Wimbledon

swva_fan

The longest match tennis has ever seen between American John Isner and France’s Nicolas Mahut was halted at 59-59 in the fifth set after an astonishing ten hours when bad light halted play on Wednesday.

The previous record of six hours 33 minutes was set when Fabrice Santoro beat Arnaud Clement at the French Open in 2004.

After the US game I turned it on. Watched it from like 27-27 on. There is no doubt I will be watching tomorrow. I truly never watch men's tennis because to me it is all about power and never as exciting as the girls game (and of course the hotties), but this actually kept me away from the World Cup.

The longest match tennis has ever seen between American John Isner and France’s Nicolas Mahut was halted at 59-59 in the fifth set after an astonishing ten hours when bad light halted play on Wednesday.

The previous record of six hours 33 minutes was set when Fabrice Santoro beat Arnaud Clement at the French Open in 2004.

This is insane. Absolutely insane. They've played the equivalent of 2 full matches.

Combine (1) advances in equipment with (2) stupid tiebreak rules, and you get a marathon like this.

Don't get me wrong, I'm captivated. But I don't know if it's good for the game.

To me, the later games were not tennis. It was serve it ace, serve it return point, serve it ace...ect.

Isner was exhausted...about to fall on his face. Mahut looked almost fresh, definitely in better shape. A lot of that had to do with the contrast in size. Isner is very tall and rangy, with a lot more body to move around (I believe I heard one of the commentators say he was 6’ 7). Mahut is more compact. I was surprised Mahut was the one calling for a stoppage, and Isner looked like he was disappointed. Hopefully today both guys will take a few more chances and someone will end this, because around the 30th point yesterday I was getting very bored with it all. I am looking forward to seeing how this ends, but I hope it ends quickly today.