Gate City looked pitiful tonight....

wave316

I went to the GC and Burton game tonight. Gate City got their butts kicked on the line of scrimmage. They looked as if they had no life or motivation. The Vaughn kid for GC really impressed me though. Great running back. GC special teams looked weak also. Burton looked like they were more motivated and hungry for victory than GC . GC will more than likely play Poweel Valley in round 1 in the playoffs. The last time they played GC wn 13 -0. Powell Valley might be a challenge in round 1 if GC doesnt get it together.

Unless Lebanon beats Tazewell, they should be playing Lebanon in the 1st round.

Hey thanks for the correction. Your right. Powell Valley will play JJ.Kelly. Too much football on the brain,lol. I dont think Lebanon beats Tazewell do you?

If you had asked any of the GC fans we could have told you they haven't looked good since the first half against Clintwood.

The Raiders probably have the best one-two RB combo i have seen in a while with Miles and Coleman, but still GC looked bad on the ends. I didn't think the ends did a good job of jamming the lead blocker to allow the others to make the plays, and if they did Coleman (mostly) just had too much speed for the Devils. Gotta give JIB credit they came to play. GC wasn't totally flat, but just hasn't looked good lately.

The offense needs to ditch the spread for the most part, it is not what we do good. The fullhouse/T is our bread and butter, and the Vaughn kid really runs hard, as do several others. With the line GC has i don't understand trying to run wide all night on a team with the speed they have in the secondary. Pound the ball all night long and sure you can vary and run outside to keep them honest,etc..

The turning point in the game was the 2nd quarter when GC had taken it from their 7 all the way to near midfield, and they had a penalty for illegal shift? i think. It made it (after a Vaughn run) 3rd and 4, we attempted a pass (which wasn't a bad call really, he was open and it was overthrown) but then GC punted all the way to the 6. Coleman went 94 yards untouched, and i really thought that was the game changer.

I am not second guessing, i said it before that play. I thought we should run (twice if we had to) and get the first and keep the ball and grind out the clock. GC had the ability, if not the game plan to control the clock. GC would have received the opening kickoff of the 2nd half and there was only 6 minutes or so left in the half. They could have used at least 2-3 more minutes off the clock. Byrd is good inside the 35-40 for a Fg most times, so i just wondered about the decision.

Last year GC lost 2 of the first 4 or so in the spread mostly, we ditched it and then went to the power running and played better mistake free (mostly) ball and got to the Championship game. This team could be in the same ( potentially) type situation, but they better fix a few things, or they won't get out of the region.

The kickoff coverage team...Bah! What is the problem? I don't know what the deal is, Byrd can kick it into the endzone some and at least inside the 10 everytime, but they return it to the 50 or so with regularity. Then we will pooch kick it and they get it at the 45 or so. It is hard for a D to allow the other team to get the ball on the 45-50 everytime. We should just on-sides everytime, at least then we might get the ball back occasionally.

:) oh well, i'm officially stepping down off my soap box for a few weeks.

Edited by LegendatLegion
spelling

If you had asked any of the GC fans we could have told you they haven't looked good since the first half against Clintwood.

The Raiders probably have the best one-two RB combo i have seen in a while with Miles and Coleman, but still GC looked bad on the ends. I didn't think the ends did a good job of jamming the lead blocker to allow the others to make the plays, and if they did Coleman (mostly) just had too much speed for the Devils. Gotta give JIB credit they came to play. GC wasn't totally flat, but just hasn't looked good lately.

The offense needs to ditch the spread for the most part, it is not what we do good. The fullhouse/T is our bread and butter, and the Vaughn kid really runs hard, as do several others. With the line GC has i don't understand trying to run wide all night on a team with the speed they have in the secondary. Pound the ball all night long and sure you can vary and run outside to keep them honest,etc..

The turning point in the game was the 2nd quarter when GC had taken it from their 7 all the way to near midfield, and they had a penalty for illegal shift? i think. It made it (after a Vaughn run) 3rd and 4, we attempted a pass (which wasn't a bad call really, he was open and it was overthrown) but then GC punted all the way to the 6. Coleman went 94 yards untouched, and i really thought that was the game changer.

I am not second guessing, i said it before that play. I thought we should run (twice if we had to) and get the first and keep the ball and grind out the clock. GC had the ability, if not the game plan to control the clock. GC would have received the opening kickoff of the 2nd half and there was only 6 minutes or so left in the half. They could have used at least 2-3 more minutes off the clock. Byrd is good inside the 35-40 for a Fg most times, so i just wondered about the decision.

Last year GC lost 2 of the first 4 or so in the spread mostly, we ditched it and then went to the power running and played better mistake free (mostly) ball and got to the Championship game. This team could be in the same ( potentially) type situation, but they better fix a few things, or they won't get out of the region.

The kickoff coverage team...Bah! What is the problem? I don't know what the deal is, Byrd can kick it into the endzone some and at least inside the 10 everytime, but they return it to the 50 or so with regularity. Then we will pooch kick it and they get it at the 45 or so. It is hard for a D to allow the other team to get the ball on the 45-50 everytime. We should just on-sides everytime, at least then we might get the ball back occasionally.

:) oh well, i'm officially stepping down off my soap box for a few weeks.

I agree that the fullhouse backfield is Gate City's best setup, however they have, other than the last few games, ran the spread fairly well and moved the ball with ease. But I do agree they should have just lined up last night and gave it to Joseph Vaughn up the middle because of the outside speed of Burton. It makes absolutely no sense that they don't give it to him more. He should get it 20 times a game rather than 10 or 11. In my opinion they were just completely flat last night. JIB played an excellent game but I feel that Gate City made the mistake of looking ahead to the playoffs. Also, for some reason there was no adjustments made to the Gate City Defense all night long.

3 plays accounted for 90% of Burton's offense, jaycob coleman around left end, martinez miles around right end, and devin talley fake hand off and up the middle. I don't understand how the defensive coordinator couldn't figure this out. Put someone spying on the two backs and they would have been fine. It was just terrible defensive playcalling. However, hats off to the Raiders in the last game we will play against them for a while.