Blue Ridge Junior Golf Tour paying dividends...

GMan

Lots of BRJGT golfers at the top of the standings in the VA Class A State Golf tournament.

Giles won and Galax finished second. A majority of the kids on both of those teams have played the BRJGT since they were very young. Zeke Shaffer of Radford, who won the individual title, has been a member of the BRJGT for the last several years as well. Not only that but his father has also been the Title Sponsor of our tournament at the River Course of Virginia Tech for several years too. Its also good to see Gate City's team make the State Tournament as well...almost every one of their players participated on the BRJGT for the first time this past summer!

Congratulations to all of you!!! I've marked the BRJGT members with an * in the standings below...

http://www.galaxgazette.com/cgi-bin/c2.cgi?055+article+Sports+20091022093447055055007

Tide’s bid to repeat in Group A golf falls short

Galax cut 10 strokes off of its first-day score but it wasn’t enough to overcome Giles.

By Shaun Hoy

MIDLOTHIAN -- Galax put forth great effort in trying to defend its 2008 Group A golf championship but fell just short at Independence Golf Club on Tuesday.

The Maroon Tide shot a second-round 313 to put the pressure on Giles, but the Spartans held on for their first team championship since 2002 with a score of 622, followed by Galax (636) in second and Chatham (643) in third.

Radford High School sophomore Zeke Shaffer won the individual championship with a two-day score of 1-under 143, five strokes ahead of James River freshman Korey Watts, who finished in second place.

As for Galax, though the team didn’t come out on top, coach Terry Snow was proud of the effort.

“We did much better today,” he said. “We were just nervous and tense yesterday.

“We could have done better today ... if we had a few putts to go in. We could have done better but we made a big improvement so I’m happy with that.”

Giles shot a 314 on Monday to take a nine-stoke lead into Tuesday.

And while Galax improved upon Monday’s 323, Giles shot a 308 in the second round to claim the title.

“This is a tough golf course, a very tough golf course,” Giles coach W.R. Johnston said. “I was really, really proud of our guys to be able to shoot that here.”

The defending champion Maroon Tide players were disappointed with the way things worked out.

“[before] the first day, everybody kinda thought we already won, so we kinda thought we’d just get here and shoot whatever and still win,” said Galax’s Brock Cox, who finished seventh in the individual standings. “Turned out that wasn’t the case. We had to play our game and we didn’t.”

Galax senior Kyle Schaeffer had to agree.

“We definitely thought that we could win — this morning, leaving yesterday, that’s all we talked about,” he said. “All we had to do is play a little bit better. Giles played better than us.”

Rounding out the top 5 individually, Wes Fletcher of Virginia High took third place after beating Chilhowie’s Conner Hayden in a playoff. Both had compiled a two-round total of 150.

Giles’ Tanner Carbaugh was fifth with a 151 as Region C dominated, finishing 1-2 in the team standings and posting eight of the top nine individual scores. Grayson County’s Tyler Rutherford placed 12th overall and Schaeffer was 15th. Galax’s Matt Downey and John Bryant were 18th and 19th, respectively.

Group A state golf tournament

at Independence Golf Club, Midlothian

Par 72, 6,677 yards

Team scores

Giles 314-308—622, Galax 323-313—636, Chatham 325-318—643, Appomattox 334-318—652, Powell Valley 333-327—660, Gate City 353-344—697, Lancaster 351-352—703, Rappahannock 362-358—720.

