What are the coaches in the SWD thinking about in girls Basketball?

BCRAM55

What are the coaches in the SWD thinking about by not naming Kayla Goins player of the year? She was the best player on the best team in the district. Her team went 12-0 in 17-9 overall the conference and she had only one other player who finish in the top 10, where the Sutherland Player had two more players in the top 10 yet they only finish 7-14 overall and 5-7 in the district. Come on coaches you can do better then this or wait this might explain why year after year Carroll wins the district because Coach Motley and his staff understand what it takes to be a good team/program. Here is have the teams fill out. Congts Coach Motley on being name Coach of the year.

All-Southwest District

Coach of the Year — Marc Motley

Player of the Year - Kelsey Sutherland, Tazewell, Jr

First-team

Kayla Goins, Jr, Carroll County

Maggie Jones, Sr., Graham

Chelsea Gallinger, Jr., Graham

Lauren Wilson, Jr. Abingdon

Second-Team

Brittney Muncey, Tazewell

Katelyn Mitchell, Tazewell

Holly Bowman, Grundy

Samantha Mitchell, Abingdon

Kaitlan Viars, Carroll

Cassie Ringstaff, Richlands

What are the coaches in the SWD thinking about by not naming Kayla Goins player of the year? She was the best player on the best team in the district. Her team went 12-0 in 17-9 overall the conference and she had only one other player who finish in the top 10, where the Sutherland Player had two more players in the top 10 yet they only finish 7-14 overall and 5-7 in the district. Come on coaches you can do better then this or wait this might explain why year after year Carroll wins the district because Coach Motley and his staff understand what it takes to be a good team/program. Here is have the teams fill out. Congts Coach Motley on being name Coach of the year.

All-Southwest District

Coach of the Year — Marc Motley

Player of the Year - Kelsey Sutherland, Tazewell, Jr

First-team

Kayla Goins, Jr, Carroll County

Maggie Jones, Sr., Graham

Chelsea Gallinger, Jr., Graham

Lauren Wilson, Jr. Abingdon

Second-Team

Brittney Muncey, Tazewell

Katelyn Mitchell, Tazewell

Holly Bowman, Grundy

Samantha Mitchell, Abingdon

Kaitlan Viars, Carroll

Cassie Ringstaff, Richlands

exactly what are they thinking Muncy does not have an E in it. They need to learn to Spell Matt and Britney's name. It's M U N C Y

When the coaches vote on player of the year, a lot of things are considered, not just stats. I don't know anything about this situation, but was this kid a good leader, on and off the court? The stats aren't the only thing to consider for POY. What kind of attitude did she have, sportsmanship, respect....etc.?

i think Kelsey deserved it personally. shes only a junior and she already has 1,000 points. she has shown that she can play and she is a class act on and off the court.

When the coaches vote on player of the year, a lot of things are considered, not just stats. I don't know anything about this situation, but was this kid a good leader, on and off the court? The stats aren't the only thing to consider for POY. What kind of attitude did she have, sportsmanship, respect....etc.?

She has a good attitude, those aren't any of the reasons she didn't get it. I think Kayla deserved it and beano she is very close to 1000 herself which I think is more or about the same of an accomplishment than kelsey having it her junior year if you consider some of the players Kayla has been playing under or with since her freshman year.

this says it all... Goins had higher numbers than Sutherland across the board except in scoring, as the Tazewell junior averaged 17 points per game (Kayla averaged 15). Aside from that, Carroll County beat Tazewell three times this season with Goins outscoring Sutherland 66-46 head-to-head in those contests, including 26 points each in the last two contests between the teams. Not to mention Carroll’s records of 17-9, 12-0 compared to Tazewell’s mark of 7-14 overall and 5-7 in the district.

Kayla is a true leader on and off the court. She also won the head to head match up vs. Kelsey Sutherland and her stats were better in the head to head games. I'd love to have seen the voting.

When it comes down to it, Kayla has the undefeated district championship(s) so that is what really matters.

Edited by evophoto

this says it all... Goins had higher numbers than Sutherland across the board except in scoring, as the Tazewell junior averaged 17 points per game (Kayla averaged 15). Aside from that, Carroll County beat Tazewell three times this season with Goins outscoring Sutherland 66-46 head-to-head in those contests, including 26 points each in the last two contests between the teams. Not to mention Carroll’s records of 17-9, 12-0 compared to Tazewell’s mark of 7-14 overall and 5-7 in the district.

Kayla is a true leader on and off the court. She also won the head to head match up vs. Kelsey Sutherland and her stats were better in the head to head games. I'd love to have seen the voting.

