Who will Cave Spring play in the State Semi's

Guest lookoutmountain

Anyone who thinks Cave is a bunch better then the Blues need only look back to what happen the last time a Tornado touched-down at Bogle.

True, the Tornado torched a Hidden Valley team that was 8-2 in the regular season. That HV team lost to Salem and Christiansburg in the regular season, but got revenge against C'burg by shutting them out in a playoff game. One of the regular season victories by those Titans was a 10 point win over Blacksburg, a team that several posters on this site insisted was the best team Graham played that year.

Final at Bogle---------- Richlands 44-- Hidden Valley 14

Edited by parsons

Who is the likely team to challenge Cave Spring (possibly, but unlikely Richlands) in the state semi's? Which teams down that way are good again this year? Brookville maybe? It seems like things are lined up for Cave Spring to make a run at the whole thing. The schedule they played will help them tremendously. Afterall, they have 2 losses, yet still beat out Richlands for the one seed who has only 1 loss which gives Cave the home field. I like Cave's chances against the Region 3 team this year.

Yeah, we know they played a tough schedule. I think Richlands or Marion are capable of beating them, but they haven't gotten past Graham yet. Cave Spring has been exploited a couple of times this year. They are very beatable, if the game plan is right. Unfortunately for Graham, I don't think they have the depth to hang with Cave Spring, but stranger things have happened. I recall a 2-7 Graham team that pulled an upset over the number one team in the state (Radford)...and nobody gave them a shot in that one either....it could happen.

True, the Tornado torched a Hidden Valley team that was 8-2 in the regular season. That HV team lost to Salem and Christiansburg in the regular season, but got revenge against C'burg by shutting them out in a playoff game. One of the regular season victories by those Titans was a 10 point win over Blacksburg, a team that several posters on this site insisted was the best team Graham played that year.

Final at Bogle---------- Richlands 44-- Hidden Valley 14

Geez, I get dramatic when I've had a few..

Guest lookoutmountain

futbolking, that Graham team in 1988 had lost several, several nailbitingly close games up to that point, and ......was led by a host of juniors that would win the state title 12 months later. This Graham team doesn't have a host of juniors like the talent on that Graham of 88 team. Also, Radford ranked number two in the state AP Poll at the time behind..#1 Tabb

Guest lookoutmountain

Richlands can certainly beat Cave Spring. It's not as if it's another Hoosiers type of upset. Richlands is very good as is Cave Spring. I feel the QB for Richlands is a super talent, but he's the kind of QB that will win you many games, yet can hurt you in some games because....he's lackluster at holding on to the football. In my opinion (only one guy's opinion) Richlands turnover prone history this season (although they have got better) will cost them against Cave Spring who will be sky high, ready to play, and for the first time, advance to the Semifinals of the state playoffs if they win. Those factors coupled with lots of seniors on Cave Spring and few seniors for Richlands will be the difference. Mark it down, you heard it here....Richlands will come out and turn the football over at least 2 times in the first half and that will be the difference in the football game. Cave Spring 31, Richlands 21.

Again, only one guy's opinion. No need for the anger or hate for someone having a different opinion. I respect the people who have the opinion that Richlands will win the game. By the way, I will be rooting for Richlands to win the game, but objectivity is always important and I don't let the team I'm rooting for to win (emotion based thinking) cloud my objective judgement of who I think will win. By the way....I think this....Richlands is the hands down favorite not only to win the Region next year, but the year after also, but....in my opinion, for this given year, they are not going to the state seminfinals again.

Richlands can certainly beat Cave Spring. It's not as if it's another Hoosiers type of upset. Richlands is very good as is Cave Spring. I feel the QB for Richlands is a super talent, but he's the kind of QB that will win you many games, yet can hurt you in some games because....he's lackluster at holding on to the football. In my opinion (only one guy's opinion) Richlands turnover prone history this season (although they have got better) will cost them against Cave Spring who will be sky high, ready to play, and for the first time, advance to the Semifinals of the state playoffs if they win. Those factors coupled with lots of seniors on Cave Spring and few seniors for Richlands will be the difference. Mark it down, you heard it here....Richlands will come out and turn the football over at least 2 times in the first half and that will be the difference in the football game. Cave Spring 31, Richlands 21.

