Wolf Hills Brewery in Abingdon

Any of you guys hit this place yet? I just found it and gotta say, I like it...a lot...lol.

It's right off of Main St. near the Southern States store...just past it on the left if you are coming from Exit 14 towards town...there is a building with 3 or 4 stores in it and they are in the main back...kinda small place and easy to miss.

They are in there from 5 to 8pm on Thursdays and you can get a "Growler" which is a half gallon of beer basically in an huge bottle that has a locking top to keep it fresh for $25 and refills are $10...not bad really considering (1) the growler is just bad ass and (2) the beer is great!

They will let you sample it on site to see what you want...they always have at least 4 things to choose from and it's a wide range...should be something for everyone.

I got the Hefeweisen and it's awesome.

Just go there and try it...and thank me later for telling you about it....lol.

Here is the info from the website:

http://www.wolfhillsbrewing.com/index.html

475 Palmer Street

Abingdon, VA 24210

They are on facebook...just type in Wolf Hills in the search and you will find it.

The Brewery is a 1 barrel (31 US gallon) system producing about 6 barrels (186 gallons, or 12 standard kegs, or almost 1000 twleve-ounce beers) each week. We mill our own American grown barley and infuse fresh hops to provide a product that is more flavorful and aromatic than many beers that have been shipped and stored before reaching your glass. Our brewery, like most, consists of several phases of the brewing process and is all accomplished in our small Abingdon locale. We begin by crushing the barley to allow more contact with water in the mash. The mash involves the infusion of hot water to the crushed barley and facilitates the activation of natural barley enzymes that will convert the barley starches to different forms of sugar. These sugars along with the natural products in the barley are steeped form the grains during lautering and the ‘sugar water’ is collected in the boil kettle for boiling. During the boil the beer, called wort at this point, is sterilized and combined with hops and other natural ingredients to produce the raw ingredients for fermentation. After boiling the wort is quickly cooled to 65°F and oxygenated to provide the perfect environment for brewing yeast. Yeast propagated in our lab are ‘pitched’ into the cooled oxygenated wort and begin to reproduce and ‘eat’ the barley sugars. Fermentation results in the evolution of carbon dioxide gas which is vented out of the fermenter and, of course, alcohol. Fermentation requires about ten days and the beer (yes, now it’s officially beer) is then transferred to a secondary fermenter for dry hopping, fruit additions, and/or carbonation and conditioning in a 5 gallon keg. Each fermenter yields up to 3 US barrels (bbl) of finished beer and represents and individual batch of hand crafted ale. We move, or rack, the beer into kegs for local restaurants or directly to you from our growler filling station. We do not filter or pasteurizeour beer and the result is an extremely fresh natural product that we hope you enjoy.

Any of you guys hit this place yet? I just found it and gotta say, I like it...a lot...lol.

It's right off of Main St. near the Southern States store...just past it on the left if you are coming from Exit 14 towards town...there is a building with 3 or 4 stores in it and they are in the main back...kinda small place and easy to miss.

They are in there from 5 to 8pm on Thursdays and you can get a "Growler" which is a half gallon of beer basically in an huge bottle that has a locking top to keep it fresh for $25 and refills are $10...not bad really considering (1) the growler is just bad ass and (2) the beer is great!

They will let you sample it on site to see what you want...they always have at least 4 things to choose from and it's a wide range...should be something for everyone.

I got the Hefeweisen and it's awesome.

Just go there and try it...and thank me later for telling you about it....lol.

Here is the info from the website:

http://www.wolfhillsbrewing.com/index.html

475 Palmer Street

Abingdon, VA 24210

They are on facebook...just type in Wolf Hills in the search and you will find it.

The Brewery is a 1 barrel (31 US gallon) system producing about 6 barrels (186 gallons, or 12 standard kegs, or almost 1000 twleve-ounce beers) each week. We mill our own American grown barley and infuse fresh hops to provide a product that is more flavorful and aromatic than many beers that have been shipped and stored before reaching your glass. Our brewery, like most, consists of several phases of the brewing process and is all accomplished in our small Abingdon locale. We begin by crushing the barley to allow more contact with water in the mash. The mash involves the infusion of hot water to the crushed barley and facilitates the activation of natural barley enzymes that will convert the barley starches to different forms of sugar. These sugars along with the natural products in the barley are steeped form the grains during lautering and the ‘sugar water’ is collected in the boil kettle for boiling. During the boil the beer, called wort at this point, is sterilized and combined with hops and other natural ingredients to produce the raw ingredients for fermentation. After boiling the wort is quickly cooled to 65°F and oxygenated to provide the perfect environment for brewing yeast. Yeast propagated in our lab are ‘pitched’ into the cooled oxygenated wort and begin to reproduce and ‘eat’ the barley sugars. Fermentation results in the evolution of carbon dioxide gas which is vented out of the fermenter and, of course, alcohol. Fermentation requires about ten days and the beer (yes, now it’s officially beer) is then transferred to a secondary fermenter for dry hopping, fruit additions, and/or carbonation and conditioning in a 5 gallon keg. Each fermenter yields up to 3 US barrels (bbl) of finished beer and represents and individual batch of hand crafted ale. We move, or rack, the beer into kegs for local restaurants or directly to you from our growler filling station. We do not filter or pasteurizeour beer and the result is an extremely fresh natural product that we hope you enjoy.

WOO HOO!!! That is great to hear. Are there really any other microbrews in the swva area? I know of Blacksburger, but that's a pretty small market. I'm a huge supporter of crafting beer, and seeing them come around is great to see. Support the local markets!!!

this is the only one i've heard of that is in the area...it's a small place...probably not much bigger than a room in your house might be lol...good beer though!

this is the only one i've heard of that is in the area...it's a small place...probably not much bigger than a room in your house might be lol...good beer though!

That's great to hear!! I wish I was down there to support these guys. I hope the word gets out about them!!

Aren't they moving to a bigger place across from Willow Jacks restaurant next month?

they have been trying to move over by the train station area near the creeper trail around that bike shop for a while...the guy told me Thursday that they were going to try to move there soon.