Grundy @ Marion ...pics.

Lance

Here is the link to all of the pics....100-200 of them in there...some blur to them here and there due to the lights and my lens being limited...working on getting a better one :)

http://s362.photobucket.com/albums/oo63/swvasports/2010%20Football/Week%206%20Grundy%20vs%20Marion/?start=all

First off...my boy Berglowe played one hell of a game tonight...scored 2 TD's ...should be well over 100 yards, and picked off a pass and took it 96 yards for a TD as time ran out at the half...but all of that aside, the thing he did that impressed me the most tonight was run down a kid from behind who was out in the open and had beaten everyone else and had a sure TD...or I thought anyway...and Berglowe stuck with the play, never gave up, showed some really good speed and ran this kid down and then made the tackle at the 17 yard line...the Wave defense held and a few plays later as the Marion PA guy said it was "Marion has 4th down and a 1/4 mile to go"...Grundy ended up getting the ball back. That was a hell of a play...have not seen anything like it since Garon Marcum ran about 120 yards and caught a kid at Paintsville KY from behind on an INT in the end zone and takcled him on the 1 yard line. Just a great football play. I'm sure some other kids will put up big numbers and get player of the week, but for my money - Berglowe earned it this week.

Second...Tanner Marshall is a beast...he was all over the field and making tackles on defense...for a big guy he can move...was in the QB's face all night...played a heck of a good game.

Overall this was our worst game of the year...and I'd say the kids would tell you so if you asked...they made a lot of mental mistakes and turned the ball over a lot, there were delay of games for people not knowing were to be, we had to use timeouts at other times for the same reason...one or two were even on 4th down punts...should never have to burn timeouts on punts. The defense would make a big play, get the ball back, the offense would turn around and cough it right back up. We had a bunch of dropped passes, hit the WR's right in the hands or were on target enough that they should have been caught...That's not how we have played ball all year.

It's ok though...we got the win and the boys did what they had to, it was just sloppy...and maybe it was the bye week hangover...who knows...they were lucky enough thanks to the 96 yard INT TD at the half to not have to really worry much as Marion came on later in the game...again, i never felt like we were in danger of losing the game.

This is a good game for the boys to learn from...we had a chance to deliver the knock out punch a few times tonight and didn't do it...we let them hang around in the 2nd half...can't do that guys...you have to step up and shut the door.

I think Marion played hard and they had a bunch of dropped passes that were on the money also...which reminds me...our DB's are playing the ball short and letting the WR's behind them...trying to get the jump ball INT...which is good if you get it, but we are going to get burned on that at some point, mark my words...you guys back there have to watch that and not let the WR's get separation on you...one mistake and it's a TD...Marion could have had about 3 of 4 of those tonight but didn't catch the ball....luckily.

Defense played great though...and hey 5-0 and a SWD win...can't complain too much...but we need to play better than we did in the 2nd half...it was just a sloppy win.

Ok I will shut up now...I don't usually have this much to say...but, you know how it is...lol.

Congrats to Marion on not giving up and playing hard for 4 quarters...good luck to you guys here on out and maybe we will play again in the playoffs...who knows?

couple of random pics:

IMG_2764.jpg

IMG_2728.jpg

IMG_2729.jpg

IMG_2732.jpg

IMG_2707.jpg

IMG_2692.jpg

IMG_2632.jpg

IMG_2704.jpg

IMG_2701.jpg

..and here is what I'm talking about with Berglowe...kid has a lot of heart...he's 150 pounds and 5ft7 or so...but he puts his head down and runs hard for a little guy...delivers the hit..you can see here he is on top and these other kids went back first to the turf.

IMG_2753.jpg

..and here...big man #60 ends up with the ball on a blocked punt...who's Grundy's last chance to tackle this guy? Little 150 pound Berglowe, goes in and brings this guy down. (and our kicker is in there also)

IMG_2802.jpg

IMG_2815.jpg

IMG_2816.jpg

...anyway...on to next week...a lot of the other Grundy kids played a good game, just didn't get around to mentioning them this week...I apologize for not giving more praise than I did to more of you.

Lance, great post and pics! Hats off to the Grundy guys. Bergalowe seems tp epitomize the true heart of a football player! Just curious Big number 60 for Marion,is that Jacob Wolford?

I don't know? I didn't get a program on the way in...probably should have. He was big though...somehow he ended up with the ball and it looked like that scene in King Kong where they have him tied down and he breaks free lol.

Lance; you gotta get a close-up of # 80 next week w/o his helmet on. That looks like an actual 80's style Joe Dirt mullet. Rock on dude!

i know...power mullet right there...going to have to investigate that.

