Identity Theft of America

tbgfan

Parents clashing over kindergartners Thanksgiving costumes and now Christmas trees banished--what next?

UNC libraries to forgo Christmas trees

Chapel Hill library chief says staffers complained about the display.

CHAPEL HILL For as long as anyone can remember, Christmas trees adorned with lights and ornaments have greeted holiday season visitors to UNC Chapel Hill's two main libraries.

Not this year.

The trees, which have stood in the lobby areas of Wilson and Davis libraries each December, were kept in storage this year at the behest of Sarah Michalak, the associate provost for university libraries.

Michalak's decision followed several years of queries and complaints from library employees and patrons bothered by the Christian display, Michalak said this week.

Michalak said that banishing the Christmas displays was not an easy decision but that she asked around to library colleagues at Duke, N.C. State and elsewhere and found no other one where Christmas trees were displayed.

Aside from the fact that a UNC Chapel Hill library is a public facility, Michalak said, libraries are places where information from all corners of the world and all belief systems is offered without judgment. Displaying one particular religion's symbols is antithetical to that philosophy, she said.

“We strive in our collection to have a wide variety of ideas,†she said. “It doesn't seem right to celebrate one particular set of customs.â€

Michalak, chief librarian for four years, said at least a dozen library employees have complained over the last few years about the display. She hasn't heard similar criticism from students, though they may have voiced concerns to other library staff.

Public libraries generally shy away from creating displays promoting any single religion, said Catherine Mau, deputy director of the Durham County library system, where poinsettias provided by a library booster group provide holiday cheer.

Life has many choices---eternity has two

If they truly "strive in our collection to have a wide variety of ideas", keep the Christmas trees and add some symbols of other religions (menorrah, etc.) if they're so earnest in their desire not to offend any delicate sensibilities.

It gets disgusting to see the religious bankrupt going on in America, getting worse every day.

If they truly "strive in our collection to have a wide variety of ideas", keep the Christmas trees and add some symbols of other religions (menorrah, etc.) if they're so earnest in their desire not to offend any delicate sensibilities.

It gets disgusting to see the religious bankrupt going on in America, getting worse every day.

I agree. Don't take things down, just put other symbols up. However, there are many Christian organizations, people, whoever that would throw fits over that.

I agree. Don't take things down, just put other symbols up. However, there are many Christian organizations, people, whoever that would throw fits over that.

Good point...there is no way to make everyone happy. It is really sad that it has came to the point that no one can celebrate in fear that someone else will be offended.

It goes both ways. Christians are offended by pagan things, and non-Christians are offended by Christian things. I say just get over it...if you don't believe it then ignore it. I think people just like to complain.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

I just dont see the big fuss. If I go somewhere and see a Minorah or a Mosque am I offended? No. Do I really care? No.

We have freedom of religon here, and if people want to celebrate their religion than let them do so. I am comfortable enough with my religion to see a sign of another and still be standing upright.

These people are making much ado about nothing. Put all the ornaments on the tree, allow for the Christmas, Hannukah, Festivus or whatever stuff to be seen and go on.

Religion is a part of life for many of us, and we have the freedom to choice what religion we want to take part in. We do not have the right to be free of religions so that people can not worship and celebrate their own. And honestly, who can it really offend? We arent in a holy war over here anyways. After all, its freedom OF religion, not freedom FROM religion.

I just dont see the big fuss. If I go somewhere and see a Minorah or a Mosque am I offended? No. Do I really care? No.

We have freedom of religon here, and if people want to celebrate their religion than let them do so. I am comfortable enough with my religion to see a sign of another and still be standing upright.

These people are making much ado about nothing. Put all the ornaments on the tree, allow for the Christmas, Hannukah, Festivus or whatever stuff to be seen and go on.

Religion is a part of life for many of us, and we have the freedom to choice what religion we want to take part in. We do not have the right to be free of religions so that people can not worship and celebrate their own. And honestly, who can it really offend? We arent in a holy war over here anyways. After all, its freedom OF religion, not freedom FROM religion.

Very good point...I just wish more people saw things this way.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BEAVERTAIL

Its happening again.

Rick Warren will give the prayer at inauguration, and people are complaining that because he is against gay marriage and for that reason it is causing heartbreak and dishonor.

Give me a break. If a pro-choice/pro-gay marriage preacher gave a prayer it wouldnt affect me. It lasts a minute and then its over. Much ado about nothing once again.

Its happening again.

Rick Warren will give the prayer at inauguration, and people are complaining that because he is against gay marriage and for that reason it is causing heartbreak and dishonor.

Give me a break. If a pro-choice/pro-gay marriage preacher gave a prayer it wouldnt affect me. It lasts a minute and then its over. Much ado about nothing once again.

After a while, I have trouble coming up with the words to describe brainless idiocy like this. Nevermind that Warren and Obama share the exact same view on gay marriage. Obama's repeatedly said that he's against it. Yet, the LGBT community directs all the wrath against Rick Warren. I swear, I can't fathom the stupidity inherent in the LGBT community's reaction.