In Memory of Coach Newberry please leave a post

GrundyWinsAll

I would like to start a thread about a great man. He always had a good word for the kids. I think it would be a great testament if people would leave a memorable experience with Coach Newberry. He was my first bus driver, always called me his Co-pilot. But here are a few things I learned from Coach Newberry. In memory of Coach Newberry...... I learned a lot from Coach Newberry. I learned that a "broke dick dog" was useless, cigarettes can be chewed, do not call an all american an old man or he may knock you out with a forearm, and if a D-lineman blocks a pass you should have been punching him in the stomach so he doesn't raise his arms again. I'll miss my Bus Driver. I won't be anyone elses Co-Pilot. He was a very good man!

I loved Coach Newberry...an honest guy with a heart of gold (well blue and gold)...I think he coined the word "Peckerhead"...lol...and yes it's one word.

he also taught me that "anything" can be "as useless as tits on a boar hog"...

and whatever you do, if you don't give 110% on every play, you can take your uniform off on the spot and get off the field and go to Dotson's and get Doris a Hot Fudge Sunday...because that's all you are good for...lol.

Then there was "Let me tell you a WAR story..." and that was usually followed by a tale about going up against two all state linemen...not one, two.

...this could go on and on...one of the most original people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting in my life...he will be greatly missed.

He always started summer school by telling the kids who were there because they all had failed during the year "You are here today, because you are not all here". He also had the knack of "healing" or he had the kids to believe he did. Many times when someone came up and said they hurt their leg, he would convince them by walking backwards around the track for a time they would be alright. He taught at the elementary level the last 25 years and has hugged every kid and mother that has come through there. They even bought into the healing, and would stop by in later years to see if he could do anything for for the pain they were having. The "Newberryisms" as they have come to be known as, are still used every day. The stories he would spin were a clinic in themselves. Coach you will be missed, but you will live with us each day.

I loved Coach Newberry...an honest guy with a heart of gold (well blue and gold)...I think he coined the word "Peckerhead"...lol...and yes it's one word.

he also taught me that "anything" can be "as useless as tits on a boar hog"...

and whatever you do, if you don't give 110% on every play, you can take your uniform off on the spot and get off the field and go to Dotson's and get Doris a Hot Fudge Sunday...because that's all you are good for...lol.

Then there was "Let me tell you a WAR story..." and that was usually followed by a tale about going up against two all state linemen...not one, two.

...this could go on and on...one of the most original people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting in my life...he will be greatly missed.

I showed my wife this last night and she began to laugh about the "peckerhead" comment. The story goes that they were in P.E. class playing "duck,duck,goose" and a group of older boys were going in and out making noise and comments, Coach looks at them and says, we are not playing "duck,duck,peckerhead" over here so get out. Coach Newberry was my wife's bus driver also and she had the pleasure of being the "co-pilot" every now and then. I played against his teams and he was always nice and encouraging after the game. I know he will be truly missed by many in this county and outside the county.

• 2 weeks later...