Soccer...USA 2 Turkey 1

GMan

I think it is fair to say that Slovenia and Algeria are no better than Turkey. We fell behind early, poor defensive mistake, but hey, we won the game. We aren't saying Spain's world cup is doomed after they needed an injury time winner against the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. What I learned from this game is that our midfield is pretty strong. Our defense will be lacking hard, especially if Gooch isn't 100%. Howard is world class in the goal. Donovan is a play maker. And little Torres is a star in the making. He made a strong push for a starting job.

Here is what I would want against England:

4-2-2

GK: Howard

RB: Cherundelo

CB: Onyewu (if fit)

CB: Demerit

LB: Bocanegra

RM: Dempsey

CM: Bradley

CM: Torres

LM: Donovan

ST: Altidore

ST: Findley

Turkey has several world class players. Tuncay, Altintop, and Arda Turan could play for most teams. I doubt Slovenia or Algeria are on Turkey's level. They didn't qualify for the World Cup but qualifying in Europe is quite a bit more difficult than in CONCACAF. England didn't qualify for Euro 2008 and they are one of the consistent best teams in the world.

I thought it was a good result but in no way will it be indicative of the World Cup. Like vivafutbol said, Spain needed injury time to beat Saudi Arabia and England needed 2 own goals to beat Japan 2-1.

Come from behind win...not that impressive...very inconsistent...World Cup = DOOMED...

Ugh. I hope you're wrong. I just can't say for certain that you are wrong though. And that's frustrating. Stupid loyalty to a team. Why can't I just be an objective watcher of every sport? It would make life much simpler...

Come from behind win...not that impressive...very inconsistent...World Cup = DOOMED...

It doesn't matter..the world hates us and we will get cheated anyway