"Bucket list" for sports

trublue

Living in the metro ATL area, I've not taken advantage of seeing the local sports talent perform. I've certainly followed local sports over the years in the media but, decided with the upcoming high school basketball tournaments, I was going to actually see some of the games.

First, (though not high school) the women's SEC tourney was held at the Gwinnett Arena and I decided to see Pat Summitt, the legendary TN coach, and her Vols play.

March 5, walked up and bought a ticket for $17.00 and was in a great atmosphere.....TN vs Ole MS.

Besides seeing Summitt in action, (when she came onto the court the cheers for her were as loud/louder, as for the teams' entrance), I wanted to see Angie Bjorklund play, also, Kelly Cain 6'6", who played locally for St. Pius and led her team to 3 state titles.

Also, Shantell Black, Ole MS, point guard, who played locally for Collins Hill/Gwinnett, and teamed with Maya Moore, CT to win a few state titles for CHHS.

Check off the list.....seeing Lady Vols and Summitt.

Second, Gwinnett Arena hosted the GHSA AAAAA and AAAA, boys and girls BB tourneys too. March 11, I went to see the Norcross girls/Gwinnett and Central Gwinnett boys play in 5A...semi-finals. Tickets were $10.00 and you got to see all the games that day. (A hot dog and bottle of water was $8.50....never again :))

The Norcross girls went on to win the tournament....they were loaded. Not enough adjectives to describe the caliber of players on their team. They all play AAU ball in the off season. Two freshmen starters, DeShields (father, Delino, former MLB player) and Davis,(father, Antonio, former NBA player) both girls 6'2"....with ball handling skills and moves that were way beyond their age level. Jordan, Sr. (father, Brian, former MLB and NFL player) was the PG. In the final game for the title, Norcross beat Redan. Redan was undefeated, the defending champions, and nationally ranked #6 by USA Today.

Following article on DeShields and Davis:

http://www.ajc.com/sports/high-school/norcross-deshields-davis-the-285882.html

Check off the list....seeing Norcross girls play.

This is all I will post at this time....more tourney posts to follow later.....:D

Edited by trublue

As "foretold".....I know many have been waiting with bated breath....:D

Continuing with my tourney posts .....re: games at Gwinnett Arena

March 11 , The semi-final game for the boys AAAAA was between Westlake and Central Gwinnett. (Westlake was in the AAAAA final four last year but lost.) Westlake’s Marcus Thornton 6’7†is considered by many as the #1 player in GA. (Westlake beat Rice, (NY team nationally ranked) to win the Chick-fil-a Classic in Columbia, SC.) He is as advertised. He had a “breakaway†slam dunk that shook the goal…..a great looking player.

Westlake went on to win that game in OT and advanced to play Milton in the finals.

Video of Thornton:….committed to Clemson…..

March 12 , The title game in AAAA, ( I saw the last half) was between Miller Grove (defending champion) and Mays with Miller Grove “owning†the game. (Miller Grove was the runner up in the final of the 2008 Arby’s Classic)

Now, let’s talk controversy…..Milton being in the AAAAA finals….it has certainly been the “hot topic†for area BB fans.

Milton was playing the Norcross boys in the playoffs….Norcross was up by one….Milton went down the court threw up a wayward shot, the horn sounded and Norcross started celebrating the win.

Hold on my friend, not so fast….not the end! !! Ref calls a foul on Norcross with NO TIME on the clock, NO TIME was PUT back on the clock, and Milton hit both foul shots with NO TIME showing on the clock …..winning by ONE point. I wasn’t at the game but saw the video re-play….you decide….. http://www.blip.tv/file/3321677

The final AAAAA boys game was between Milton and Westlake, both teams lost in semi’s last year.

Hold on my friends….not so fast….this game also, had a strange TWIST.

In watching the pre-game warm ups, you knew there were quality players on the floor for both teams.

The game starts and I’m watching ALL the players…..Thornton/Westlake makes the first basket of the game….then I don’t see him on the floor. Strange…..I start looking on the bench, don’t see number 2, where is he??? Then looking behind the bench, I see, he’s limping and trying to walk it off. Strange, when did that happen?

Here’s the TWIST….in the pre-game announcement of each player ….when they run out on the court with their “rituals†….he and a teammate “hip bumped†and he came down on a ball…the damage was done!!

He was NOT able to go back into the game….he spent the rest of the game sitting on the bench…..#1 ranked player in GA, by many….a Senior, devastated because he couldn’t help his teammates….and having to sit and watch in dismay over a TOTALLY avoidable incident.

Westlake lost to Milton by 10.

Cannot take anything away from Milton….they have the “horses†and coach. David Boyd, the coach, has won 5 titles at 4 different schools. Now, here’s the KICKER…..this team has NO Seniors…. repeat…..NO Seniors.

Boyd has stated that for the coming year, “we’ll travel all over the country to play and see where it takes us.†Milton is easily the "heavy on favorite" to win the boys AAAAA title next year.

