I want a non bias view of wvu's offense

wvuraiders

has hurt more than anyone could have imagined. WVU is having a lot of trouble picking up short yardage situations, and that never happened last year. Devine is quick and very strong for his side, but he's not an inside runner. Not sure what's going on with the OL, with them having pretty much everyone back. Maybe they're having trouble adjusting to the new position coach (was there a new OL coach?), subtle changes in blocking schemes, or who knows what else? However, not having the bruising fullback has cost them numerous possessions this year by not making the 3rd and 4th and short yardage plays. That could equate to at least one score per game, and that could certainly have been the difference in two of the losses this year.

has hurt more than anyone could have imagined. WVU is having a lot of trouble picking up short yardage situations, and that never happened last year. Devine is quick and very strong for his side, but he's not an inside runner. Not sure what's going on with the OL, with them having pretty much everyone back. Maybe they're having trouble adjusting to the new position coach (was there a new OL coach?), subtle changes in blocking schemes, or who knows what else? However, not having the bruising fullback has cost them numerous possessions this year by not making the 3rd and 4th and short yardage plays. That could equate to at least one score per game, and that could certainly have been the difference in two of the losses this year.

The loss of Owen Schmitt is a huge loss for this team. I do get really tired of hearing Coach Stew using that as an excuse. Our offensive line was supposed to be one of the best in the nation. We brought in Dave Johnson from Georgia and he hasn't done well. Even with most of this group graduating, we have a really good group of linemen behind them. I really think too much has been changed, even the blocking scheme. But the loss of the the big back and the heart that kid has really aches this team. However, a good coach uses what he has and doesn't try to force what he doesn't!

One year at Hampton is nothing to brag about.

Mullen hasn't been an O coordinator at all. Even one year at lil ole Hampton is better than none. I'm not saying Beatty is the "Man" of offense, but he would be more qualified than Riley Skinner's personal assistant. If I'm not mistaken, Beatty did quite well stats wise with his offense.

It takes a lot more than a play sheet and the ability to call one of those plays to be a coordinator. Our offense doesn't have an identity. I blame that on a young inexperience OC.

Here is a link to Hampton's offensive stats. Looks like their defense wasn't great but they gained 354 ypg and gave up 357. The offense looks fairly balanced. They seem a little heavier on the pass than the run though.

http://www.hamptonpirates.com/sports/football/2007/Stats/HTML/TEAMSTAT.HTM

Edited by fieldgeneral
a link

Guest BEAVERTAIL
Mullen hasn't been an O coordinator at all. Even one year at lil ole Hampton is better than none. I'm not saying Beatty is the "Man" of offense, but he would be more qualified than Riley Skinner's personal assistant. If I'm not mistaken, Beatty did quite well stats wise with his offense.

It takes a lot more than a play sheet and the ability to call one of those plays to be a coordinator. Our offense doesn't have an identity. I blame that on a young inexperience OC.

With either one would you would be wondering who was a better choice. I highlighted their inexperience during the hiring, and of how young they are. Still, at that time, many of you thought they were better than RR's. But amongst your hatred and anger I understand why.

I still stand by my words that Butch Jones was the best choice for HC that is, young he may be but he is a winner and knows the spread just as well, although his new style varies from RR, or even better. He can taylor his calls to his lacking personnel. Remember, he doesnt even have his recruits in yet, and he had a winning season last year, won the MAC, and has one locked up this year after beating Indiana at Bloomington.

The worst thing that happened to WVU is beating the Sooners, and I even love Stewart.

Edited by BEAVERTAIL

Guest BEAVERTAIL
Here is a link to Hampton's offensive stats. Looks like their defense wasn't great but they gained 354 ypg and gave up 357. The offense looks fairly balanced. They seem a little heavier on the pass than the run though.

http://www.hamptonpirates.com/sports/football/2007/Stats/HTML/TEAMSTAT.HTM

Wrong year Buddy.

Its the 2006 season when beatty was OC, where they went 10-2. I couldnt find it, maybe you can since you found the above when I couldnt find that one...

Losing to Pitt did worse things to this program than Beating OU. RR would still be here, We'd be in the national title, possibly winning it. Getting amazing recruits... Thats where it all started. December 1st, 2007. The worst game in WVU football history in my mind.

