south charleston @ bluefield

buzzsawBeaver

black eagles against the beavers, rematch of the '75 aaa title game played at mitchell stadium where the beavers defeated them 21 - 7 under coach chmara for their 5th aaa title at the time.

I'll go ahead and write it, bluefield can defeat sc, although they'll have to play their best and not make mistakes.

Mentally bluefield has nothing to lose in this game, they're now in the playoffs and although a victory would earn a playoff game at mitchell stadium, the key is them being in at all after an uphill battle after an 0 - 3 start. Congrats to them on that. In this game they can have fun playing the game and enjoy the opportunity to defeat the # 1 team in aaa.

Sc will have likely have the most talented db bluefield has faced, but I doubt that sc has faced a team that passes as much as bluefield does, and such a passing game is often 1 of the hardest things for high school teams to stop. A lot of teams can have really strong ds and yet still have trouble stopping the pass, consider the bluefield liberty harrison games in the '90s or the strong nitro passing teams against their aaa competition for examples..

In my opinion the key for bluefield in this game will be "moving the sticks" on o. They might not get as many or very many long passes for scores or the big plays they're used to, they'll likely have some, but the point is to move the sticks. Bluefield should be able to do that against any team.

I don't doubt that bluefield can surprise south charleston myself.

i'm looking forward to watchin some film on SC to see how they've looked and see what they've done in their games..i think this week when i go up there to lift weights i'm gonna check those guys out on tape to see what they're about b4 friday night

With this being Bluefield's senior night, these guys will not just roll over to the predictions that everyone on other boards are saying. From what I know, South Charleston nearly mirrors Bluefield with it's size and speed at all positions. This will be a very tough game, but with the way the Beavers have been playing I think it will be just as tough a win for South Charleston to come by. SC hasn't played a team that has the speed to match them so I look forward to them having just as hard of a time getting settled in as we will. I'm looking forward to a great game, possibly a track meet, and I know the Beavers can pull this one out. Keep the mistakes down and stick to your guns.

Well I have no doubt that the Black Eagles will present a tremendous challenge for the young Beaver squad, but I do recall the last time the Number 1 team in AAA (Martinsburg) came calling to Mitchell Stadium in 2004, they walked out of Mitchell Stadium with a loss. I just hope this game is as good as that one.

I remember that '75 squad and there amazing win over SC at Mitchell field. Seem like they had some superstar player named Alexander he rode in a limo to the game and not on the team bus. I also remember the picture of the SC players and cheerleaders crying in disbelieve in the locker room after the game. In the preseason '75 team was thought to be the worst team BLF would put on the field in a long time. That team took that as a rally cry for the season. That season taught a lot of BLF fans the meaning of "We Believe". SC learn to believe that Nov. afternoon in Mitchell Stadium.

I hope that the spirit of that game still haunts SC and I hope that Coach Simons tells the story of the '75 team and their impossible season and state championship win.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Sc will have likely have the most talented db bluefield has faced, but I doubt that sc has faced a team that passes as much as bluefield does, and such a passing game is often 1 of the hardest things for high school teams to stop. A lot of teams can have really strong ds and yet still have trouble stopping the pass, consider the bluefield liberty harrison games in the '90s or the strong nitro passing teams against their aaa competition for examples.

From what I have read, SC struggles with the secondary. Dobbons (sp?) is supposedly a good WR, but does he even play defense.

I swore I read about the SC coach saying they were in trouble with their DBs after he saw the Scott game...

Bluefield has done well to get the record they have this year and are just a few points of having only 1 loss. Any game can go to any team, but I really don't think the Beavers pull this one out. If I can come to the game....I will be there. I'm sure it will be at least competitive to some extent.

From what I have read, SC struggles with the secondary. Dobbons (sp?) is supposedly a good WR, but does he even play defense.

I swore I read about the SC coach saying they were in trouble with their DBs after he saw the Scott game...

You did...I read that as well.

Bluefield has done well to get the record they have this year and are just a few points of having only 1 loss. Any game can go to any team, but I really don't think the Beavers pull this one out. If I can come to the game....I will be there. I'm sure it will be at least competitive to some extent.

Same was said of the '75 team I don't think that Stubby thought BLF could win against SC the key then as well now is to take control back then BLF had a absolutely smothering defense. SC walked into BLF with an attitude that they couldn't lose. Now they are #1 AAA playing an AA school barely in the top 10. I would think that they kinda would have the same attitude. I "believe" that BLF can do it. The only down side of a win defeating the #1 Ranked AAA for BLF is that it will only make it harder to find teams to play against in the state.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

My dad has seen GW, who played SC close, as well as Bluefield against MV, and says he thinks Bluefield can hang with SC. And he has the advantage of being on the field with them...

Black Eagles' coach wants 'feel-good' season to continue

South Charleston football heads to Class AA Bluefield with aggressive attitude

by Tom Aluise

Daily Mail sports writer

Even if everyone's math is correct and South Charleston has indeed wrapped up the No. 1 seed for the Class AAA high school football playoffs, Coach John Messinger isn't taking a relaxed approach into the regular season's final week.

