Looking for scores...

GMan

I have PH girls scheduled to play Tazewell on 12/12 but I have no score report from that. Was that game even played? Anybody know the result/score?

Thanks.

Following a quick search of my sources...I got nothing...

PREP BASKETBALL: Meade Leads Castlewood To Greenwave Classic Title

Published: December 31, 2008

BY ANTHONY STEVENS

SPORTS CORRESPONDENT

CLINTWOOD, Va. – The Greenwave Classic tournament championship went to Castlewood as the Blue Devils rolled by Tazewell, 63-45, at Howard Deel Gymnasium.

Tazewell, which lit up the scoreboard for 102 points in the semifinals, was held in check by the Blue Devils defense.

“We had a game plan going in and it worked,†Castlewood coach Wayne Rasnick said. “We stayed up late last night working on matchups and the team did a great job.â€

Castlewood started quickly with a nine-point lead after the first eight minutes. With point guard Ryan Meade spreading the ball around the floor, the Blue Devils increased the lead to 33-17 at halftime.

“Castlewood has a good guard and that’s important in a game,†Tazewell coach Lee Walker said. “They’re a well-coached basketball team. A lot of our shots didn’t go down tonight and that happens.â€

Tazewell cut the lead to eight points in the third quarter. However, the Bulldogs never recovered from a five-point swing early in the fourth quarter when they were called for two consecutive technical fouls .

Meade finished with 18 points and seven assists for Castlewood. Ruben Rasnick added 13 points and five rebounds, while Seth Justice totaled 11 points and seven rebounds.

“We want the ball in Meade’s hands,†Rasnick said. “He’s such a proven and tested leader. He does everything I ask of him.â€

T.J. Taxley led the Bulldogs with 15 points.

CASTLEWOOD (63) -Smith-5, Rasnick-13, Justice-11, Meade-18, Bush-6, Collins-0, Dingus-0, Allen-2, Fields-6, Summers-2, Owens-0

TAZEWELL (45) - Angles-1, Pauley-7, Harris-4, Wilborn-8, Taxley-15, Rasnick-0, Corner-8, Jones-2, Jessee-0

3 point goals- Castlewood (7) - (Smith-1, Rasnick-3, Meade-1, Fields-2); Tazewell ((1) -

(Taxley-1)

Clintwood 65, Haysi 55

Clintwood used a big fourth quarter to take a win over Haysi in the third-place game.

“We lost every game we played with them last year,†Clintwood coach David Vanover said. “This one felt pretty good.â€

The Tigers took a 48-45 lead when Chris Fleming scored on a backdoor cut with 5:50 to play in the fourth quarter. Haysi then went the next five minutes without scoring.

Peyton Kendrick was 9-of-10 from the line and hit some clutch shots in the fourth quarter en route to finishing with 14 points. Evan Vanover had a game-high 21 points. Trey Meade added 11 points and Heath Counts totaled 10 points.

CLINTWOOD (65) - T. Mullins-6, Meade-11, Counts-10, Kendrick-14, Vanover-21, Fleming-0, Saado-3, Dotson-0

HAYSI (55) - Fleming-18, Yates-6, D. Stanley-3, Mullins-12, O'Quinn-5, Elswick-0, D. Edwards-4, Bowman-7, Childress-0

3 point goals - Haysi (6) - (Fleming-1, Yates-2, D. Stanley-1, Mullins-1, Bowman-1); Clintwood (2) - (Kendrick-1, Meade-1)

Pound 58, J.J. Kelly 56

In one of the best games of the tournament it was Pound easing by Lonesome Pine District rival J.J. Kelly for fifth place.

Eric Bolling and Chase Beverly each finished with 18 points for the Wildcats. Bryan Keith contributed 12 points. Devan Sproles (14), Matthew Dotson (13) and Joseph Collins (10) were in double digits for the Indians.

POUND (58) - Dickerson-0, Beverly-18, Logan-2, J. Mullins-2, Keith-12, Rutherford-0, Bolling-18, Taylor-2, Branham-2, Lowe-2

J.J. KELLY (56) - Roberts-1, Dotson-13, Clark-3, Sproles-14, Shortt-0, Dutton-1, Teasley-2, Collins-10, Miller-12

3 point goals- J.J. Kelly (1) - (Clark-1); Pound (2) - (Beverly-1, Keith-1)

J.I. Burton 77, Ervinton 52

Perhaps a more welcome site than the first win of the season for J.I. Burton was the return of Jaycob Coleman. After missing all of last season and the first four games of this season, Coleman played 12 minutes and tallied 13 points, five assists, five steals and five rebounds.

