VHSL Legend Finally Honored

fatherof4

VH$L legend finally honored

By Robert Anderson | The Roanoke Times

Have you ever seen Superman fly?

I have, and I'll never forget the first time.

It was the night during the winter of 1986-87 I saw Calvin Talford sail across a basketball floor in a Castlewood High School basketball uniform.

He had just missed a shot on the other end, hesitated because he thought he had been fouled, then sprinted upcourt when no call was made. A Gate City High player took a jump shot at the other end. Talford had no chance to block the shot, but he tried anyway, soaring 20-some feet in the air like a Nike-wearing comet.

He didn't get any leather, but there was a loud thud. It was my jaw hitting the bleachers because I had just witnessed the most spectacular high school athlete I've ever seen.

Think you had a good senior year in high school? Try matching Talford's at Castlewood in 1987-88.

He averaged 30 points a game in basketball as senior, once outscoring a Chilhowie team by himself with 59 points and six dunks in a 99-56 win.

He set VH$L Group A track and field records in the high jump (7 feet), long jump (23-11 34) and triple jump (49-8 12) that still stand.

He was drafted by the Philadelphia Phillies after a prep baseball career that included a home run on the first pitch of the game in the Region C semifinals.

He came out for football as a senior and scored all five of his team's touchdowns in a playoff victory over Fort Chiswell.

The 6-foot-4 Talford -- the 1988 Timesland male athlete of the year -- had absurd leaping ability. He led East Tennessee State to four NCAA tournament berths and won the collegiate slam dunk title in 1992. He played professionally overseas, dunking on five continents.

Later this month, Talford will finally get a well-deserved spot in the Virginia High School Hall of Fame, entering with a class that includes NFL star Thomas Jones (Powell Valley) and Blacksburg soccer coach Shelley Blumenthal.

Talford was a show-stopper. At the 1988 Region C track meet, he somehow wound up in a one-on-one impromptu dunk contest on a goal behind the stands at Auburn High School.

The meet was still going on, but hardly anyone cared. Most of the spectators were standing on the top row watching the show outside the stadium.

Soon Talford will be inside the VH$L Hall.

It's about time.

• 2 weeks later...

A class guy and great athlete... Did he not also win the NCAA Slam Dunk contest also???

I remember once attending a bball camp him and his team mates from etsu put on in Bristol... they were so competitive coaching the kids and yet loved each other and what they were doing... To me it was a great inspiration seeing what those guys/calvin was doing in front and with those kids!!

If Cal ever decided to coach.. he'd be great IMO....

again best of luck and congrads...

Best of Luck to Ryan also...