Gamecocks - Garcia tackled by ref

Narrows07

That was something else. You can`t tell me that ref didn`t blatenly do that. Did you notice how he lowered his shoulder?

You can tell he was trying to. He was moving like a LB lol. He shuffled along with the play, then just put the hit on the QB. He needs to work on wrapping up though. :)

Watch the entire game again. Spurrier is noted for using the refs as "picks" for his recievers. Happened two or three times during the Lsu game. The ref was tired of being inserted into live action by the USC offense.

Definitely funny! While I don't believe it was intentional on the officials part it certainly looked intentional when I saw it on ESPN this morning. He lower his shoulder and the boom on USC's QB. I guess he wanted to get in a hit on an USC QB since every defensive player in the SEC has over the past several seasons.

Definitely funny! While I don't believe it was intentional on the officials part it certainly looked intentional when I saw it on ESPN this morning. He lower his shoulder and the boom on USC's QB. I guess he wanted to get in a hit on an USC QB since every defensive player in the SEC has over the past several seasons.

You dont think it was intentional? I dont see how it couldnt be intentional. He steps sidewasy right into the QB's path then steps into him and lowers his shoulder. Im not sure what his motive was, but It sure does look intentional.

Have there been any interviews with this dude? I believe the "Spurrier using refs as picks" theory and the "football flashback" theory to an extent. I would just like to hear what this guy has to say about it himself.

You dont think it was intentional? I dont see how it couldnt be intentional. He steps sidewasy right into the QB's path then steps into him and lowers his shoulder. Im not sure what his motive was, but It sure does look intentional.

Hahaha, this incident was hilarious, but come on. Do you really think a ref would intentionally stop the progress of a player? Let's be real here...

Spurrier, SEC clear official in collision with South Carolina QB Garcia

ESPN.com news services

Updated: October 21, 2008, 11:11 AM ET

The collision between South Carolina quarterback Stephen Garcia and umpire Wilbur Hackett Jr. in Saturday's loss to LSU has drawn a lot of attention over the past two days, but Gamecocks coach Steve Spurrier says Hackett did nothing wrong.

Hackett, a former linebacker at the University of Kentucky from 1967-70, ended up making contact with Garcia after the Gamecocks' QB rolled to his left and headed for the end zone in the second quarter. Hackett and Garcia collided at the 5-yard line as the LSU defense closed in.

"He was trying to get out of the way," Spurrier said of Hackett, according to The State in Columbia, S.C. "Stephen sort of cut back right into him. Sometimes that will happen."

When contacted by ESPN's Joe Schad, the Southeastern Conference office said after reviewing the play, it believes the umpire was in appropriate position. A spokesman said the umpire raised his arm to defend himself after a change of direction by the runner.

Garcia took over at the LSU 8 after a 46-yard interception return by Carlos Thomas. On first and goal, Garcia started running to his right before the hole on the line closed. He then rolled to his left and cut upfield, where he ran into Hackett.

Three plays later, Mike Davis scored on a 1-yard run to give South Carolina a 17-10 lead it would hold at halftime. LSU scored two second-half touchdowns for a 24-17 victory.

It looks like it to me.

Looks can be deceiving sometimes. No, I do not believe it was intentional despite how it may look. It's a funny incident and not a big deal. Although, I'm sure Mr. Garica doesn't find it too funny b/c he won't soon hear the end of it.

Looks can be deceiving sometimes. No, I do not believe it was intentional despite how it may look. It's a funny incident and not a big deal. Although, I'm sure Mr. Garica doesn't find it too funny b/c he won't soon hear the end of it.

Im sure he has heard about none stop. I thought it was hilarious. I do think it was intentional, as do most of the guys I heard talking about it on ESPN this afternoon. But, I dont think it was some sort of conspiracy to keep SC from scoring, I'm just not sure what the intention was. But like you said, it isn't a big deal.

Im sure he has heard about none stop. I thought it was hilarious. I do think it was intentional, as do most of the guys I heard talking about it on ESPN this afternoon. But, I dont think it was some sort of conspiracy to keep SC from scoring, I'm just not sure what the intention was. But like you said, it isn't a big deal.

There you go!

Hahaha, even though they scored a couple plays later... Has anyone looked it up on youtube? How many hits (no pun intended.... well, after thinking about it, pun completely intended) does the video have?