richlands girls jv coach

blade

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Yea Fred is tough, very tough. Thats the way we like it here in Richlands. Good way to get rid of the weak. I would rather my child have a coach who is structured and may yell than to have a softy who knows nothing. He's a great coach.

Maybe so but it hasn't started yet tell me what you think when the season starts and these are not boys we are talking about these are daddy's little girls. Somebody talked to my daughter like that I would mash his face. Boy's I can see being real hardass on cause they need it. Everybody acts like these Richlands girl's are going to the pro's why put a kid through misery to only get into a low leve college like emory. When it comes down to the season they might win every game but they are not going to be happy so does winning mean everything in Richlands.

The way the economy is everyones going to need all the help they can get to send their children to college. It is an honor for a child to recieve a scholarship to any college rather its big or small. Considering it costs $34,000 a year equaling out around $140,000 for four years to attend Emory is a huge chunk of change, but I guess they don't teach you how to add at AT&T huh? Getting back to Fred you were wrong about one thing........even some boys can not handle his coaching style. But how do they say things in Tazewell? Oh yea, "If you can't hang with the big dogs stay on the porch." You may wear blue but you bleed green. Quit straddling the fence, it's a dangerous place to be.

• 3 weeks later...
Fred got replaced as the varisty coach about 10 years ago, if he come down he knows the game and can be an great help if not he won't last long.

This goes out to all the fred fans and any other person that think that he's a great coach .

ray charles could coach these girls ! I mean come on a couple of these girls could start at about any varsity team around and if they where in WVA,or KY. they would be a starter on the varsity . now before the cry babies start there crap about ,he's a great coach, he's won X number of games by X number of points. he's been here and there . shshshsh!!! and listen heres a secret a coach is only as good as his players know matter what offence he runs and know matter what he teaches ! if you dont have the talent you look just like any other coach and you can not win without talent know mater what it has never been done from the time basketball has beeen played with a peach basket untill now and it wont ever be, And with game getting more and more complex with hidden man 3-2 zones and everything more of a motion game you have got to have a team like fred has had given to him I mean before you start your bashing ask yourself how many teams has fred had that hasnt had talent and would he have took the job if say these girls where not even average players? I played ball in high school and beyond and can tell you this there has never been a (coach )win a state championship, he only cuts down one string of the net the players ....

they cut the rest , I can name atleast 7 more coaches that are far better than ole fred but you would not know them because you havent heard of them beacuse they havent ever had a great team that is allways talked about , for you that may know this this is for those that dont coahes are TEACHERS thats all they are ,during the game they just keep giving there players quizes on what they know it just so happens that freds class room is full of top 10 students and that makes it so much easier.

I would imagine that some of the freshman girls will move up to varsity. Richlands has two guards that will be 8th graders this year and won't be able to play JV until the middle school season is over -- both are good -- but both are also hold backs -- and yes a year does make a difference -- So I am not sure Fred's year will be that great until the 8th graders move up.

I have to agree that most of these girls would be offered a scholarship to Emory and Henry based solely on their academics. If they are going to endure a year or two with Fred -- I would hope that they would get a better offer than Emory and Henry basketball. Don't get me wrong Emory is a great academic school and it would be great for a kid to go there -- but let's set the bar a little higher for these girls in the athletic career.

I hope Richlands has a great year with their girl's basketball program.

for you that may know this this is for those that dont coahes are TEACHERS thats all they are ,during the game they just keep giving there players quizes on what they know it just so happens that freds class room is full of top 10 students and that makes it so much easier.

Lawlz (borrowed the word from Lance).....thanks for reminding us all HS coaches are teachers.....(at least, I think that was what you were saying). Reading these posts.....I'm assuming these are very bright young ladies that are also athletes.....great to hear.

That being said.....I would think they would only get better being "schooled" by a "hard-nosed" coach ( as Phiilips appears to be based on these posts.... pls.NOTE, I don't endorse berating).

I can equate that to being in school and the harder teachers I had....maybe, weren't my favorites but, I certainly learned from them and didn't leave school thinking any less of them.

My definition of "hard-nosed" is someone that is in the role of a "true" coach....teaching the fundamentals along w/the more advanced schemes... and when these are learned at a younger age,they should certainly become more"natural" with repetition.

Remember, if the young ladies mentioned have goals to play at any college level....I don't think it's gonna be "sugar and spice everything nice" with their first introduction practice from a college coach.

Edited by trublue

• 4 weeks later...