Here is the write up on it...says Berglowe had 140 and 2 TD's...so that should put him close to 700 yards in 5 games and 9 TD's...he's had a hard go of it here the last week or so off the field...very good article to read by Lloyd even if you are not a Grundy fan.

PREP FOOTBALL: Grundy beats Marion for first road district win in 6 years

By BY LLOYD COMBS | Sports Correspondent

Published: October 01, 2010

MARION, Va. --

Tyler Berglowe knew getting back on the football field, win or lose. would ease the pain of the last two weeks.

Winning, he said, only made it better.

Berglowe scored two touchdwns to lead Grundy past Marion, 21-6, in Southwest District play Friday night.

It was a night of firsts in a year of lasts for Grundy, which picked up its first SWD road win in six years in the first game of its last trek through the district.

The smallest Group AA school in the state, Grundy is leaving the Southwest District after 55 years and will play in the Group A Black Diamond District next season.

For Berglowe, whose team had an open date last week, it was his first game since his family lost everything in a fire that destroyed their Buchanan County home almost two weeks ago.

"It felt great to finally get back on the field," the humble junior said. "Everyone, all my teammates and coaches, they’ve been there for me the last two weeks, and they were there for me tonight.

"It felt even better to get a win here. Marion has beaten us everytime we’ve played them since I’ve been on the varsity."

Berglowe was there for the Golden Wave, rushing for 140 yards and a touchdown. He carried the ball five times on a 14-play, 75-yard drive to start the game.

John Kelly capped the possession with a 21-yard touchdown pass to Ben Rife. Grundy, 5-0 for the first time since 1996, then exchanged fumbles with Marion (3-2, 1-1) late in the opening period.

After the Scarlet Hurricanes turnover the Golden Wave took a 14-0 lead on a 9-play, 47-yard drive keyed by a 16-yard run from Berglowe, who later scored on a 1-yard run.

Marion finally drove deep into Grundy territory near the end of the half when Berglowe made a play on defense that made a big difference in the second half.

On the final play of the first half Berglowe interecepted a pass and returned it 93 yards for a touchdown to give the Golden Wave a 21-0 lead.

"That was a huge play," Berglowe said. "Right before the play coach [Craig] Plymal switched me and Nick Travis around.

"I saw the quarterback get hit as he let go of the ball and I just made a play on it. I got a great block from Cody Rife downfield or I would have never made it all the way."

Grundy, led by Kelly, Cody Rife, Tanner Marshall, Tyler Justus, Eric Hodge and a host of other defenders, kept pressure on Marion quarterback Marshall Wagner all game long, registering a whopping nine sacks.

Wagner, Ethan Richardson, Princeton Graham and the Scarlet Hurricanes were able to hang on and threaten in the second half, when it controlled the ball on offense and shut Grundy out on defense.

Marion, however, had the ball in Wave territory three times after the intermission before finally getting into the end zone on a brilliantly-executed bootleg by a Wagner for a 13-yard touchdown run. Just 8:48, however, remained in the game.

"They whipped us in the first half," Marion coach Michael Briscoe said. "The kids made the adjustments we needed to make in the second half.

"We just couldn’t finish drives. It seemed like we used up everything we had left just to get in that position."

Marion blocked a Grundy punt at the Scarlet Hurricane 30-yard line with 1:30 remaining, but sacks from Kelly and Cody Rife helped Grundy end the ‘Canes final threat.

"We couldn’t get anything going on offense in the second half," Grundy coach Greg Rowe said. "You got to give our defense a lot of credit, they were on the field pretty much the whole second half.

"You’ve got to give Marion credit, too. They played a lot harder than we did in the second half."

Richardson finished with 101 yards on the ground on 14 attempts.

In addition to having a punt blocked, Grundy lost two fumbles and fumbled away a punt. Marion turned the ball over three times and missed a 30-yard field goal attempt.

Grundy 14 7 0 0–21

Marion 0 0 0 6–6

Scoring Summary

G-Rife 21 pass from Kelly (Mutter kick)

G-Berglowe 1 run (Mutter kick

G-Berlgowe 93 Int Ret. (Mutter kick)

M-Wagner 13 run (kick blocked)

Team Stats

First Downs: Gru 11, Mar 13; Rushes-Yards: Gru 40-123, Mar 46-173; Passing Yards: Gru 30, Mar 23; Comp-Att-Int: Gru 2-10-0, Mar 4-17-2; Fumbles-Lost: Gru 3-2, Mar 3-1; Penalties: Gru 4-35, Mar 5-55; Punts: Gru 2-16.5, Mar 2-20.0.