Tragedy at THS game

the_general

Can anyone confirm the rumor I've heard this morning concerning a player collapsing and dying.

I heard the samething this morning but is was from a guy from Princeton, he wasn't for sure where the kid played at though. So sad! He said something about being a middle school student.

According to a friend, it was a kid from Sandy River Middle School in McDowell County. She said that someone said that he had drank two energy drinks before taking the court. So sad!!

While this is sad if true.

I never understood why people drink energy drinks before the game. Energy drinks speed up your heart rate. Let alone playing a whole basketball game will speed up your heart rate as well. But 2 energy drinks? I just don't understand it

http://www.wvva.com/global/story.asp?s=11859790

Sandy River Middle mourns loss of friend, teammate

Bluefield (WVVA) – A Sandy River Middle School student has died after collapsing during a basketball game Wednesday evening.

According to Jim Spence, Assistant Superintendent of Secondary Education in McDowell County, staff members who were trained in first aid procedures came to the aid of Jordan McLanahan after he collapsed on the basketball court.

McLanahan was transported to Welch Community Hospital. Members of both teams followed the Iaeger teen to the hospital to show support, says Spence.

Spence says family and friends were notified the teen had died at the hospital around 8 p.m. Wednesday night.

Grief counselors were on hand Thursday at Sandy River Middle School to provide support for students, team members, and staff.

WVVA News at 5 and 6 will have a full report on this incident.

From the video on WVVA's website, it says the cause is unknown. He has a twin brother as well. Apparently has been healthy and also played on their football team.

I know from personal experience that the people of the Sandy River community are great people. Very polite, great sportsmanship, and a pleasure to be around. Thoughts and prayers to the family and school.

The energy drink thing is a first I have heard here. I know Princeton had a kid that had something similar happen to him a few years back.