Salute To Holston

Unchained

Kids flat out played their butts off. What a job Jason Matlock is doing in Damascus. Respect isn't something that is given-it's something that is earned. Norton missed so many opportunities,but I have to give mad respect to that Holston defense. Those guys were flat out stout today,and they sure made a believer out of me. Raiders: defense wins championships,and today the Raider defense (my co-worker's son Riley Maggard was huge with a pick,as well as blocking the FG to win it) saved the day. Folks can rag on the LPD all they want,but the bottom line is they have a team playing for the state title in yet another year. No other distric around here can claim that (although I really hope the CMD joins us tomorrow with a Lebanon win-will say alot about these 2 districs). Congrats Raiders-bring the bling home next week. Congrats Holston,and keep your heads up. You have nothing at all to be ashamed of today. Tough ballgame between two very tough teams.

yea good game burton...we both was just shooting ourselves in the feet neither one of us could do anything on offense...our offense started clicking there at the end but we didnt have time...good luck next week we will be cheering for ya all the way!!

well,this was the lowest scoring semi game in va to date..i really feel burton ran into a very tough defense..miles was stopped and holston had a great game plan up till about 5 mins in the 4th..i really dont understand some of the play calls..still scratching my head.but those boys played there butts off..its been fun and i hate to see it end..maybe now we can get sum more seating and be ready to host a semi when the time comes

Seeing how this game went, I have to share a story with you about Holston Football.

Back in the mid to late 90's I applied for the head football position at Holston High School, during the interview, there were about 12 folks on the committee, a guy asked the following question.

"What would be your ultimate goal as head football coach here at Holston?"

Naturally, I responded "to win a state championship!"

I'll never forget the exchange that took place after my answer.

The gentleman said (I am paraphrasing here) "Well, that's not gonna happen here, we are too small, the best you could hope for is 5-5 or 6-4, but winning state isn't something that can happen here."

My response to his comments were "that sir is the problem, with an attitude like that, Holston football will never be successful."

Long story short, I didn't get the job and probably made an enemy.

Now, take a look! Whether you like 'em or not, what the coaching staff and kids have done over there is a tribute to hard work, a positive attitude and a commitment to success. Holston football has come a long way, and I am sure that there is at least one guy over there, who is eating some crow. No, they haven't made it there yet and they might never, but it just goes to show you what a positive attitude, work ethic and the right combination of coaches and kids can accomplish.

Congrats on a great season, congrats on turning things around, and keep on keepin on!

Seeing how this game went, I have to share a story with you about Holston Football.

Back in the mid to late 90's I applied for the head football position at Holston High School, during the interview, there were about 12 folks on the committee, a guy asked the following question.

"What would be your ultimate goal as head football coach here at Holston?"

Naturally, I responded "to win a state championship!"

I'll never forget the exchange that took place after my answer.

The gentleman said (I am paraphrasing here) "Well, that's not gonna happen here, we are too small, the best you could hope for is 5-5 or 6-4, but winning state isn't something that can happen here."

My response to his comments were "that sir is the problem, with an attitude like that, Holston football will never be successful."

Long story short, I didn't get the job and probably made an enemy.

Now, take a look! Whether you like 'em or not, what the coaching staff and kids have done over there is a tribute to hard work, a positive attitude and a commitment to success. Holston football has come a long way, and I am sure that there is at least one guy over there, who is eating some crow. No, they haven't made it there yet and they might never, but it just goes to show you what a positive attitude, work ethic and the right combination of coaches and kids can accomplish.

Congrats on a great season, congrats on turning things around, and keep on keepin on!

You can measure the size of a school,and you can measure speed,talent,size,athletes..etc. What you cannot measure is the human heart and a young man's work ethic. Man oh man,that stuff can sure close the gap can't it ? (ask the folks at Appy who brought it home so many times under Tom Turner with small,scrappy,badly-outnumbered teams). Holston does not have the athletes that Norton has (nor did Kelly),but when you have young men of character who will go above and beyond/walk the extra mile for their coach,then good things will happen. That is what's happening at J.J.Kelly with Coach Salyers,and it's happening at Holston with Coach Matlock.

two great posts..this is why the town and area around damascus is growing..pride and the old way of thinking is begining to leave..i always knew that lil field was special,as a kid i would sit over on the vistor side on sundays and watch my dad and friends play touch football..it was just so special and great memories..when at the games now sum 25 years later i once again am feelin that same feelin..really hard to see them lose like they did yesterday..it was right there,they could smell it..