Jamboree in Bristol on Aug. 20th

Jason

The Powell Valley Vikings participated in the Virginia High hosted jamboree last season and it was a very well organized event. It wouldn't surprise me if the Vikes do plan to return.

A good friend & long time Viking fan predicts that PV's consecutive VHSL playoff appearance streak will lapse in 2010. As usual, Powell Valley has a lot of enthusiastic and talented boys out for football - but the team has struggled the past two seasons and they face a very ambitious non-conference schedule.

The Powell Valley Vikings participated in the Virginia High hosted jamboree last season and it was a very well organized event. It wouldn't surprise me if the Vikes do plan to return.

A good friend & long time Viking fan predicts that PV's consecutive VHSL playoff appearance streak will lapse in 2010. As usual, Powell Valley has a lot of enthusiastic and talented boys out for football - but the team has struggled the past two seasons and they face a very ambitious non-conference schedule.

I think PV will surprise a lot of their very own fans.

Oh and yes that was a very good Jamboree last year. GC, Chilhowie, PV, Abingdon, and VHS were there. VHS has a great venue to host those Jamborees. There is some video of last years matchups on youtube.

Approximately 50 varsity players at yesterday's first day of practice for the Vikings - off to a good start. I think PV will be able to get some LPD wins but non-conference victories may be few and far between.

It looks like the Vikes will have a solid O-line with a couple of big tackles plus depth & experience. Hopefully, for us in the Gap, this will give the backfield time to develop. Initial indicatons are that the Viking's will continue to throw the ball & try to stretch opponent defenses. Except for Brad Robbins' senior year, this approach has only worked well against the smaller schools on the Powell Valley schedule. Unfortunately, this year's schedule is loaded with larger schools including Richlands and Harlan County, Ky. So I suspect most local sports fans are predicting 3 or 4 wins for Phil Robbins' last season.

Anyone have the details on this as to when it starts or a schedule? I'm planning on going unless there is something going on in Grundy land on the 20th.

I think that's the weekend of the Race as well...so Bristol should be jumpin' as usual.

Anyone have the details on this as to when it starts or a schedule? I'm planning on going unless there is something going on in Grundy land on the 20th.

I think that's the weekend of the Race as well...so Bristol should be jumpin' as usual.

I am trying to find out some info on it. They usually start that Jamboree around 5 oclock. Will have to get my wife to leave work early that day so I can get there. As soon as I can find out everything I will post it.

I don't think Chilhowie is in it this year because we got our butts handed to us last year. We limped out of that thing. Great competition down there, I wish we would routinely schedule a few of the teams down there each year to toughen us up... It's a shame we don't, we always have decent talent and good numbers. Good luck down in Bristol.

Saw this posted elsewhere. Hopefully it's right and it helps:

VHS vs. GW 5:00 PM

GC vs. Graham 6:15 PM

PV vs. Graham 7:30 PM

GC vs. GW 8:30 PM

VHS vs. PV 9:45 PM

Admission price is $6.00

Saw this posted elsewhere. Hopefully it's right and it helps:

VHS vs. GW 5:00 PM

GC vs. Graham 6:15 PM

PV vs. Graham 7:30 PM

GC vs. GW 8:30 PM