UVA Coaching Situation: Updates

We all know how upset UVA is with the Groh tandem, and I just wanted to keep a watch here for developments in the situation. I'm like a kid in a candy store about this, I truly am. The whole prospect is exhilarating!

Hour #1:

1. Rivals reports: "significant coaching changes" to occur at UVA. Largely unsubstantiated.

2. Two unconfirmed reports on http://www.thesabre.com stating that Al Groh/Mike Groh are fired.

3. Foster reported to be on the shortlist. Again, wild speculation.

Hour #2:

1. A conflicting report, claiming that Groh has been retained. Fairly reliable source, all things considered.

2. Much calamity, people making joke posts.

Edited by UVAObserver

We all know how upset UVA is with the Groh tandem, and I just wanted to keep a watch here for developments in the situation. I'm like a kid in a candy store about this, I truly am. The whole prospect is exhilarating!

Hour #1:

Rivals reports: "significant coaching changes" to occur at UVA. Largely unsubstantiated.

Two unconfirmed reports on http://www.thesabre.com stating that Al Groh/Mike Groh are fired.

Foster reported to be on the shortlist. Again, wild speculation.

No way Foster goes to Charlottesville. I don't think he would do that for any amount of money (I hope).

Assuming Groh is gone, what are the chances of Bobby Pruett stepping up and taking over?

No way Foster goes to Charlottesville. I don't think he would do that for any amount of money (I hope).

Assuming Groh is gone, what are the chances of Bobby Pruett stepping up and taking over?

Oh, I'm sure that Foster wouldn't come here. Greenbacks do a lot of talking, though. For all the flack UVA gives him, I don't care if he talks like someone out of the Waterboy and looks like Rocky Dennis, if he can coach this team and take this program to the next level, he'll have my support.

About Pruett, that's a possibility, come to think of it. Pruett did wonders at Marshall. He's got a proven track record, if nothing else. Though, it's not my preference. We BADLY need a good offensive-minded coach at UVA, especially after Mike Groh set the program back 5 years. Not to mention, Pruett has an age issue that can't be overlooked.

Oh, I'm sure that Foster wouldn't come here. Greenbacks do a lot of talking, though. For all the flack UVA gives him, I don't care if he talks like someone out of the Waterboy and looks like Rocky Dennis, if he can coach this team and take this program to the next level, he'll have my support.

About Pruett, that's a possibility, come to think of it. Pruett did wonders at Marshall. He's got a proven track record, if nothing else. Though, it's not my preference. We BADLY need a good offensive-minded coach at UVA, especially after Mike Groh set the program back 5 years. Not to mention, Pruett has an age issue that can't be overlooked.

Pruett wouldn't be my first choice either but I just don't see UVA's administration actually spending what it would take to bait a big name into Charlottesville. I think Pruett would fit exactly what UVA is looking for because he is a proven winner and he would probably cost a considerably less amount than some of the high profile coaches out there right now. But then again, these big-time coaches (i.e. Tuberville, Fulmer, etc.) are receiving huge buyouts from their contracts so money might not be a huge incentive at this point in time. It's way too early to tell but it will be interesting, to say the least.

Pruett wouldn't be my first choice either but I just don't see UVA's administration actually spending what it would take to bait a big name into Charlottesville. I think Pruett would fit exactly what UVA is looking for because he is a proven winner and he would probably cost a considerably less amount than some of the high profile coaches out there right now. But then again, these big-time coaches (i.e. Tuberville, Fulmer, etc.) are receiving huge buyouts from their contracts so money might not be a huge incentive at this point in time. It's way too early to tell but it will be interesting, to say the least.

UVA is sitting on a motherlode of money. True, they're tight-fisted about using it, and the donors may crawl into a little pigeonhole when it comes to a new coach. However, I could perhaps actually see them forking over money to get a big-name in here. However, it's the issue: would they even come? More likely, I see us getting someone from a school like Dooley or Petersen. Charlie Strong's name has come up as well. I'm willing to give anyone with a semi-decent track record a fighting chance.

The decision's been made: Groh will return for 2009. The staff under him, however, may be subject to change.

http://www.dailyprogress.com/cdp/news/local/article/sources_groh_to_return_as_coach/32286/

The chart on the top of the page says it all.

I just don't want to wallow in mediocrity again. It drives a stake in my heart to see it.

"For the second time in five days, VT has defeated UVA."

Edited by UVAObserver

I will agree, Groh has to make some changes to his staff to get the talent in the players he has recruited to shine.....On one hand I wish for a new head coach, on the other, I want to see if this youthfull team can do something now with the experience they got this year........

I think we have alot to look forward to, we will have 3 or maybe even 4 QB's competing for the job next year....running backs with solid experience.....defensive line that should be even better than last year.........defensive backfield that should be close to best in conference next year.....it is all next year....cant wait till August of "09.....

Thanks for all the updates observer, I had my wife(BIG HOKIE) worried all night that we were takeing Bud from VT....It was funny, just had to see us conversing, lol....

Go Wahoos

I will agree, Groh has to make some changes to his staff to get the talent in the players he has recruited to shine.....On one hand I wish for a new head coach, on the other, I want to see if this youthfull team can do something now with the experience they got this year........

I think we have alot to look forward to, we will have 3 or maybe even 4 QB's competing for the job next year....running backs with solid experience.....defensive line that should be even better than last year.........defensive backfield that should be close to best in conference next year.....it is all next year....cant wait till August of "09.....

Thanks for all the updates observer, I had my wife(BIG HOKIE) worried all night that we were takeing Bud from VT....It was funny, just had to see us conversing, lol....

Go Wahoos

LOL, I'd love to take Pud from VT. When the chips are down, he's the secret for the success. Look at all the 23-20, 20-17, 17-14, 16-14 games this year. Not exactly setting the world on fire. If he's gone, you're left with a solid-but-not-spectacular head coach, a laughably poor OC, and a flaming ? at DC. Bye-bye, VT national title hopes. Hello, fundamentally-solid defense at UVA.

I'm with you, as I'm looking to see the talent. We lose 3 of 4 starting LBs (Copper, Sintim, Appleby), 1 DE (Field), 1 stud LT (Monroe), and 1 heart-and-soul RB (Peerman). That's not a lot of people, but that's a BEVY of important people. Now, if Groh/Pruett were people open to change, this screams "PLAY A 4-3!" Alas, Groh's a curmudgeonly fellow, and won't be open to this. But we do have young talent. It just has to develop. And given Groh's track-record of developing only those in the upper portion of the ranks, I'm skeptical.

Then, there's the issue of how well the team will do. The worst possible thing for the fanbase, and even perhaps for the team in general, is to go 7-5 or 6-6 next season. The donors won't buyout Groh, and it's "rinse-lather-repeat" for yet another season. Having a 5-7 season or worse next year cleans house and is an addition by the "gets bad before it gets better" maxim. Going 9-3 or better says "well, it's partly successful".

It's been great talking with you. We could use a few more Hoo fans over here. ;)