A New Era at UVA

Deleted Account

For those of you who didn't watch the game, you saw a new UVA team tonight. One that's hungry, and one that fights until the very last whistle. Holding the USC offense to 17 points was something I never envisioned. We just don't have the horses right now to beat solid teams consistently, but if London can make inroads in the Tidewater, that'll change.

Regardless, I'm proud of them. We lost tonight, but I'm so, so proud of my team. Things are looking up!

For those of you who didn't watch the game, you saw a new UVA team tonight. One that's hungry, and one that fights until the very last whistle. Holding the USC offense to 17 points was something I never envisioned. We just don't have the horses right now to beat solid teams consistently, but if London can make inroads in the Tidewater, that'll change.

Regardless, I'm proud of them. We lost tonight, but I'm so, so proud of my team. Things are looking up!

Mike London is a good coach and if left alone to do his job, will make for fun times in C'ville.

looked very good tonight if you put points on the board on the int inside the 10 and make one of those two fg you win the game. Still alot of positives to take away from this game.

The INT hurt, and having our honorable mention all-ACC kicker from last year shank a 34-yard FG grates at you, especially knowing in hindsight of the TD pass with 4 seconds to go. The biggest turn in the game was that incorrect ruling of the cut block on the fake punt. The refs even admitted it was an incorrect ruling, and it wiped away a 35-yard gain, leading to the 1st USC touchdown.

So many ifs and buts, but things are looking up. Unlike many of Groh's losses, I can live with this one, considering how hard we played and the number of 4*/5* talent on the opposing sideline.

Good showing by the 'Hoos...if they keep this up and VT doesn't make some major changes, UVA will beat VT by 30...

You guys will get it straightened out. You always do. I can see something like the 2008 game happening, where UVA just runs out of steam and VT ekes out a 3-point or 7-point win. I think you guys will still win 8-9 games, even starting 0-2.

Very thrilled to see the Cavs competing again. I remember the beatdown USC put on 'em in '08 @ home. Just seems that London is utilizing the talent 200% better than Groh did. Plus, London seems interested in recruiting (last time I checked, best looking/rated class thus far in like 5-6 years). Groh seemingly conceded Virginia's hotbed to Beamer and his philosophies seem outdated (3-4 with undersized DL and poor blitz schemes; the old Redskins slow-pulling ground game with minimal passing...ugh!).

Of course, to Groh's credit, all the assistants that coached his better teams were plucked away and he never filled the jobs with the same quality level (his son to Off. Coordinator if I remember correctly?).

Remember the team Thomas Jones was on ,they beat mighty Florida St. that year. Who was their QB then?

Mike Groh, Al's son.

Big difference between being a fairly good college QB and being a fairly good offensive coordinator. From '01 to '05 he coached WRs, then got the QBs added to him before taking over Offensive Coordinator in '06. They were decent all those years, a 4-5 loss team except for 2001 when they lost 7 games.

2002 - 9-5, 5 games where they scored less than 20 pts

2003 - 8-5, 3 games under 20

2004 - 8-4, 3 games under 20

2005 - 7-5, 4 games under 20

It then went downhill after Mike became OC.

2006 - 5-7, 8 games under 20

2007 - 9-4, 4 games under 20

2008 - 5-7, 9 games under 20

2009 - 3-9, 8 games under 20

Without analyzing defensive stats, one can assume that Mike Groh's success as a WR and QB coach was done primarily with players he didn't recruit, and that he, as the offensive coordinator, either:

1) did not recruit very well during his tenure or

2) did not have a offensive scheme or gameplan in place to make up for lackluster recruiting.

I take nothing away from him for his accomplishments on the field. I was sitting in front of the end zone where Warwick Dunn was stuffed by Anthony Poindexter 3 inches from scoring the winning touchdown that night in 1995. I love the Cavs as much as anybody. However, Groh did not have the track record to assume the responsibilties he did. May he fare better as Louisville's QB coach.

Mike Groh, Al's son.

Big difference between being a fairly good college QB and being a fairly good offensive coordinator. From '01 to '05 he coached WRs, then got the QBs added to him before taking over Offensive Coordinator in '06. They were decent all those years, a 4-5 loss team except for 2001 when they lost 7 games.

2002 - 9-5, 5 games where they scored less than 20 pts

2003 - 8-5, 3 games under 20

2004 - 8-4, 3 games under 20

2005 - 7-5, 4 games under 20

It then went downhill after Mike became OC.

2006 - 5-7, 8 games under 20

2007 - 9-4, 4 games under 20

2008 - 5-7, 9 games under 20

2009 - 3-9, 8 games under 20

Without analyzing defensive stats, one can assume that Mike Groh's success as a WR and QB coach was done primarily with players he didn't recruit, and that he, as the offensive coordinator, either:

1) did not recruit very well during his tenure or

2) did not have a offensive scheme or gameplan in place to make up for lackluster recruiting.

I take nothing away from him for his accomplishments on the field. I was sitting in front of the end zone where Warwick Dunn was stuffed by Anthony Poindexter 3 inches from scoring the winning touchdown that night in 1995. I love the Cavs as much as anybody. However, Groh did not have the track record to assume the responsibilties he did. May he fare better as Louisville's QB coach.

I agree on everything you just said, especially on the point that a good college player does not a good coordinator make. It seems like too often teams just neglect this and hope for the best. For every Major Applewhite, you get three Mike Grohs. It definitely doesn't diminish what happened on the field in that '95 season, and for that I'll always be grateful, but it does leave a sour aftertaste.

And I greatly appreciate stats, and your stats back up that M. Groh was just overmatched at his position. I'm sure that it was nepotism, and not the fact that M. Groh was the best coach available, that led to him being the OC. I think it was more (2) than (1) that caused his downfall, however: the offensive schemes were awfully vanilla, to the point where I could sit in the stands and tell my friends which direction the play would go and who would get the ball. If I could do that, you know that someone like Bud Foster could. But to be fair, M. Groh never had a truly dependable quarterback. Sewell was serviceable, but the broad sides of local barns were safe...

The defensive stats were fairly constant, perhaps even a tick above what they were before M. Groh was promoted to OC. This amazed me, because during the last 2 seasons, the defense was succeeding in spite of the offense keeping it out there an extra 10 minutes/game.