This is truly pathetic, vandalisim in downtown Bluefield

bluefieldRocks

slideshowtoplg.gif

BLUEFIELD — City officials, police and downtown business owners were enraged to find that several buildings in the historic downtown district as well as in other sections of the city were vandalized sometime early Thursday morning.

“You can’t print what I would like to say in the newspaper,†Mark Henne, Bluefield city manager said. “We have been working so hard to improve the appearance of the downtown and then someone comes along and does something like this.â€

An individual, or an unknown number of individuals, spray painted graffiti on several buildings as well as the mural on the North wall of the Coal & Coke Building in Chicory Square. The mural depicts the city’s railroad passenger station and Bluefield’s Norfolk & Western Railway yard during the steam locomotive era. Similar spray paint markings are on buildings on Bland, Federal, Raleigh, Commerce and North streets in the downtown, mid-town and South Bluefield areas.

Sgt. G.W. Lightfoot said the police are reviewing images from surveillance cameras in the city. “We’re looking at the video frame-by-frame,†Lightfoot said. Although much of the graffiti appeared to be possibly gang-inspired with the name “Bloods†spray painted in red on some buildings, Lightfoot said the department believes the vandalism to be the work of “kids.â€

While Lightfoot said that there have been other incidences of apparently gang-themed graffiti in Bluefield, he could not recall a rash of vandalism involving that many buildings in the past. He said that Detective Lt. S.C. Myers of the Bluefield Detective Bureau is heading up the investigation.

“The Downtown Merchants Association are offering a $1,000 reward for information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible for this vandalism,†Henne said. “We need to capture the responsible person or persons and make sure they are prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Ideally, we would like to have them clean it up. It shows a total lack of respect for public and private property.â€

Henne, the police and city business owners met Thursday to discuss the matter, according to Art Riley, president of the Downtown Merchants Association. “Something like this hurts the people who are working so hard to make improvements in the downtown,†Riley said. “We have a great-looking downtown. I know the police are reviewing the tapes right now. We’ve got to stop this (vandalism).â€

Henne said the city is “doing everything we can†to capture and prosecute the individual or individuals responsible for the vandalism.

http://bdtonline.com/cnhi/bdtonline/homepage/local_story_318211215.html?keyword=leadpicturestory

That's absolutely pathetic for someone to do. I hope they find the culprits responsible and prosecute them to the fullest extent of the law. The town does all it can to make good for itself, and then see this happen.

But what's more disturbing to me is the fact that this appears to be gang-inspired. I truly hope nobody in SWVA is getting into the gang culture, and I hope that they're just pretending to be in a gang (yes, I've actually seen some instances of this). Nothing good ever comes out of gangs, and what does come out is community-breaking.

I've seen actual gangs in the Baltimore, Charlotte and Miami areas. People in Bluefield may think they're in a gang, but its laughable at best...

Oh, I know exactly what you mean. I can't go into much detail given Virginia's laws, but I've seen kids around here pretending to be in gangs, then go off to a big city and almost get themselves killed when they "pretend" there.

Oh, I know exactly what you mean. I can't go into much detail given Virginia's laws, but I've seen kids around here pretending to be in gangs, then go off to a big city and almost get themselves killed when they "pretend" there.

Stupid...stupid... stupid. I know what would help...a good butt whoopin by a parent.

Guest BEAVERTAIL
Stupid...stupid... stupid. I know what would help...a good butt whoopin by a parent.

Id bet my car that whoever the parents were, even if they were on camera, if their kids say they didnt do it, then the parents would agree. No matter what. Thats whats wrong with society. No one takes up for their actions, or their families.

Guest JJBrickface
Id bet my car that whoever the parents were, even if they were on camera, if their kids say they didnt do it, then the parents would agree. No matter what. Thats whats wrong with society. No one takes up for their actions, or their families.

Yes I agree! When I was in high school I had one class that had a kid who would always talk and disrupt class. Well finally the teacher had enough and sent the kid to the office, the boys mother then came to the school and up to the classroom and started arguing with the teacher. The kid was clearly in the wrong and instead of the mother realizing that she showed her own immaturity and made a fool of herself. Bad parents = bad kids

Yes I agree! When I was in high school I had one class that had a kid who would always talk and disrupt class. Well finally the teacher had enough and sent the kid to the office, the boys mother then came to the school and up to the classroom and started arguing with the teacher. The kid was clearly in the wrong and instead of the mother realizing that she showed her own immaturity and made a fool of herself. Bad parents = bad kids

I'm glad to see that common sense still rules the roost. It doesn't get any better, even at college...

We are living in a a society where people are never responsible for their actions. We blame it on things like a bad mom or dad, poverty, abuse etc.

Whatever happened to BEING RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR ACTIONS?

But when the federal government BAILS OUT business men that made terrible decisions and still allows them to reap large financial rewards for their wrong doing, is it really any wonder that we are in this kind of condition?

I agree as someone said before, even if the footage is visible and these criminals are caught dead on camera, there will be parents that will support these punks when they swear they didn't do it..........

I used to get some of those "gangsters" in my store in the mall... or at least until I laughed in their face and said "you're just a bunch of white boys from West Virginia, you all need to get over yourselves". I can't say I've seen any of them since... granted they also don't buy shoes or hoodies or anything else from me any more - hahaha