Bluefield beavers '08, another chapter in bluefield football history

buzzsawBeaver

well written folks.

I know it might have closed out earlier than we all would have preferred, but this team overachieved with a very youthful, but talented team.

The line was key, and there was a lot of weight put on a completely new line with 4 sophomores and 1 jr. without any experience, especially starting out against some very strong, bigger teams, and with the overall tasks of going toe to toe with the competition bluefield faced. So while some with consider the line not quite up to par, and granted on the d side the line was overwhelmed against bigger players in some games, consider this, these are bluefield's passing stats roughly estimated from another site,

202-345 for 2,992 yds with 33 TDs and 12 INTs.

folks you don't pass for 3,000 yards with a so so line that's not up to par, pass blocking is 1 of the more difficult types of blocking in my opinion, and here's an exclamation point, how many times was cole sacked?? I really don't know but I'd be surprised if it was 10, 15 times, if that, out of 345 attempts? Draw you're own conclusions.

And how many holding penalties? Very, very few. Outstanding job in everyway, sincerely, the line didn't let this team down, the line excelled and put bluefield in position to earn another title.

Skill position players were tremendous all around, as expected, and cole will arguably be thought of as 1 of bluefield's top qb's, and rightly so, and in my opinion deserves the kennedy award for the state's top player, and players like lilly will be long thought of as being among the better all around football players bluefield has had.

But it's not and never has been about individual awards or recognition to any bluefield player, it's all about the team and more than that the tradition of bluefield beaver football. The commitment bluefield's players and coaches have shown to being the best program pound for pound in the state, and in my opinion this swva region, is more than any town could ask for.

Much appreciation to coach simon and other coaches on all the time and hard work they put into maintaining this program to. Coach simon has come a long way as a coach and they all did a great job overall of changing things up with the passing scheme and making the most out of bluefield's talent. Even more than that though I personally think bluefield can be most proud of the way the players play with class and pride, and particularly the way coach simon always says good things about bluefield's opponents and respects them all, and I myself can't say enough about bluefield's willingness to schedule any team, and maintain that difficulty in schedule, hopefully that never changes at bluefield.

So all in all appreciate the effort yall, we're proud of your alls accomplishments and you all don't really have any idea how many people from bluefield, and alumni elsewhere support the bluefield program. I know it's always been 1 thing I've been passionate about.

So don't ever think it's ended because of graduation, you just move on to a different level of being a bluefield beaver.

And to those who will suit up again, work hard and relish the opportunity to write another chapter in the tradition of this exceptional program. It's not a right, it's not an extra curricular activity, it's a unique opportunity to be part of something special.

the sky is the limit in '09 and on. Good fortune to you all, and to the graduating seniors best in life to yall.

You all have carried the torch well and then some in '08.

God bless!

Edited by buzzsawBeaver

Great post. As you said, Lilly will go down as one of the all-time greats to wear a Beaver uniform. I believe he is already the all-time tackles leader, a two-time (soon to be three time) all-state performer, and a state champion. Will Cole holds Bluefield records for passing yards in a season, passing td's in a season and I believe total passing yards for a career and is a state champion quarterback and possible Kennedy winner. I feel, along with others, he is the best quarterback in Bluefield history.

Will Cole was a great QB for Bluefield, but there's no way in my eyes you could call him the best quarterback in bluefields history

I have saw every bluefield quarterback for the last 30 years, and I would say he is the best I have watched at Bluefield in that time frame. The only one close was Jay Sims, and he was a different type of quarterback, but certainly not better.

Guest BEAVERTAIL
Will Cole was a great QB for Bluefield, but there's no way in my eyes you could call him the best quarterback in bluefields history

Id go as far as to say he holds every career record in passing for Bluefield...

And just for factual information, Cole beat the record for TD passes last year setting it at 20, this year he threw 32, shattering his old record.

I have saw every bluefield quarterback for the last 30 years, and I would say he is the best I have watched at Bluefield in that time frame. The only one close was Jay Sims, and he was a different type of quarterback, but certainly not better.

Personally Jay is who I refer to as being better, but as suggested different, I've always thought Fl St.'s qb from the '90s?, charlie ward, was very much like Jay. But I don't doubt that if Jay had been on a team with those recievers and that style O he would have been considerably better than cole, "with all due respect to Cole". Jay would have been a bigger threat to go the distance on any play more so than any player on this bluefield team, and that would have been impressive from the qb position, and were it not for his accident, I think most people who knew him and watched him would agree he would have likely been in the pros as a db. There are also a few qb's it would be interesting to see what they could have done with that style of o and those recievers, glen keene from the '96 team comes to mind, I don't know if some of the others would be the passer cole has been, but they would have been impressive none the less. Bluefield's o used ot be much more conservative though.

Regardless cole has earned a spot as 1 of the top qb's at bluefield.

The big question is does anyone think bluefield has learned that they can coach their athletes to be recievers and pass and spread the ball around a lot more and make for a much better use of their speed and talent and a more potent passing game, to go with their ground game? They would be wise to in my opinion.

We witnesses what a strong passing game can accomplish against most any d, if they were to combine that with the type of ground game they often have in stronger seasons and the more common strong d, that would put their stronger trams on any even different level.

They might not have a qb the caliber of cole for a while but again bluefield has had quite a few qb's here and their capable of excelling in that type of scheme.

Beckett seems to be a good enough athlete that if he worked on his passing he could be successful with that style.

I'll say I was very impressed with Cole this year. He and Lilly (Lilly more so on defense) were the 2 leaders of that team. Does anyone know where Cole might play in college. I'd like to see him take a stab at D1, he's one of the best High School QB's I've seen in this area.

Lilly is a great football player. Ever since the Scott game in 2006, you knew Lilly was going to be something special. Before hand, Lilly proved himself to be a force defensively but in that game he took over on offense. Since then, Lilly has played every snap of each game, unless the Beavers are far ahead on the scoreboard. All-state his first two years, leading the state in tackles and a state champion as a sophomore, leading rusher and tackler as a junior: He is one of the best to wear a Beaver uniform.

Lilly is a great football player. Ever since the Scott game in 2006, you knew Lilly was going to be something special. Before hand, Lilly proved himself to be a force defensively but in that game he took over on offense. Since then, Lilly has played every snap of each game, unless the Beavers are far ahead on the scoreboard. All-state his first two years, leading the state in tackles and a state champion as a sophomore, leading rusher and tackler as a junior: He is one of the best to wear a Beaver uniform.

Are you his agent? ;)