BSC kills two birds with one stone...

GMan

Bluefield State baseball seems to have a problem recruiting local kids...Right now I know they have people on the team from Utah, Texas, California, Maryland, etc...It's just strange to me they don't go for more local talent, especially the kids from Richlands and Tazewell

Wonder how you could be a college coach and run your program if you are coaching high school football as well. Remember this is college coaching, 365 day a year job. How do you have time to coach high school football.

Bluefield State baseball seems to have a problem recruiting local kids...Right now I know they have people on the team from Utah, Texas, California, Maryland, etc...It's just strange to me they don't go for more local talent, especially the kids from Richlands and Tazewell

When I was there Geoff had a lot of guys on the baseball team from Kentucky.

When I was there Geoff had a lot of guys on the baseball team from Kentucky.

Baseball and Basketball are a little bit different. Becuase of the weather the pool of college atheletes in baseball should be slimmer than that for basketball. Not that this is a hot bed of basketball, but our spring sport athletes definitely are behind those from other areas, and in general because of the rules in west virginia, high school athletics are behind in all sports.

Why does the great state of West Virginia operate two schools of higher learning in Mercer County? I can't figure this one out. Combine BSC with CU and have something great for all. CU is having trouble housing all of the students that want to attend, while BSC can hardly afford to keep the lights burning, and as posted earlier has no where to expand. If you could funnel the monies going BSC to CU, they could make a University of Southern West Virginia and maybe move to FCS football and D1 basketball and all the other sports. That would give us sports fans another venue to see some quality play.

Why does the great state of West Virginia operate two schools of higher learning in Mercer County? I can't figure this one out. Combine BSC with CU and have something great for all. CU is having trouble housing all of the students that want to attend, while BSC can hardly afford to keep the lights burning, and as posted earlier has no where to expand. If you could funnel the monies going BSC to CU, they could make a University of Southern West Virginia and maybe move to FCS football and D1 basketball and all the other sports. That would give us sports fans another venue to see some quality play.

Haha, I don't know if it's that easy...

The WV General Assembly has spent the last 6 or 7 years undercutting BSC. They took away all of their remote campus programs in the region and gave them to New River Community College. The main reason they haven't moved to close it completely in my opinion is that it is a historically black college.

Great post! It's not just lack of dorms but lack of any "campus environment". No basketball coach can succeed at BSC!

Loser mentality, plain and simple.

EXACTLY. A local college coach should NEVER have to recruit more than 2 states away.

Never. Ever. Ever. And that might be part of the problem.