Messinger doesn't plan to start half of his junior varsity at defending Class AA state champ Bluefield on Friday.

"If we get in a situation where we can play people and get some people some rest, we will," Messinger said.

The 9-0 Black Eagles, though, are headed to Mercer County to do one thing -- win -- even if winning or losing has no bearing on top-rated South Charleston's playoff position.

"We've got a lot of goals to accomplish," Messinger said. "The seniors want to go out 10-0. These kids have a lot of pride and they've certainly shown in the last few weeks that they've got a ton of heart."

Messinger and his players know that losing the final game of the regular season would be no way to go into the playoffs.

"You talk about something that would suck the life out of you, that would," Messinger said.

"This is a good test for us going into the playoffs. And it would be a great boost for them if they could knock us off. We know we're stepping into a beehive. But our kids have been able to stay focused."

Bluefield started the season with three consecutive losses but has won six straight and is No. 7 in the latest Secondary School Activities Commission playoff ratings.

The Beavers are led by senior quarterback Will Cole, who has thrown for 2,117 yards and 24 touchdowns.

"To us, this is another MSAC game," Messinger said. "Throw out AA ... you're playing Bluefield. They're one of those teams that could go in (the playoffs) 6-4 or 7-3, end up in Wheeling and win a championship.

"You could put Bluefield in this (MSAC) conference and they'd go to the AAA playoffs. They're that good.

"They're going to match up with us skill-wise and speed-wise. They match up with us extremely well. We may have a few more seniors, which will help us."

South Charleston is coming off an open week, which, Messinger said, allowed several of its players to heal from injuries.

Speedsters Amari Smith and Dylan Turner are two players who benefited from the added rest.

"We're 100 percent healthy for the first time in a long time," said Messinger, whose Black Eagles are trying to become the first team at South Charleston since the 1945 state championship squad (11-0) to complete an undefeated season.

"We're so proud of them and the things they've done," Messinger said. "Back in August I said this was a feel-good football team. They're still a feel-good football team. That's one of the main contributors to this being a good football team."

With this being Bluefield's senior night, these guys will not just roll over to the predictions that everyone on other boards are saying. From what I know, South Charleston nearly mirrors Bluefield with it's size and speed at all positions. This will be a very tough game, but with the way the Beavers have been playing I think it will be just as tough a win for South Charleston to come by. SC hasn't played a team that has the speed to match them so I look forward to them having just as hard of a time getting settled in as we will. I'm looking forward to a great game, possibly a track meet, and I know the Beavers can pull this one out. Keep the mistakes down and stick to your guns.

Guess you don't watch much MSAC games......no doubt Bluefield has Speed and alot to burn but with all due respect, week in and week out SC sees as much speed if not more than what the Beavers will put on the field tonight.....with that being said, this should be a very good game........

****Someone posted about Martinsburg coming to Bluefield and getting an L and how this can be the same....possibly could....but I was at that game in 04 and unless you have George Simons calling the game I don't see the same results.....Simons was a homer from the start and it showed in that game regardless of what anybody says....I remember when I played and he reffed some games in Mercer County, he was always making homer calls...guess he wanted to stay in the good graces of the community...lol

Valiant effort against the #1 team in West Virginia. What a regular season the Beavers have had with such a young team. South Charleston had their hads full all night and they were lucky to get out of Bluefield with a win.

Lets go get ready for season #2!! Best of luck in the playoffs, Beavers, and go get another state title!

Well with two teams ahead of them losing, I don't think they'll drop too far. Bluefield just lost by 1 score to the #1 triple A team while the other two losers fell to nobodies. Bluefield should be fine in the rankings.

Well with two teams ahead of them losing, I don't think they'll drop too far. Bluefield just lost by 1 score to the #1 triple A team while the other two losers fell to nobodies. Bluefield should be fine in the rankings.

For the umpteenth time, the rankings aren't determined by how close you lose by...a loss is a loss and you get nothing for it regardless of whether you lose to a team that just finished 10-0 or a team that finished 1-9...plus several teams behind them won and will jump them in the standings...

Bluefield will finish #11 in the rankings and will likely have to travel to Scott for the first round with the winner likely getting Wayne in the second round...

Here are projected final ratings after last nights games.

1. Keyser 9 0 14.222

2. Grafton 9 1 11.900

3. Wayne 9 1 11.600

4. Weir 8 2 10.000

5. Chapmanville 8 2 10.000

6. Ravenswood 8 2 9.300

7. Scott 7 3 9.300

8. Pt. Pleasant 7 3 9.000

9. Webster County 8 2 9.000

10. Magnolia 7 3 9.000

11. Bluefield 6 4 8.400

12. James Monroe 7 3 8.300

13. Independence 7 3 7.800

14. Shady Spring 6 4 7.000

15. Philip Barbour 6 4 6.900

16. Greenbrier West 6 4 6.800

Sorry about the deletion of the other post...I hit the wrong button.

I've seen several projections and the one I trust has Bluefield finishing #11 and playing #6 Scott in the first round...Scott wins the tiebreaker with Ravenswood for #6.

Either way, I see Bluefield advancing to the second round and a matchup with Wayne...