Cassell Coliseum

Guest JJBrickface

Guest JJBrickface

I think I spelled it correctly. I was just thinking how much different that place looks on tv compared to actually being there. In person it looks like kind of a crappy gym but also kind of cool because its different from others. Any talks of VT trying to build a new bball facility in the future?

I don't know if they're trying to or not, but all I know is that place gets LOUD. It sucks because they put all the rich people in the good seats at mid-court (it 'sucks' from a student's perspective) and they all sit down and be quiet for the entire game. So, from the perspective on a tv, it looks like the crowd is totally out of it. I can guarantee you though that the students are rocking.

But it is a weird design, I understand where you're coming from there. There's that approx. 8 foot wall behind both baskets that's really odd if you stop and think about it. But I think it's uniquity gives it a certain charm. It's a great place to watch a basketball game. That's all I'm trying to say.

And yes, you spelled 'Cassell' right.

I sit five rows behind the visiting team bench and love it in the Cassell!! Season ticket holders get the best seats in most stadiums/coliseums at just about every school in the country. They have the money to spend and they want the good seats. Money talks at a lot of schools in the country. Granted the season ticket holders don't get AS LOUD as the students, but they'll get up and cheer a lot. It's also like that almost everywhere you go.

I doubt that VT is looking to replace the Cassell anytime in the next 20 years. It's a great atmosphere to experience in person when that place is rockin'.

I walked into Cameron Indoor Stadium a few years back and I'm amazed they fit cameras into that place!! That place still does seating the old fashioned way since that place opened in the 40's

Guest JJBrickface

I really enjoyed when WVU played at Radford a few years ago, it really did feel like I was at a high school game which was cool because it was so close. I would like to see a game at Cassell, I might do that the next time I work overnight in Blacksburg or Christiansburg.

I think I spelled it correctly. I was just thinking how much different that place looks on tv compared to actually being there. In person it looks like kind of a crappy gym but also kind of cool because its different from others. Any talks of VT trying to build a new bball facility in the future?

Been there once. I'd compare it to Solider Field. It's a D-U-M-P. But it can retain a heck of a lot of sound. And believe me, we had U-Hall at UVA, which was a dump in and of itself.

Any talks of VT trying to build a new bball facility in the future?

What's the point in building a newer, bigger facility when VT can't even fill the 10,000 seats in Cassell for a conference game on a Saturday afternoon???

Guest JJBrickface
What's the point in building a newer, bigger facility when VT can't even fill the 10,000 seats in Cassell for a conference game on a Saturday afternoon???

Well that's part of the point...Virginia Tech is 15-3 and plays in a premiere basketball conference, its time that the fans and VT administration acknowledge that.

Well that's part of the point...Virginia Tech is 15-3 and plays in a premiere basketball conference, its time that the fans and VT administration acknowledge that.

No, you missed the point. VT can not fill Cassell now with only 10,000 seats. No point in wasting money on a 15,000-20,000 seat arena when it would only be half full...

Look at the pictures from yesterdays game...look at all the empty seats...

http://www.hokiesports.com/mbasketball/gallery/

Hate to say it, but the majority of VT football fans are UNC/Duke basketball fans.

Don't shoot the messenger, but that's how it is...

Guest JJBrickface
No, you missed the point. VT can not fill Cassell now with only 10,000 seats. No point in wasting money on a 15,000-20,000 seat arena when it would only be half full...

Look at the pictures from yesterdays game...look at all the empty seats...

http://www.hokiesports.com/mbasketball/gallery/

And that mindset is probably the same mindset that the VT administrators have. Why not upgrade and give the fans something to be excited about?? I would imagine Seth Greenberg is begging for them every year, if not then its going to be the same old song and dance.

Hate to say it, but the majority of VT football fans are UNC/Duke basketball fans.

Don't shoot the messenger, but that's how it is...

Take a quick look at the recorded attendances from each respective athletic website, it's not like attendance in Charlottesville is severely outweighing Blacksburg.

With the exception of UVA's opening home game and their latest game, there MIGHT have been one game throughout the season where they have outnumbered Tech.

http://www.hokiesports.com/mbasketball/schedule/

http://www.virginiasports.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=17800&KEY=&SPID=10616&SPSID=88835

I'm in the middle of writing a paper right now, and just hopped over here for a quick study break, but according to my intuitive calculations (which may or not be correct) VT's attendance, based on their capacity, has been that or around 95%. UVA's sits more around the 2/3 to 3/4 area. If I had more time, I would do the average numerical attendances for each, but I'm in a bit of a crunch for time currently. By going off of the naked eye, both attendances seem to be at or around the 9,500 average. Because JPJ Arena does seat more than Cassell, I do expect UVA's net attendance to rise when the top-tier ACC teams roll into town; which will then result in a higher average at the end of the season. But up until this point where both schools have played fairly easy OOC schedules the attendances have been pretty even.

I'm in the middle of writing a paper right now, and just hopped over here for a quick study break, but according to my intuitive calculations (which may or not be correct) VT's attendance, based on their capacity, has been that or around 95%. UVA's sits more around the 2/3 to 3/4 area.

See, there's the rub. Even though VT is "95%" of their capacity, that number includes all tickets sold. The real issue is the 2,000-2,500 season ticket holders that don't show up for games...especially week night games. If they did actual attendance counts, it would be more like 7,000-7,500 fans...most of which are students...

BTW, look at the link I posted...look at the Miami and BC game pics...look at all the empty seats in the season ticket holders sections...SAD!!!

See, there's the rub. Even though VT is "95%" of their capacity, that number includes all tickets sold. The real issue is the 2,000-2,500 season ticket holders that don't show up for games...especially week night games. If they did actually attendance counts, it would be more like 7,000-7,500 fans...most of which are students...

BTW, look at the link I posted...look at the Miami and BC game pics...look at all the empty seats in the season ticket holders sections...SAD!!!

It's getting better though. The empty seat number is not as bad as it was during the days of the A10 and the Big East. With such a disinterest in the basketball program during those years after coach Foster retired, it's taken a long time for the basketball program and the fan support to rebound.

I know that the VT athletics department has been trying to help fix the problem and get more tickets to people who actually can and want to come to the home games.

I watched the BC game on TV...TONS of empty seats on the bench side of the court and tons of empty seats in the sesaon ticket holder section at the end of the floor where the teams come out...pretty embarrassing for a televised conference game on a weekend afternoon...