Officating

Guest stuntdouble

Guest stuntdouble

Is it me or is the officating this year worst than ever. What are some of your opions on this?

Is it me or is the officating this year worst than ever. What are some of your opions on this?

It is hard to officiate bad basketball. If they called every thing the way it should be, you would be there all night.

I totally agree! I have watched years of basketball, and other than one game this year, I have NEVER seen such horrible officiating! Sometimes you wonder if you are only seeing it from one side, however, when everyone seems to feel the same way, something is definitely wrong!

I said this is a previous thread but still think it holds true..

HS basketball is the worst officiated sport for HS as a whole.. The only way to change it is for younger people to get into it who have been involved in basketball in their life.. They need to get into the rules clinic, study the rules, take the test and take it seriously.. The problem with all sports is older people that ''know'' the rules and dont look at the rules book anymore.. Dont look for VHSL to make a move on this, they'll say something but there is only so much they can do.

Officating this year worst than ever.

I said this is a previous thread but still think it holds true..

HS basketball is the worst officiated sport for HS as a whole.. The only way to change it is for younger people to get into it who have been involved in basketball in their life.. They need to get into the rules clinic, study the rules, take the test and take it seriously.. The problem with all sports is older people that ''know'' the rules and dont look at the rules book anymore.. Dont look for VHSL to make a move on this, they'll say something but there is only so much they can do.

I agree with both statements.

Edited by bmh8_2011

High School officiating in Southwest Va is terrible. There is no denying it. However, if you were to ask the officials they would get offended and just penalize your team. I think the main problem is that no one holds them accountable and they can call anything they want. Who assigns or grades officials in SW VA. Who ever it is must not care about the quality. The leaders need to have a little pride and right the ship. If they don't want to then put someone else in charge.

I went to a camp at King College this past summer and they had many many refs there officiating. They were there to watch ALL officials. Yes all officials, not just the young ones. These leaders seemed to have pride in training their officials so that they could put a good consistent crew on the floor at all games.

SW VA offiating is so inconsistent it aint even funny. You are lucky to have one good official in each crew. However, the other two make him look bad by calling every tick tack foul. Whoever is in charge of officiating needs to be held accountable or let someone else give it a try.

High School officiating in Southwest Va is terrible. There is no denying it. However, if you were to ask the officials they would get offended and just penalize your team. I think the main problem is that no one holds them accountable and they can call anything they want. Who assigns or grades officials in SW VA. Who ever it is must not care about the quality. The leaders need to have a little pride and right the ship. If they don't want to then put someone else in charge.

I went to a camp at King College this past summer and they had many many refs there officiating. They were there to watch ALL officials. Yes all officials, not just the young ones. These leaders seemed to have pride in training their officials so that they could put a good consistent crew on the floor at all games.

SW VA offiating is so inconsistent it aint even funny. You are lucky to have one good official in each crew. However, the other two make him look bad by calling every tick tack foul. Whoever is in charge of officiating needs to be held accountable or let someone else give it a try.

OK FB 2 --- you are in charge! Try and change high school basketball officiating.....it can't be done. Nobody wants to do it now as it is.

I don't think it is as bad as some say it is. You are going to get a bad call ever now and then, but that happens in most sports. Young officials are going to make mistakes, if the coaches would just keep coaching and the fans lay off of these guys, I believe that the cream of the crop would eventually be doing most of the games and the weaker ones would get lost in the shuffle.

just my thoughts, not trying to argue..........

OK FB 2 --- you are in charge! Try and change high school basketball officiating.....it can't be done. Nobody wants to do it now as it is.

Sure other people want to do it. I've had officials tell me that if you're not in "the click" then you don't get as many games or the big games.

Sure other people want to do it. I've had officials tell me that if you're not in "the click" then you don't get as many games or the big games.

heard that was in alotta sports in the AOA.. but im sure it happens everywhere..

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Does the officials board for each area assign HS games? Cause in WV the head coaches in varsity basketball assign games to refs for the most part...

Does the officials board for each area assign HS games? Cause in WV the head coaches in varsity basketball assign games to refs for the most part...

SWVA officials are not assigned by coaches -- but by the association's head. I agree there should be a rating system - coaches should be able to rate officials the day after their game.

I have been told by all three ADs in Tazewell County that there are not enough officials to cover the number of games being played -- I think I was told 92 total -- and with 3 man crews or 30 games each night -- the problem arises when the SWD runs quads -- which takes 2 crews. Some officials can't officiate every night due to work or personal committments.

I don't feel that the association's head takes into account concerns that have been expressed to him by coaches regarding particular officials --

The one time the coaches get any say on the officials is at the end of the season when they vote on the officials they think can represent the SWD at the state tournament -

No penalty for doing a bad job -- only recognition for doing a good job.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Yeah in WV, you do a bad job you may not get asked back. And, every varsity game you do you are ranked on a 1-5 scale and the coaches can report you for various things I cant remember exactly. I think some are like knowledge of rules and hustle etc...

yea i remember one time a referee at the bluefield girls game officiated it so bad that he had to beg the coach to let him reff their games again

I guess that it why SW VA officiting is such a laughing stock. I've had officials from NE TN tell me they would absolutely not ref in SW VA because of the old buddy system. Letting coaches pick officials for regional and state games is horrendous. Think about this in reality. This means that officials are going to give questionable calls to teams going to the playoffs. If not, then these coaches will not vote for them come playoff time. This definitely does not help mediocre teams. Why not let each coach send a grade in AFTER EACH GAME to grade officials for that game. Then add up each officials grade at the end of the regular season to determine who should get to ref the playoffs. Also, refs with the lowest grades should be looked at for improvement. However, I guess letting coaches grade officials after each game would hurt the old buddy system by exposing some of the old buddy refs.