Again, only one guy's opinion. No need for the anger or hate for someone having a different opinion. I respect the people who have the opinion that Richlands will win the game. By the way, I will be rooting for Richlands to win the game, but objectivity is always important and I don't let the team I'm rooting for to win (emotion based thinking) cloud my objective judgement of who I think will win. By the way....I think this....Richlands is the hands down favorite not only to win the Region next year, but the year after also, but....in my opinion, for this given year, they are not going to the state seminfinals again.

Not gonna argue with any of that you have a right to your opinion and the fact you are pulling for the blues to pull the upset is even better. It is no hidden secret the Blues have a VERY tall task ahead of them to get by marion and get to cave spring. Even after that it get's no easier for the blues as whoever is in the state semis if they get there the blues will be atleast 3-4 TD underdogs in that game. That being said i still have hope they can pull it off this team has shown flashes of greatness this season and that is what has won us the ball games. After the gate city game they could have packed it in and had a average season at best because at that point the hype of a undefeated season had been dashed in 1 game for them to bounce back the they have just goes to show you what kind of players we have on this team. All of the SWD can say that the one thing you will never see out of a SWD team is for them to quit they do not do it they are gonna fight you until the very end that is what makes us what we are. We are not the fastest district and we may not have the most pure talent but BY GOD WE DO NOT QUIT.

Guess what... ratings points has NOTHING to do with SoS.

Try this... who played a tougher schedule??

Me - Ervinton, St. Paul, Pound, Twin Valley, Honaker, Haysi,

Phelps (KY), East Ridge (KY), Montcalm (WV) & Burch (WV) (48 wins)

You - Salem, Cave Spring, Hidden Valley, B'b, C'b, Radford, Northside, Amherst, Fleming & PH-R (70 wins)

I'll give you a couple of days to figure it out.

--------

Let's try this ...

1 loss to a #1 seed, by 3 points

1 win over a #2 seed, by 14 points

only loss was to a team that had a higher ratings avg.

vs.

1 loss to a #1 seed, by 42 points

1 loss to a #2 seed, by 7 points

1 win over a #2 seed, by 3 points

lost to a team with a LOWER ratings avg.

So, we have a closer loss vs. a #1 seed, a bigger win over a #2 seed, no losses to a #2 seed, and no losses to a team that finished lower in the ratings.

Which team played a tougher schedule?

--------

(And I hate saying this, but) The VHSL PROVED this week that the team with the highest ratings average isn't necessarily the top team in the Region.

Like mrb said... "I love this, Playoff time baby"

Guess what... ratings points has NOTHING to do with SoS.

Try this... who played a tougher schedule??

Me - Ervinton, St. Paul, Pound, Twin Valley, Honaker, Haysi,

Phelps (KY), East Ridge (KY), Montcalm (WV) & Burch (WV) (48 wins)

You - Salem, Cave Spring, Hidden Valley, B'b, C'b, Radford, Northside, Amherst, Fleming & PH-R (70 wins)

I'll give you a couple of days to figure it out.

--------

Let's try this ...

1 loss to a #1 seed, by 3 points

1 win over a #2 seed, by 14 points

only loss was to a team that had a higher ratings avg.

vs.

1 loss to a #1 seed, by 42 points

1 loss to a #2 seed, by 7 points

1 win over a #2 seed, by 3 points

lost to a team with a LOWER ratings avg.

So, we have a closer loss vs. a #1 seed, a bigger win over a #2 seed, no losses to a #2 seed, and no losses to a team that finished lower in the ratings.

Which team played a tougher schedule?

--------

(And I hate saying this, but) The VHSL PROVED this week that the team with the highest ratings average isn't necessarily the top team in the Region.

Like mrb said... "I love this, Playoff time baby"

Seems like you're comparing hurley to pulaski and I would guess their power rating. Also I would say region d and c seeded teams don't compare to the top 3 in d4 region 4. Hey you can argue a lot of things I never said strength of schedule determined power points only that it creates a gray area. If the teams you play schedule cupcakes it inflates your rating with their easy wins see grundy and abingdon. Maybe pulaski should have scheduled some cupcakes. Then they would make the playoffs like some other aa schools. You make some excellent points and it just goes to show the flaws in the system.

Two weeks ago Magna Vista defeated Bassett by just 1 td. Tonight they gave the Salem Spartans all they could handle. This year the River Ridge is not the home of either the state's best divison 3 team or best division 4 team.

Edited by parsons