Ouch!

fieldgeneral

Houston's Freshman Standout , Edward's breaks leg on Marshall's band cart!

IMO, between the camera's and this and that so close to the action in both basketball and football, it's getting ridiculous. I was all for Marshall last night, but I felt awful for the guy. They really need to do some work to that stadium and make some room behind the endzone and keep band crap from behind it! What's your take?

Edwards, running deep for a pass from Blake Joseph, ran out of the back of the end zone into a band equipment cart parked just beyond the out-of-bounds line. The impact, captured by ESPN's cameras, caused a compound fracture of Edwards' right leg according to the Houston Chronicle.

Cougars coach Kevin Sumlin told the Chronicle that while he had "his opinions" on the subject, he would offer no comment on such a dangerous situation. Houston athletics director Dave Maggard said he will pursue the subject with Marshall officials.

"It was duly noted and I think we'll save the conversation for another day," Maggard told the Chronicle. "I don't think there is any question that it is a problem. We all noticed it, and we want to find out why something like that would occur. It was a serious injury, no question about it."

Found this on ESPN - It's great to know he is expected to make a full recovery.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3671220

Edwards has surgery on leg, says he doesn't blame Marshall for cart mishap

CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- Houston wide receiver Patrick Edwards said Wednesday he holds no animosity toward Marshall, a day after he ran into a service cart and broke his leg in a game against the Thundering Herd.

The freshman was going after a pass at full speed in the third quarter Tuesday night when his right shin hit a cart in the back of the end zone. A referee immediately called for help and Edwards was carried off the field.

A Cabell Huntington Hospital spokesman said Edwards was in good condition Wednesday following surgery.

Edwards told The Associated Press from his hospital room in Huntington that he didn't see several carts that were parked against a grass embankment.

"I just saw the ball in the air and once it came down, I hit the cart and flipped over it," Edwards said.

He doesn't blame Marshall but said the Conference USA officiating crew should have ensured the carts were moved away.

"They are supposed to check and see if everything is off the field," Edwards said.

His mother, Patricia Edwards, told Houston television station KRIV she is considering legal action against Marshall.

"I thought I didn't have a son anymore, the way he flipped," she said. "I thought we had lost him. He could have been paralyzed or something."

Marshall athletic director Bob Marcum said the carts, used by Marshall's band, will be relocated at future games.

"We are sorry the accident took place and wish Patrick a quick and full recovery," said Marcum, who also talked to Houston athletic director Dave Maggard about the accident.

Conference USA commissioner Britton Banowsky said, "Clearly, all of us in athletics administration share in the responsibility for ensuring that the events conducted on our campuses are as safe as possible for the participants and I'm certain we will stay focused on that objective."

The game was televised nationally and the accident has already been shown thousands of times on the Internet -- even Edwards said he saw the replay.

Edwards, Houston's leading receiver with 634 yards on 46 catches, suffered a compound fracture and had a rod inserted in his lower right leg during surgery, said Houston associate athletic director Chris Burkhalter.

Marshall coach Mark Snyder, safety C.J. Spillman and defensive end Albert McClellan visited Edwards on Wednesday.

"He was in good spirits," Snyder said. "We wanted him to know that he is part of our extended football family and that we are here to help him in any way we can."

Marshall athletics spokesman Randy Burnside said the university's insurance carrier will pay for Edwards' medical bills.

Edwards is expected to make a full recovery.

"The doctor said I will be good, ready for next season," Edwards said.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

GREAT words to hear...

Best of luck to this young man...

Agreed.

Agreed, also. It would be very upsetting had this young kid lost the ability to play football for the rest of his life all because of the negligence of one person. Even though it was within NCAA regulations of 2.5 yards away from the playing surface, there is no reason that band equipment should be left out on the field, much less that close to the action. Whether it should or not, this will definitely leave a black eye on Marshall for a while, but I do think that Coach Snyder and the team did show reputable class in going to the hospital and visiting the injured player today. Best of luck to Edwards on a speedy recovery and I hope to see him on the field next season.