Cheerleading a Sport under Title IX

Hacker

UVAObserver and I had this discussion about a year ago. By definition, if it requires training and has a competition... it's a sport. Technically by wiki's definition any type of game is a sport (backgammon, bridge, scrabble etc.). Hunting is regarded as a sport but is not strictly competitive. (At least not between other hunters).. I think the cheerleading we have in SWVA.. at least most of the teams.. don't compete and its not so much a sport as it is a hobby or activity. For the cheerleading teams that actually compete.. well, if curling is in the olympics.. I reckon competitive cheerleading is a VHSL sport...

Edited by deuceswild

UVAObserver and I had this discussion about a year ago. By definition, if it requires training and has a competition... it's a sport. Technically by wiki's definition any type of game is a sport (backgammon, bridge, scrabble etc.). Hunting is regarded as a sport but is not strictly competitive. (At least not between other hunters).. I think the cheerleading we have in SWVA.. at least most of the teams.. don't compete and its not so much a sport as it is a hobby or activity. For the cheerleading teams that actually compete.. well, if curling is in the olympics.. I reckon competitive cheerleading is a VHSL sport...

Hmmm...I must've missed this thread. But I do remember the discussion. ;)

Cheerleading teams in SWVA actually do compete, though. Graham never placed highly when I was in school (a mortal lock for 3rd/4th in district), mainly because it was a social thing, never a competition thing.

Cheerleading teams in SWVA actually do compete, though. Graham never placed highly when I was in school (a mortal lock for 3rd/4th in district), mainly because it was a social thing, never a competition thing.

They haven't been much better in recent years either. They finished last in the district this past year. It still is a social thing.

Yeah I don't know of many other schools that do it competitively. Very few.

Cheerleading as far as competition cheerleading is definitely a sport. Holding people in the air, throwing them, catching them, running constantly, doing flips and other gymnastic moves take just as much skills and athletic ability as any other game classified as a sport. I know a few girls who compete on state and national cheerleading squads who, based on athletic ability/strength/conditioning, can put a lot of guy athletes I know to shame. If you ever get the chance, watch a cheerleading competition on ESPN that features these national squads. It's pretty insane to see what they can do.

Glad to see this young lady doing what she loves!

Carroll County was one of the typically better programs back in my day. Same with Tazewell.