Here are videos of three of the players….all 3 nationally ranked.

Shannon Scott….Ohio St. commit…..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoDXK0yZdSY

Dai-Jon Parker…..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_azFbrJWGyM

Julian Royal…..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeupkT7IF8M

Check off the list.....seeing a Georgia AAAAA boys BB state final.

As the Bugster would say….“That’s all folks†for now ….will post more tourney results later…. Re: when I traveled to Macon to watch AA finals. :)

What an awesome thread! I seriously meant to start this very thread a few weeks ago, but hadn't gotten around to it...

My Bucket List includes, but isn't limited to:

Final Round, Sunday at the Masters

Game 7 of the MLB World Series (preferably featuring the Braves)

NCAA Basketball Championship (Final Four games might suffice - with my team, of course)

BCS National Championship Game (preferably featuring my team)

Duke @ UNC - Greatest rivalry in sports in, what is my opinion, the greatest college arena.

What an awesome thread! I seriously meant to start this very thread a few weeks ago, but hadn't gotten around to it...

My Bucket List includes, but isn't limited to:

Final Round, Sunday at the Masters

Game 7 of the MLB World Series (preferably featuring the Braves)

NCAA Basketball Championship (Final Four games might suffice - with my team, of course)

BCS National Championship Game (preferably featuring my team)

Duke @ UNC - Greatest rivalry in sports in, what is my opinion, the greatest college arena.

These are the few steps I’ve taken on your “bucket” list….. re: the first item on your list…….however, for me …it was not a Final Sunday for the Masters….(but, did have 3 close relatives that did the Sunday Masters' final….about 2/3 yrs. ago.)

I was at the Masters practice round in 1997.…the year Tiger first won it. We followed other players around but not Tiger. However, I did see Tiger, as we were leaving…..he was on the putting green practicing and we stopped to briefly watch.

To me, the biggest thing about the Masters is just the AWE of being there, more than seeing the “players”. Walking in from the parking lot, you get a feeling of WOW…..I’m at the Masters.!!! (Just want to put this out there…..I’m NOT a golfer.)

The greens are ABSOLUTELY amazing to see. (I’ve been at other PGA events (Bell South Classic) nice, but it doesn’t compare.) Even the Masters’ fairways are mah-ve-lous!! You walk the course, you see Amen Corner, you cross the stone bridge over Rae’s Creek, you see all the azaleas in bloom, the crow’s nest on top of the main clubhouse, and then a must have is a “pimento cheese” sandwich.

Tiger also won the May, 1998 Bell South Classic, (Sugarloaf Country Club, Duluth, GA) post -Masters, his first win in 10 months to end a drought of 16 PGA Tour starts w/o a victory.(I did not attend).

I was at the 1999 BS Classic/Friday, David Duval went on to win, 2 strokes over Stewart Cink, (Sugarloaf is Stewart’s home course).

Also, was at the 2003 BS Classic final and the winner was Ben Crane, winning 4 strokes over Bob Tway. (I had never heard the name Ben Crane until that day.)

I can remember the winds were swirling that day….and when the group of players that Crane was in approached …..okay, you’re all gonna think I’m crazy….but, I’m telling you this happened. I didn’t imagine it….this stands out in my memory so clearly.

The other players hit their shots in the wind…..Crane sets up to hit and the wind just dies. I mean totally stops…as still as can be. Now, that got my attention. As soon as he completes his shot the winds start up again. Wow, what’s this??

Okay…..we follow Crane’s group to the next hole…..same thing happens….honestly. This is Sunday and I’m thinking “divine” intervention (I’m totally being honest when I say this thought came into my mind) ….what else can explain what I’m seeing.

Later ,I’m watching the local news ….and they have an interview with Crane after the match and the reporter ask him why he kept looking at his yardage book….he then quotes a verse Eph. 3:20.

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=2276514

Excerpt:

“Crane wears well in a secular environment because, as McQuitty says, he's not in your face with his beliefs. If you ask, though, he'll tell you where he's coming from. "I want to be the biggest overachiever [ever], for sure," Crane says. "My wife and I talk all the time. Ephesians 3:20 says that by the grace of God, you can do infinitely more than you dare to dream or ask or imagine. That's the verse I carried in my yardage book during BellSouth. Without my relationship with God, I wouldn't be on tour. Through my relationship with the Lord, God gives you a sense of peace, strength and courage to do things greater than we're capable of on our own. That's when we know we're in the will of God, when we are doing things that are greater than us.”"

Was at the May, 2007 Bell South/AT&T Classic final, I heard that Zach Johnson, the April, 2007 Master’s champion, would be in the tourney and wanted to see him play. Followed him…and he came from behind to win in a playoff over Ryudi Imadi.

Gosh….I’m "long-winded" :D I, also, need to post about my trip to the GA 2A BB tourney. Later…..

Edited by trublue