Penalty Costs Golfer $600,000

Hacker

It really didn't "cost" him $600,000...he was going to lose the playoff anyway. Even without the two stroke penalty, he would have had a 40 foot par putt which he didn't make for his double bogey. Furyk had only a three-footer left for his par to win the tournament. Also, the difference between 1st and 2nd was "only" about $415,000.

But, that IS how the game is supposed to be played...you are your own ref in golf and must call the penalty on yourself whether its on the first hole, the last hole, or in a playoff to decide a PGA tournament.

His best play would have been to take a penalty stroke, drop, and have about a 20-foot, makable chip for par. At worst he would have made 5 and would have forced Furyk to make the 3-footer for the win.

It really didn't "cost" him $600,000...he was going to lose the playoff anyway. Even without the two stroke penalty, he would have had a 40 foot par putt which he didn't make for his double bogey. Furyk had only a three-footer left for his par to win the tournament.

But, that IS how the game is supposed to be played...you are your own ref in golf and must call the penalty on yourself whether its on the first hole, the last hole, or in a playoff to decide a PGA tournament.

His best play would have been to take a penalty stroke, drop, and have about a 20-foot, makable chip for par. At worst he would have made 5 and would have forced Furyk to make the 3-footer for the win.

Hey GMAN I figure that you know the answer to this: They were talking about this on Mike and Mike in the morning today. Somebody said if he hadnt called the penalty on himself and gotten DQ for it he would have lost all the money. Do you even sign a scorecard after a playoff? Even at that since everything but the playoff was already signed for wouldnt he just have been awarded 2nd?

That person was incorrect.

The tournament was "officially" over as he had signed his scorecard. A sudden-death playoff is a "match play" situation, not stroke play. Had he not called it on himself, and it was noticed later, he would have still finished 2nd and still have taken the 2nd place money.

Who was the guy a few years back that was hitting a shot off a bed of rocks near a green that was DQ for moving one of the rocks with his foot and not reporting it? Someone reported it later and he was DQ for it.

Golfers out there, do you call this on yourself in a casual round with your buddies.

I do, but I am such a bad golfer it makes little difference for me.

Casual round? No, not really. Most of the time, my buddies and I play just to have fun and we're out there playing with easy attitudes. We usually play a mulligan off the 1st tee, we're quick to give "gimmes" on relatively easy putts, and it's not a sin if you roll the ball a few inches to improve your lie in the fairway, rough, etc. Hitting the ball out of bounds, in a hazard, and other scenarios like those are about all we really call. We're out there for the enjoyment of one another's company and, while score matters, it's on the lower end of the list. Although, when money is on the line, when we're playing nicer courses, etc. it's strictly business and the aforementioned practices, plus calling penalties on yourself, are abided by.

Hey GMAN I figure that you know the answer to this: They were talking about this on Mike and Mike in the morning today. Somebody said if he hadnt called the penalty on himself and gotten DQ for it he would have lost all the money. Do you even sign a scorecard after a playoff? Even at that since everything but the playoff was already signed for wouldnt he just have been awarded 2nd?

GMAN is right, he was atleast gonna get 2nd place no matter what happened during the playoff, but if you were listening to the rules official during the call they were about to not give him a penalty, which would have been a horrible call you shouldnt have to questioin that call. The rules official should have known that without asking anyone. btw GMAN its not match play its still stroke play its just sudden death stroke play.

GMAN is right, he was atleast gonna get 2nd place no matter what happened during the playoff, but if you were listening to the rules official during the call they were about to not give him a penalty, which would have been a horrible call you shouldnt have to questioin that call. The rules official should have known that without asking anyone. btw GMAN its not match play its still stroke play its just sudden death stroke play.

With two players...sudden death stroke play = match play...