Region D Classification

footballfan08

GMAN...Aren't Grayson and Bland (Grayson County High School) and (Bland County High School)? -- Along with Bath, Craig, and Highland

I think Grayson, Highland, Bath, and Craig are traditional county high schools like Floyd, etc. But Bland I think is different. I think it's Bland High School and Rocky Gap High School but for sports they consolidate to make Bland County... however, I could be very wrong. I think this started a few years ago as I've seen no one schedule Rocky Gap for anything in about five years but I think Rocky Gap still exists.

i see. I didn't realize their school was that big, but they brought a good sized crowd with them to salem a couple of years ago.

they brought a good sized crowd and A GOOD FOOTBALL team to the 06 state championship game with richlands.

GC_Quincy

The Div. split is done at the Region level. Their numbers put them in the bottom-half of Region B.

The first year we had this (1986), it was done at the state level. But because so many small schools were this side of Roanoke and around the coast, Region B only had THREE small schools that year. Manassas Park got in on a bye, and Brentsville District (4-5-1) beat 0-10 George Mason by a point in the first round. Since a lot of fuss was raised, the new system went into effect in 1987.

Rule 68.8.3 (the "Rye Cove Rule") was passed in the Spring of 2004 and took effect in the Fall of 2005. By that time, Rye's numbers had fallen enough to put them in Div. 1 outright. The only schools in the state that were eligible to use it were Pound & Thomas Walker.

Two Div. 1 schools were also "eligible" to drop. Here's what I posted...

"I wonder if Pocahontas could play King & Queen for the Division 0 title? "

-------

deuces

BHS & RGHS started a combined footbal team in the early 90's & came up with a new name & nickname for the team, then combined all sports around 2002.

------

Beamerball

Yeah, the RE Lee ppl. were (and may still be) a bit snooty about how THEIR school was Lee.

I had a, ummm, "conversation" with one of them about that on VP about 3 seasons ago. He got on the state scoreboard and said Lee won XX-YY. I replied, "No, Lee LOST xx-yy." He was all, like, you know, WE'RE Lee, and I don't know who your school was named after, but ours was (something something about Robert E.).

I said something like "it's too bad they don't teach y'all state history up there. "Ours" was named for "Light Horse Harry", a former Governor. Look him up.

Who's your daddy?"

(The gov. was Robert E.'s dad)

(And, yes, I've called them Lee County. on the radio many a night. Never felt right just saying Lee, and Lee High makes 'em sound like some Ivy League school.)

If I rem. correctly, the school was supposed to be called Lee County High, but the Ewing ppl. wouldn't let Walker close. So after it was publicized as "County", it didn't turn out that way.

------

And everyone's forgetting another County high - Pulaski.

What I concur about the criteria of using "County" in the official High School name is determined by whether or not there is another HS in that county (who competes in athletics).

Therefore it is incorrect to say Lee County HS since Tom Walker is also located there., just like it is incorrect to say Giles County HS, since Narrows is also there.

Like VHSLhelper discussed, Rocky Gap High combines with Bland High for athletics, so it is then okay to say Bland County when they participate as a merged team.

Bath, Floyd, Grayson, Highland, Carroll, Pulaski, Craig, and Patrick all have "County" in their official title since there are not any other VHSL participating high schools in their county.

The exception to this rule might be Alleghany High, which I don't think uses the official title Alleghany County High School - I do know that Covington HS is a city school that is completely surrounded by the county, so I am not sure if this has any bearing, but Galax city is sandwiched between Grayson and Carroll counties, and it does not change either of their titles.

Edited by footballfan08

What I concur about the criteria of using "County" in the official High School name is determined by whether or not there is another HS in that county (who competes in athletics).

Therefore it is incorrect to say Lee County HS since Tom Walker is also located there., just like it is incorrect to say Giles County HS, since Narrows is also there.

Like VHSLhelper discussed, Rocky Gap High combines with Bland High for athletics, so it is then okay to say Bland County when they participate as a merged team.

Bath, Floyd, Grayson, Highland, Carroll, Pulaski, Craig, and Patrick all have "County" in their official title since there are not any other VHSL participating high schools in their county.

Who cares if they have County in the name or not? Let it be!

You know, since Covington is a city, I'm surprised that it isn't Alleghany County... hadn't thought about that before.

Actually, their IS an exception... Grayson County. They have another school that's not in a city AND is a VHSL member.

For Grayson Co, I guess you are talking about either Mt. Rogers or Oak Hill.

Mt. Rogers I think only had a JV girls basketball team at one time, but not sure if they still do.

Oak Hill does play many Hogo schools in varsity baseball and volleyball and their "red" team also plays against teams from SWVA in basketball. Of course everyone knows how the "gold" team travels the country for Basketball to compete with some of the best teams in the nation. Since Oak Hill is a private Academy, that shouldn't have any connection to the public HS in Grayson.

Edited by footballfan08

You know, since Covington is a city, I'm surprised that it isn't Alleghany County... hadn't thought about that before.

Actually, their IS an exception... Grayson County. They have another school that's not in a city AND is a VHSL member.

It used to be called Alleghany County High School until Clifton Forge High School was consolidated into it in the early 80s.