J.I. BURTON (77) - Goins-8, Mazza-0, Coleman-13, Hensley-5, Shamiyeh-7, Deaton-19, Hunnicutt-11, Talley-6, Steele-0, Daniels-8, Large-0

ERVINTON (52) - Breeding-2, Turner-15, McCowan-19, Hall-2, Cape-2, Lewis-3, Stanley-5, Mullins-4

3 point goals - Ervinton (5) - (Turner-3, McCowan-2); J.I. Burton (5) - (Coleman-1, Shamiyeh-1, Deaton-1, Talley-2)

Host Appalachia Wins Stirring Coal Classic Finale

By Spencer Campbell

Sports Writer / Bristol Herald Courier

Published: December 30, 2008

APPALACHIA, Va. – It was more than just a title game at a preseason tournament.

The Coal Classic Tournament at Appalachia High School pitted the host school against its neighbor just five miles south on Highway 23.

The respective fans of both teams, of course, on house to inflame the rivalry.

Amidst an atmosphere whose raucousness reminded many on hand of the glory days of Lonesome Pine District basketball, Appalachia won only its third Coal Classic championship in its history of hosting the event, defeating Powell Valley 37-31.

“Powell Valley put a lot of pressure on us and I won’t say that I thought here was a lot of fouling going on, but it got rough,†Appalachia coach Pat Jervis said. “But we’re just tickled to win. Powell Valley had got kind of rolling in this tournament and anytime we beat Powell Valley it’s a wonderful win.â€

Even with both teams employing high-energy, high-scoring offenses throughout the early rounds of the tournament the game quickly dissolved into a physical foul-fest that anchored both sides of the scoreboard.

“Powell Valley, Appalachia about anything they play is going to be physical,†Viking coach Zack Moore said. “It’s going to be intense and guys on both teams exerted a lot of energy early.â€

With both teams playing physically and perhaps a bit haphazardly, neither team got loose in the first half, with Appalachia taking a 22-13 lead into the second half.

But behind the penetrating drives and almost unlimited range of sophomore guard Tyler Garrison, who finished with a game-high 17 points, Powell Valley rolled off a 9-0 in the middle of the third quarter to reduce their deficit to 27-22 heading into the fourth quarter.

Garrison hit two big threes in the final period and the Vikings got to within four points with just over one minutes remaining, but Forrest Stuart nailed two free throws with less than a minute to play to provide the Bulldogs with their six-point winning margin.

Stuart finished with a Bulldog-high 13 points, earning the label of “stud†from his coach.

“This is the way Lonesome Pine used to be,†Jervis said. It used to be this way for regular season game. Hopefully basketball is back on the rise.â€

POWELL VALLEY (31) – Tyler Garrison 17, Hubbard 4, Martin 4, Cantrell 5, Vaughn 1.

APPALACHIA (37) – Hall 7, Forrest Stuart 13, M. Stuart 4, Allen 8, Fechtner 5.

Powell Valley 7 6 9 9–31

Appalachia 10 12 5 10–37

3-point goals – Powell Valley 2 (Garrison 2); Appalachia 2 (Hall, F. Stuart). ***************************

J.I. Burton 61, J.J. Kelly 47

Up by two points over Kelly entering the third quarter, Burton quickly squandered its meager lead and found itself in a four-point hole as the final period got underway.

It was time for Burton coach Mike Goforth to reach into his bag of inspiration and deliver a resounding rallying cry.

“I thought playing Kelly would be enough motivation for them, but I really had to jump on them,†Goforth said. “I broke my clipboard. I don’t know if that’s a change of philosophy, but I broke my clipboard and got onto them pretty good.â€

Unconventional? Sure. Successful? Absolutely.

Led by sophomore forward Ra’Shelle Miller and a stifling pressure defense, the Lady Raiders outscored the Lady Indians 24-6 over the final eight minutes on Tuesday to take home the school’s first-ever Coal Classic Tournament championship.

“It’s huge,†Goforth said of winning the tournament title. “But at the same time we’ve got to move onto the next game. The Coal Classic is great and it’s good for our program, but we’ve got to focus on [our next opponent].

Miller led the Lady Raiders with a game-high 26 points, while freshman guard Sheniqua Woods chipped in with 12.

