Furcal agrees to terms with Braves

BigBlueAlum

Three-year deal includes a vesting option for 2012 season

By Mark Bowman / MLB.com

ATLANTA -- The Braves are looking forward to the opportunity to once again place Rafael Furcal at the top of their lineup. At the same time, they're looking forward to having both Kelly Johnson and Yunel Escobar in that same lineup.

A Major League source confirmed Tuesday morning that Furcal and the Braves have agreed to the terms of a three-year contract that includes a vesting option for the 2012 season.

Furcal, who previously played in Atlanta from 2000-05, must undergo a physical, and it was unclear if he'd be able to do so on Tuesday. Until then, the Braves can only assume that they'll once again have his speedy presence in their leadoff spot.

Where Furcal would be positioned defensively remains to be seen. But the Braves have no intention to trade either Johnson or Escobar. Instead, they are planning to move Johnson back to left field, a position he played before moving to second base before the start of the 2007 season.

The opportunity to have both Furcal and Johnson in their lineup proved more appealing to the Braves than any of the options they were evaluating in their search to find a power-hitting outfielder.

With Johnson, they feel they have a player capable of hitting 15-20 homers. Matt Diaz could also see some time in left field.

It hasn't been revealed where Furcal will be positioned. But there's reason to believe he'll play second base and Escobar will remain at shortstop.

While previously playing for the Braves, Furcal hit .284 with a .348 on-base percentage and 189 stolen bases. The Braves haven't had a player record more than 17 stolen bases during any of the three seasons that Furcal has played for the Dodgers.

They are liars.

Escobar will be in the trade to get Peavy.

I really would hate to see Escobar go...but we sure could use Peavy.

I would rather them trade Johnson or Diaz (I'd rather see Johnson go rather than Diaz...I've always really liked the way he has played. If he would improve his average against Righties.)

But, I say it will take Escobar to get a quality pitcher, such as Peavy.

But, I say it will take Escobar to get a quality pitcher, such as Peavy.

I wish you were wrong BBAlum....but I'm afraid that could be the case w/Escobar.

Furcal still owns a home here in ATL and I think he really wants to come back home.

Yea, the latest is KJ to left, and an absolutely dynamic dp combo of Escobar and Furcal.

Who knows though, the Braves still desperately need an Ace, and i don't think KJ fits the bill as a power-hitting outfielder. Exciting offseason thus far, and I assume it will only get better.

Welcome back to the good guys, Furkie!

I say we move Kelly Johnson back to left field, as for Escobar, I have no clue...

You guys honestly think we could get Peavy for Escobar and some cash? that seems a little far-fetched...

I doubt it would be a straight trade. It would probably involve some young talent.

It may not be Peavy, but they are going to have to get help in the rotation...if not then it is going to be another long, disappointing season.

Yeah, you all have pretty much exhausted the options on the table right now for the braves. Either move KJ to left field or trade away Yunel. Rumor has it that the Yunel deal is most likely to happen (that info came from Dave O'Brien of the Atlanta Journal Constitution. He is the beat writer for the Braves). In that case, it would be Escobar and some prospects for Peavy. Right now, it's kinda dependent on how greedy the Padres want to be as far as what they ask for from the Braves. Originally, they wanted Hanson in the trade, but the Braves front office won't part ways with Hanson... which I love. It won't be long until Hanson is in the starting line up, hopefully putting up the numbers he has in Arizona fall ball. In his 10 starts, he gave up something like 2 runs. Absolutely absurd numbers that awarded him the MVP of the league.

Also, we deperately need a power hitting left fielder. Is Ryan Ludwick still on the Braves' radar to fill that need? Also, there was talk about Jermaine Dye coming back to ATL, but I think those rumors faded.

But we have to solidify our pitching staff or else we're gonna be cellar dwellers in the NL East.

the Braves of old. I miss the 13 division titles in a row, dominant pitching and late game heroics. I will never forget the sid bream slide to beat the pirates. I love Chipper Jones, in fact my dog is named after him. Anyway, I hope they surround him with some pitching and talent in other areas to get him back to the post season.

Sounds to me he was using the braves just to get more money from the Dodgers...

just like that other guy did who ended up going to the Yanks.

I hate the Yankees by the way...

Some of the bloggers are saying that maybe the Braves were being used to get LA to "show more money."

The story on the guy going to the Yanks was laughable and "out there." Supposedly, Burnett's wife, does not FLY (apparently, they live in MD or her family does...can't remember)....so it's only a 3 hr. drive to NY from MD. Thus she won't have to fly....this was according to Wren, the GM (as told in the AJC). He said if we could move ATL closer to MD he (Burnett) would probably have picked the Braves.

Who can compete w/that "bottomless money pit" ?????

Edited by trublue

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Dodgers get Furcal.

The braves were used as a decoy. I hate sport agents.

Whatever. With the injuries he's had, he'll be lucky to play 90 games. And yes. I hate sport agents as well.

As always, the only thing left to count on is our farm system. Let's just hope Hanson, Schaffer, Morton, etc. can live up to their hype.

below excerpt from the following http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/braves/stories/2008/12/18/atlanta_braves_john_schuerholz.html

“Having been in this business for 40-some years, I’ve never seen anybody treated like that,†Schuerholz said. “The Atlanta Braves will no longer do business with that company — ever. I told [agent] Arn Tellem that we can’t trust them to be honest and forthright. I told him that in all my years, I’ve never seen any [agency] act in such a despicable manner.