Guest JJBrickface
The loss of Owen Schmitt is a huge loss for this team. I do get really tired of hearing Coach Stew using that as an excuse. Our offensive line was supposed to be one of the best in the nation. We brought in Dave Johnson from Georgia and he hasn't done well. Even with most of this group graduating, we have a really good group of linemen behind them. I really think too much has been changed, even the blocking scheme. But the loss of the the big back and the heart that kid has really aches this team. However, a good coach uses what he has and doesn't try to force what he doesn't!

Another person blaming another coach. This is the Offensive Lines third O Line coach in 3 or 4 years! Go back and watch last years games and you will see that this same offensive live was still very inconsistent. Remember how Slaton struggled last year? Yes, some of that was on Steve but a lot of it was inconsistent blocking. Take away Owen from last years team and you would have what we have this year!

Guest JJBrickface
Losing to Pitt did worse things to this program than Beating OU. RR would still be here, We'd be in the national title, possibly winning it. Getting amazing recruits... Thats where it all started. December 1st, 2007. The worst game in WVU football history in my mind.

The Pitt win was actually the best thing to happen to WVU. I love to win but I'm so glad that the Pitt loss exposed RR for what he was. He was all about himself and not WVU. We are actually getting better recruits since RR left. Coach Stew has always been a hell of a recruiter and now he has a great staff to get even more guys in. Give this staff time and you will see some more great things from WVU football.

The Pitt win was actually the best thing to happen to WVU. I love to win but I'm so glad that the Pitt loss exposed RR for what he was. He was all about himself and not WVU. We are actually getting better recruits since RR left. Coach Stew has always been a hell of a recruiter and now he has a great staff to get even more guys in. Give this staff time and you will see some more great things from WVU football.

RR and WVU still have a way to go. WVU will continue to grow....but some changes needed to be made. RR will get recruits and he has the patience of his AD... good thing for him. The Pitt loss was the worst loss in school history, but you're right that it got rid of Rod ASAP. He was looking to leave or use it to get things and would continue every time a job came open. This year it would be Tennessee!

RR brought in the highest ranking recruits in WVU history. Gwaltney, Devine, Jenkins...all 5-star, all-american recruits that RR brought in. And even now with Heastie, another 5-star, possibly being at WVU, he is coming to play in a system RR brought to WVU.

RR brought in the highest ranking recruits in WVU history. Gwaltney, Devine, Jenkins...all 5-star, all-american recruits that RR brought in. And even now with Heastie, another 5-star, possibly being at WVU, he is coming to play in a system RR brought to WVU.

Josh Jenkins was going to come to WVU anyways reguardless if RR was the coach at WVU at the time or not. He just loved WVU that much.

But every thing else, I guess I can agree on except Logan Heastie, Heastie is a streak WR, thats what I call them. He's a big guy at 6'2 and will be used how Chris Henry and Brandon Myles were used in the past. You're not going to see Heastie catch many screen passes, I can promise you that. Jason Gwaltney really excited me when we first got him but he became a dud when he couldnt get/keep the grades to stay and he also got homesick. Funny enough his half-brother Scooter Berry is doing a great job on the D-line for us this season and had a huge fumble recovery against UConn to pretty much seal that game up for us.

One problem with WVU is we dont have a powerback like Slaton was, I really wouldnt call Slaton a power back, but he was bigger then Devine and he would run thru defenders insted of juking them out like Devine does, sometimes this season that has worked, all the other times he usually ends up with a 5 yard loss. Devine will never be a powerback and i'm hoping WVU will get one for next season. You can see how bad we need a powerback when earlier this season we would put Jarret Brown our backup QB in and run QB sneaks on 3rd and short.

Something else I'd like to add, Heastie isint coming here for Rich Rods system but Stews/Mullens, No reciever in my mind would want to come here just to block for their runningbacks. He's saw us play this year, and at times we throw down the field. Something we never really did why RR was at the helm in his last few years... And if he comes here next year we will be throwing alot more.

Edited by bluefieldRocks

Guest JJBrickface

I agree with Rocks. You are partially correct on a few things. RR did bring in the highest ranking recruits in WVU history at that point, this years class will be better. Rocks was right about Jenkins, he was WVU through and through. Gwaltney was a complete idiot!! Overrated!! Also as Rocks said, Heastie is a vertical threat. He wouldn't be coming to WVU if RR was still the coach.