But it was Burton’s suffocating defense that rallied the Raiders past the Indians. Early in the fourth quarter Miller snatched a Kelly inbound pass underneath the Indians’ own basket and laid in the bucket.

She repeated the feat just a few seconds later.

In one offensive set, the Lady Raiders made the front end of a one-and-one, rebounded the backend miss, converted that possession into two more successful foul shots, intercepted the subsequent Indian inbounds pass before laying in another two-point field goal.

Kelly did not score in the fourth quarter until 2:45 minutes remained in the fourth quarter.

“We had a four-point lead heading into the fourth quarter and just fell apart,†Kelly coach Robin Dotson said. “We had four seniors on the floor and the pressure got to us and we collapsed in the fourth quarter.â€

Kelly was led by senior Jaydee Brewer, who tallied 14 points, and freshman Allison Mullins, who added 11.

BURTON (61) – Sheniqua Woods 12, Hill 9, Stallard 8, Ra’Shelle Miller 26, Hamilton 6.

KELLY (47) – Mullins 2, Jaydee Brewer 14, Chisenhall 2, Kilgore 8, Hopkins 6, Allison Mullins 11, Ashley Mullins 2, Lawson 2.

Burton 11 14 12 24–61

Kelly 10 13 18 6–47

3-point goal – Burton 2 (Hill, Stallard); Kelly 3 (Brewer 2, Kilgore).

BOYS BASKETBALL

Virginia High 66, Abingdon 57

Corey Young scored 24 points as Virginia High held off Abingdon for a 66-57 non-district win in Southwest Virginia boys basketball at the Bearcat Den.

Josh Moore added 15 points for VHS (8-1), while Tyler Mink and Josh Tignor added eight points apiece.

Jacob Hess led three Abingdon players in double figures with 20 points. Colby Hunt (16 points) and Nathaniel Funk (10 points) also played well for the Falcons (3-6).

Marion 48, Chilhowie 32

Gavin Roe scored 13 points and Garrett Johnson added 10 as the Scarlet Hurricane (3-3) won a Smyth County matchup.

GIRLS BASKETBALL

Haysi 56, Coeburn 48

Holly Hyden scored 18 points as the Tigers (5-3) stopped Coeburn in a non-district game.

Kayla Mitchell led Coeburn with 16 points.

Chilhowie 42, Marion 28

Juniors Krystal Patton (14 points) and Heather Hash (11 points) teamed to carry Chilhowie past Smyth County foe Marion.

Fort Chiswell 62, Northwood 50

Kendra Nutter collected 12 points and 15 rebounds for Northwood, but Fort Chiswell posted the non-district win.

Kelsie Snodgrass added 11 points and 15 rebounds for Northwood, now 6-3.

Kendra Vaughn scored 19 points for Fort Chiswell en route to reaching the 1,000 career point mark.

Virginia High 45, Abingdon 28

Savannah Pippin scored 17 points as Virginia High improved to 7-1 with a non-district victory over Abingdon.

Sabrina Viers led Abingdon (2-6) with 12 points.

Life has many choices---eternity has two

Google...lol. I just googled "Patrick Henry Tazewell basketball" and came up with a Roanoke and BHC article on the game too, haha.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&channel=s&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=3JQ&q=Patrick+Henry+Tazewell+basketball&btnG=Search

While were on the subject...some probably don't know but the Kingsport paper has games for this area (Lee, Wise, Scott, etc.) over here too for anyone interested. They have a main webpage (here: http://www.timesnews.net/), free for view limited version and then the full for subscription. They don't put a lot up of sports articles up for free view though (they did have another sports page up last year that was pretty good, that included schedules, rosters, stats, etc...but not this year for some reason). They also have another page, that's most of whats in the current day's paper...here: http://ktnonline.timesnews.net/ Its not organized real well so you'll have to sort trhough, but like for the basketball scores (and not the articles), they're down under the Sports section and under "basketball", just click "full story" and the scoreboard section comes up, scroll down the page to find the high school scores.

Also, the Coalfield Progress has scores (for their area) ocassionally under their scoreboard section http://www.thecoalfieldprogress.com/...viewStory=2914 (usually a few days or so behind though) and under the "The Final Score" section http://www.thecoalfieldprogress.com/...wsSectionId=54 (nothing up on it at the moment, but they usually have them up the night of the games or the next morning.