When it comes down to it, Kayla has the undefeated district championship(s) so that is what really matters.

According to the stats presented at the meeting - Sutherland stats were better than Goins in points - assists - and steals -- Goins had more rebounds than Sutherland --

It is my understanding that the coaches put their first team nominees on the table and then voted on the POY from those -- I am not sure how many votes Sutherland or Goins received or if any other player in the district received votes for POY - I do know that after the POY was selected the remaining players were given a score between 9 and 1 - with the player they felt most deserving receiving 9 points -- the points were added up from all seven coaches and then the top four joined Sutherland on first team -- and then next 6 were second team [i think there was a tie and that is the reason for 6 on second team]. I do think that POY is an honor - but actually being on the first or second team is also an honor - only 11 players received this honor out of probably 75+ players --

Region IV team should be out this week - and then the state team in about 2 weeks - the Region meeting was last Wednesday in Wythville and the state meeting has yet to occur -- In the Region meeting only the top four teams in the Region can vote - but if you have a player that could/should be considered for the team the coach is invited to attend - not required - just invited -- coaches who support their players will be in attendance --

I will tell you I saw Motley and spoke to him just after the meeting ended for a moment and he did not appear upset - he seemed satisfied - as did most of the coaches. I have known in some previous years these district meetings can get heated - this one did not appear to have that affect on the coaches -

Sutherlands attitude was not anything great either, she gave the Graham fans the finger twice this past season, I do not think a POY should display this type of behaivor.

I don't quite believe this - however I have requested copies of all the games with THS and GHS - so I can watch them - I am off tomorrow and will do this -

I don't believe this for two reasons - Sutherland is not that type -- she's quite shy and second Mr. Hovis would have not allowed it - he would have suspended her from playing himself - she would have spent a day in the office - her parent's notified and her coach would have been informed that he needed to maintain control and called into the office himself-- ask any Tazewell baskeball fan and see if this has not happened this year and in the past years when student-athletes forget that they are representing their school. Mr Hovis has suspended or punished students beyond any received from the officials or when none was received by the officials.

I have no problem with this -- I think that participation in sports is a priviledge - it is not an entitled position -- and when you are wearing your school's uniform you need to display proper behavior -

If you want a copy to watch for yourself - let me know and I will get you one -- their coach videos all the games and gives copies to all the team members -

The Sutherland girl is a good player but if she has two other teamates that finish in the top ten. Yet they only won 7 games, it was not a case of her getting 25 points a game. Maybe the coach should be fired with 3 players in the top 11 and you go 5-7 in the distirct(something is wrong)

Edited by BCRAM55

First of all I would like to say CONGRATS to all players who made 1st, 2nd and honorable mention teams nice job girls!!!!!

Now on to business at hand POY for SWD. People have there own opinion on who should have got what and when the results don't agree with yours, you start talking trash about it and about the players who got it. These girls work hard all year and to get voted to these teams is an honor. The votes are not considered soley on stats yes that is a big part of it, but not all of it so just let the girls enjoy there award.

I think the race for POY was close and both players (sutherland and goins) proved to be very good at what they do but the coaches made there decision and it can't be changed so let it go. I am sure both players are really outstanding girls on and off the court and I am sure they have there faults on and off the court cause no one is perfect.

Oh and the comment about sutherland doing that to grahams student section I have to say I watched a copy of the game cause I know her parents which they record every game and I didn't see it happen on the tape.

First of all I would like to say CONGRATS to all players who made 1st, 2nd and honorable mention teams nice job girls!!!!!

Now on to business at hand POY for SWD. People have there own opinion on who should have got what and when the results don't agree with yours, you start talking trash about it and about the players who got it. These girls work hard all year and to get voted to these teams is an honor. The votes are not considered soley on stats yes that is a big part of it, but not all of it so just let the girls enjoy there award.

I think the race for POY was close and both players (sutherland and goins) proved to be very good at what they do but the coaches made there decision and it can't be changed so let it go. I am sure both players are really outstanding girls on and off the court and I am sure they have there faults on and off the court cause no one is perfect.

Oh and the comment about sutherland doing that to grahams student section I have to say I watched a copy of the game cause I know her parents which they record every game and I didn't see it happen on the tape.

