Article on re-classification...VHSL to hold "question and answer" session

futbolking

So districts would be optional and not just thrown away.. A team can be in the district or be independent.. They could reorganize the SWD again by adding teams like Gate City, Lebanon and Virginia because Abingdon and Marion would probably want to drop out of the SWD because they'd be in D3 while the rest of the SWD is D2, if the 5 Divisions are looked at as the A-AAA were.. Districts are just there to get games and not automatic bid into the playoffs..

Edited by dawgs86

So districts would be optional and not just thrown away.. A team can be in the district or be independent.. They could reorganize the SWD again by adding teams like Gate City, Lebanon and Virginia because Abingdon and Marion would probably want to drop out of the SWD because they'd be in D3 while the rest of the SWD is D2, if the 5 Divisions are looked at as the A-AAA were.. Districts are just there to get games and not automatic bid into the playoffs..

Marion would actually fall within the D-2 category...enrollment is below 800 now...

This system is definitely more "fair"......I think the VHSL should more clearly define how the playoffs are going to work and be more involved on how a region would come up with a region champ...It's a little too open ended if you ask me.

That's probably because it looks like it will be up to each section as to how teams advance.

From the Daily Press article:

Playoff Format

There will be four Sectionals in each division. In team sports, the sectional champions advance to two Super Sectionals. Super Sectional champions play for state title. Schools in each sectional will decide who qualifies for the playoffs.

From the Powerpoint presentation....

Postseason participation would be determined by League criteria or by criteria developed by the member schools in each Section.

Their recommendations were to base it and the seeding on...

-Overall regular season record

-Winning percentage within the Division

-Winning percentage within the Section / Super Section

why not go to six divisions and keep division 1 enrollment under 350 to 375

I think D-1 is already under 450....then that would make d-2 between 350 and 450...I don't think 6 divisions would work...the number of schools participating in 5 divisions works out pretty good across the state...