2016 Olympics

vthokies4life

Going to be in Rio de Janiero, not Chicago. I mean, if I were an athlete, I'd want to spend a couple weeks in Rio rather than Chicago.

And why was there so much hype for this selection? Is there usually this much? I don't guess I've ever seen it when America has a chance to get an Olympic bid. Was there this much hype when Atlanta got its bid?

Well, when you have the American president flying on Air Force one to present to the committee in Europe a plea for Chicago at a cost of $2M or more, it tends to get a little more attention in this country.

What was it this president was saying about cutting costs in this recession????

And Obama's trip was all for naught. Given some of the negative press in Chicago, it might've hurt more than it helped. Wasted $2M.

He should have to pay for that trip out of his own pocket...not MY pocket...

And why was there so much hype for this selection? Is there usually this much? I don't guess I've ever seen it when America has a chance to get an Olympic bid. Was there this much hype when Atlanta got its bid?

The only hype that I can remember was mainly via the ATL media. During that time the economy was booming, Coca-Cola, UPS and Home Depot.... based in ATL .....were really pushing and putting money toward ATL being awarded the games.

I can remember being in my office early around 7ish when the announcement was made and our office erupted.

I went to several of the events.....and I want to say that's the best I've ever seen the city and surrounding areas operate.

Everyone knows of the horrendous traffic in ATL.......but alot of ppl, if possible, worked from home, carpooled....it was fantastic. Anyone going to the events took mass transits....buses were brought in for the events to shuttle ppl. The best IMO the city has ever operated w/pleasant traffic and very little crime.....yes, crime was virtually non-existent.....for some reason the moral side overwhelmed the immoral side of criminals.

Of course, after the Olympics it was back to their usual criminal activities.....and traffic was back to its gnarly mess.

(I did forget about Eric Rudolph and his crime.....but otherwise it was way down.)

Edited by trublue