the game after dislocating his non-throwing thumb.

After watching from the sideline for the better part of the second half, White returned to the field to a resounding roar of the crowd, only for his and his team effort to come to nil.

He was redeemed a month later in the Fiesta Bowl, playing one of the best games of his Mountaineer career.

Stewart was there.

But some of the supporting cast of the 2008 edition of the Mountaineer football team was not.

From as far up as the coaching staff, it looks as if there is no unity.

There’s confusion. There’s indecision.

Therein lies the problem.

I have to admit that when I heard of all the different looks and different schemes that offensive coordinator Jeff Mullen would bring to our offense, I got extremely fired up.

If only we could bring a legitimate vertical passing game to our former offense, we would be virtually unstoppable.

And after the Villanova game, I was ready to anoint Mullen a genius.

But after watching two offensive debacles in a row, I’m asking him, or whoever will hear me, for a headset.

If someone said that WVU would only score 17 points over a two-game span this year, I would have called them crazy. Hell, over the past years whenever WVU didn’t score 17 points in a two-quarter span, I was wondering what the matter was.

White is not getting the play calls or the effort around him to do anything good with the football.

His touchdown against Colorado was scored purely because the guy has talent and can simply fly.

It was all him.

And now, it seems that White should get more control of the offense.

After practice on Tuesday, White and Mullen were two of the last to come off the field, but as they walked off, the two stopped and looked to have conversation that was less than buddy-buddy.

White proceeded to walk into the locker room, leaving Mullen standing, shaking his head.

“A fifth-year senior quarterback that fights you,†Mullen said of White on Tuesday.

But that’s only because White knows what it takes to be a winner at West Virginia University.

As soft-spoken as one can get off the field, White is anything but, on it – and it shows.

“All I saw was a bunch of tears and hurt. When my No. 5 comes off and into that locker room, and he’s crying … that’s hurt,†Stewart said of the Colorado loss.

“That’s what I saw. That’s what I live, with. That’s what I think about everyday 24/7. That’s my job to get that better.â€

But, Stew, it isn’t all your fault.

The offensive line hasn’t played well at all, receivers are dropping passes, backs are fumbling and the play calling has been atrocious.

“We have the best quarterback, I think, in the country,†Stewart said. “He needs a little help.

nm

Ummmm, you do know that Hokie07 goes to Marshall, don't you???

Guess not, but anyway, that's a typical response from a WVU fan...

BTW, my "yeah boy" comment was a tribute to Flava Flav...

And with you being a WVU fan, I really don't think you have a right to bring up stuff from years ago, Mr. I'm a fan of the contenders for the 2008 Fulmer Cup Championship...

http://www.sportsargumentwiki.com/index.php?title=Fulmer_Cup

<fieldgeneral>We're #3, we're #3, we're #3.....</fieldgeneral>

no i don't know who is a fan of, but his screen name is hokie 07.......I think that may make most folks to tend to believe he is a fan of the hokies.....I mean why make a screen name in a sports message board that shows a team that you are not a fan of. Why isn't he Herd 07? If he is a fan of VT...then it's warranted. LOl.....it was just for fun...don't get ur drawers in a bunch. Besides, wasn't Chris Henry a few years back? Yeah he's not been in Morgantown for a while now.

And with you being a WVU fan, I really don't think you have a right to bring up stuff from years ago, QUOTE]

ummmmmmmmmmm Chris Henry was a few years ago. I was responding in good fun to the wvu pics that he did in fun. Never addressed anyone else. So the comment about bringing up old stuff is bogus.

Chris Henry and Pacman Jones. We need a third for WVU's Christmas play... :P

Who was the former WVU player from the late 90's early 00's that broke into a supermarket to rob it, made his getaway through the woods, then emerged from the woods at the roadway only to flag down a van to hitch a ride and the van turned out to be the crime scene unit headed to the supermarket he just robbed to collect evidence???

Who was the former WVU player from the late 90's early 00's that broke into a supermarket to rob it, made his getaway through the woods, then emerged from the woods at the roadway only to flag down a van to hitch a ride and the van turned out to be the crime scene unit headed to the supermarket he just robbed to collect evidence???

That belongs in a book of either horrible circumstances or dumb mistakes!

But I think we found our third wise man!