Individual results

Zeke Shaffer, Radford73-70—143*

Korey Watts, James River73-75—148

x-Wes Fletcher, Virginia High76-74—150

Conner Hayden, Chilhowie78-72—150*

Tanner Carbaugh, Giles77-74—151*

Scott Obenshain, Glenvar74-79—153

Trevor Myers, Giles79-74—153*

Brock Cox, Galax80-74—154*

Michael Carbaugh, Giles79-78—157*

Jacob Hardy, Chatham80-78—158

Stanley Shelton, Chatham79-79—158

Tyler Rutherford, Grayson Co.82-76—158*

Patrick Mayberry, Appomattox83-76—159

Andrew Arnold, Chatham80-80—160

Kyle Schaeffer, Galax81-79—160*

Caleb Tilley, Giles79-82—161

Tre Mullins, Powell Valley81-80—161

Matt Downey, Galax79-82—161*

John Bryant, Galax83-79—162*

Nathan Ballenberger, Lebanon80-82—162

Robert Crowther, Lancaster80-82—162

Tyler Carrico, Appomattox84-79—163

Derek Allen, Castlewood85-79—164*

Tyler Mullins, Appomattox83-81—164

Eddie Hanks, Galax84-81—165*

Stuart Sheffield, West Point80-85—165

Jake Huff, Powell Valley82-83—165

Luke Humphries, Riverheads82-84—166

Nick Coates, Gate City84-82—166*

Jake Perkins, Appomattox84-82—166

Alex Fry, Bath County82-85—167

Justin Bullis, Essex87-81—168

Daniel Fawbush, Powell Valley82-86—168

Landon Francisco, Rand-Henry86-82—168

Daniel Adams, Randolph-Henry81-87—168

Leighton Bennett, Altavista83-86—169

Eric Moore, Appomattox86-83—169

Ryan Parker, Northumberland87-82—169

Jesse Wells, Chatham88-81—169

Kelly Sumner, Northumberland86-83—169

Dylan Dunn, Rappahannock81-89—170

Colton Hayden, Lancaster89-82—171

Alan Audia, Lee82-90—172

Caleb Dockery, Gate City90-82—172*

Ryan Baughan, Essex93-79—172

Jake Black, Randolph-Henry84-88—172

Zach Dean, Virginia High85-89—174

Todd Galyean, Powell Valley91-83—174

Rachel Nicholson, Chatham86-88—174

Colby Addington, Powell Valley93-81—174

Camden Shelton, Chatham90-84—174

Patrick Franklin, Appomattox87-88—175

Dustin Thompson, Galax88-88—176*

Chad Robertson, Giles92-85—177

Luke Holcomb, Powell Valley88-89—177

Tyler Meredith, Giles90-88—178

Zach Ramey, Clarke County89-89—178

William Johns, Rappahannock92-86—178

Logan Nonnemacker, Lancaster90-95—185

Kenny Dodson, Rappahannock95-90—185

Luke Baker, Gate City95-90—185*

Tensley Clowser, Lancaster92-93—185

Joey Gordon, Rappahannock94-93—187

Austin Palmer, Gate City100-90—190

Dylan Longest, King William98-100—198

Andrea Walker, Rappahannock103-97—200

Megan Mayer, Lancaster99-102—201

Seth Campbell, Twin Springs106-98—204

Skyler Reed, Gate City108-96—204*

Marcus Mondy, Lancaster99-110—209

Clint Lowe, Gate City84-DNP*

Nathan McConnell, Gate CityDNP-95*

John Hoover, Rappahannock107-DNP

Caleb Gallagher, RappahannockDNP-122

x-won third-place playoff

* - denotes members of the BRJGT

G-Man, I played on the BRJGT when I was in high school and I really enjoyed. Got to play at some pretty nice places for nominal fees, especially the Greenbrier, that is really a treat. All the staff and other participants were always really nice and made sure everyone had a great time. I would recommend any junior golfer in the area to play on the BRJGT, or any jr tour for that matter, it is a good experience and the competition will really help and it is fun even if you are not a real low handicap golfer. Various age and skill levels participate. The young kids seem to have a blast with it too.

GMan, I have watched the BRJGT for years. I know of no other youth sports program in the region that gives kids the chance to learn their game, grow and develop as players. If you ever need some help, PM me, I have time in the summers and am looking for positive things to be a part of.

GMan, I have watched the BRJGT for years. I know of no other youth sports program in the region that gives kids the chance to learn their game, grow and develop as players. If you ever need some help, PM me, I have time in the summers and am looking for positive things to be a part of.

I'll remember that next Spring! LOL We're always looking for extra help!

Next year will be the 11th season of the Tour...I'm the only one that has been with it "full time" since the beginning. Others have been with it every year as well but not in as large of a capacity as I have been...most find it takes too much time, which it does, and they choose to lessen their involvement in it as time goes by. I guess for however long Dewayne and I are willing to run it, the BRJGT will be around for the kids...

G-Man, I played on the BRJGT when I was in high school and I really enjoyed. Got to play at some pretty nice places for nominal fees, especially the Greenbrier, that is really a treat. All the staff and other participants were always really nice and made sure everyone had a great time. I would recommend any junior golfer in the area to play on the BRJGT, or any jr tour for that matter, it is a good experience and the competition will really help and it is fun even if you are not a real low handicap golfer. Various age and skill levels participate. The young kids seem to have a blast with it too.

What's your name? PM me...

Yes. I'm the one who does the website, receives the Tour Apps, sends the Tour Packets, receives the tournament entries, takes all of the phone calls from parents with first-timers on the Tour, makes the pairings, updates the website, takes all the cancellations/WDs, prints the scorecards and scoresheets, keeps up with the point standings, updates the website, does all the deposits, sends all the refunds, updates the website, and so on and so on...you get the picture...LOL...

I'm the one who does all the behind the scene grunt work and gets none of the glory (interviews with the newspaper or TV). But that's OK, I don't need any of that...putting my face on TV or in the newspaper may be detrimental to the Tour.

I've been with the tour since we started it back in 2000...back when I actually worked in the golf business.

Dewayne is a good guy! He was my golf coach back at Bluefield College in the late 80s-early 90s. Ironically, I coached the Graham golf team in 2000 when his oldest son was a freshman in high school...kinda completed the circle, if you will. He and I have gotten to the point where we work very well together...he knows his job and I know my job and we both know the other one will take care of what needs to be taken care of.

• 3 weeks later...
Yes. I'm the one who does the website, receives the Tour Apps, sends the Tour Packets, receives the tournament entries, takes all of the phone calls from parents with first-timers on the Tour, makes the pairings, updates the website, takes all the cancellations/WDs, prints the scorecards and scoresheets, keeps up with the point standings, updates the website, does all the deposits, sends all the refunds, updates the website, and so on and so on...you get the picture...LOL...

I'm the one who does all the behind the scene grunt work and gets none of the glory (interviews with the newspaper or TV). But that's OK, I don't need any of that...putting my face on TV or in the newspaper may be detrimental to the Tour.

I've been with the tour since we started it back in 2000...back when I actually worked in the golf business.

Dewayne is a good guy! He was my golf coach back at Bluefield College in the late 80s-early 90s. Ironically, I coached the Graham golf team in 2000 when his oldest son was a freshman in high school...kinda completed the circle, if you will. He and I have gotten to the point where we work very well together...he knows his job and I know my job and we both know the other one will take care of what needs to be taken care of.

dang gman i have been wondering who you were for years and by this i finally know who you are.