I did not trash any of the players I said what were the coaches thinking. I made my point that the Goins should have been POY. This is why carroll will continue to win the district because they get it.

the answer is easy to see, ram. when the 4 "original" swd schools stick together, they get their way. it's all political in tazewell county, everything is. combine their desire to stick up for one of their own with their frustration that carroll beats them like a drum year in and year out, as well as the fact that tazewell's coach is seemingly more concerned with getting his kids individual accolades than putting together a solid program (see: allie hunter). motley will go in and present his case; mitchell will pull strings behind the scenes. and because of that, the best player doesn't always get the recognition she deserves.

if i am not wrong hasn't jessi watts received co player of the year her junior and senior year and she shared it with jenni keene but they both deserved it. So what is so political about it? Coaches present there case and vote just because you all think because you are not one of the "original " swd school that it isn't fair come on. Tell me what strings where pulled for sutherland to get POY? I think she deserved it myself but coming from me may sound biase but so does you saying goins deserved it cause you are from carroll county. The sutherland girl work hard this year she gave it her all so let her have this honor.

if i am not wrong hasn't jessi watts received co player of the year her junior and senior year and she shared it with jenni keene but they both deserved it. So what is so political about it? Coaches present there case and vote just because you all think because you are not one of the "original " swd school that it isn't fair come on. Tell me what strings where pulled for sutherland to get POY? I think she deserved it myself but coming from me may sound biase but so does you saying goins deserved it cause you are from carroll county. The sutherland girl work hard this year she gave it her all so let her have this honor.

I have been told that if you get the coach of the year honor in carroll county you also receive a $500 bonus - maybe that is why Motley is more worried about his individual honors and not those for his players. In my opinion Tracy Raben deserved the coach of the year in the SWD - but she also wanted more for her players than for herself - she had two first team recipients - both deserving of this honor as well. She did not push for herself - she pushed for her players -

I have been told that if you get the coach of the year honor in carroll county you also receive a $500 bonus - maybe that is why Motley is more worried about his individual honors and not those for his players. In my opinion Tracy Raben deserved the coach of the year in the SWD - but she also wanted more for her players than for herself - she had two first team recipients - both deserving of this honor as well. She did not push for herself - she pushed for her players -

You couldn't be anymore wrong about coaches getting bonuses for winning coach of the year. I know this for a fact.

You couldn't be anymore wrong about coaches getting bonuses for winning coach of the year. I know this for a fact.

Most everywhere you don't but I have been told by that at CC you do. I will check on this more -- my sources were two CC coaches -

Guest Woolybugger
...maybe that is why Motley is more worried about his individual honors and not those for his players....

Re-freaking-diculous. You obviously don't know Motley. I wonder if you know Jack.

As for the POY, both players deserved it. No doubt. Not taking anything away from Sutherland. She had a great year. But I would think that a guard finishing three rebounds away from a double double average, carrying the team in key situations and making as many huge plays in huge situations as Goins did, plus the fact that she didn't play for a mediocre team, would be worth being named POY.

fact check: i'm not a native of cc. i don't even live in cc. in fact, i was born and raised in tazewell co. trust me, i know tazewell county and how it operates, as i've also got experience in the school system there, both teaching and coaching. and ftr, one of the tazco girls' hc's is a very good friend of mine. let's leave it at that.

oh, and don't get started on watts vs. keene. this conversation? same exact principle. you can thank coach mitchell for keene's honor. and that's a shame.

If coach mitchell had that much pull on who got what than someone else from that team would have that honor. And futhermore todays paper lists sutherland ane gallinger as two of the top four palyers in the four seasons area and don't think mitchell had a hand in that since bluefield daily telegrah and pocahontas coal association makes that desicion. So congrats to them both on that and for hankins for being awarded player of the year. well deserved girls!!!!!!!!! NO MATTER WHAT OTHER PEOPLE MAY THINK!!!!!!

fact check: i'm not a native of cc. i don't even live in cc. in fact, i was born and raised in tazewell co. trust me, i know tazewell county and how it operates, as i've also got experience in the school system there, both teaching and coaching. and ftr, one of the tazco girls' hc's is a very good friend of mine. let's leave it at that.

oh, and don't get started on watts vs. keene. this conversation? same exact principle. you can thank coach mitchell for keene's honor. and that's a shame.

How do you suppose you can thank Mitchell - his vote was for Hunter [Tazewell's nominee that year] the remaining four coaches split the vote -- Richlands voted for Keene as they should and Carroll voted for Watts as they should -- Graham and Grundy can be thanked for the honor given to both girls -- not Mitchell.

Most everywhere you don't but I have been told by that at CC you do. I will check on this more -- my sources were two CC coaches -

You can check all you want, but coaches in CC do NOT get bonuses for being coaches of the year. They get bonuses for making the playoffs.