best trick play ever!!!

BlueTornadoFan

Yes side snaps are but the Verbage by the Coach on the sideline makes the play illegal. The defense is made to believe that a snap is not imminent. Rule 9.9.1 in the Federation Rules.

See, I had to go research this a little now.

Here is a link to the 2010 NFHS Football case book:

http://www.rvofficials.com/files/nfhs/01_2010_NFHS_Case_Book_%28Football%29.pdf

The section you reference is page 85 (of 96), and says:

9.9.1 SITUATION B: From a field goal formation, potential kicker A1 yells, “Where’s the tee?†A2 replies, “I’ll go get it†and goes legally in motion toward his team’s sideline. Ball is snapped to A1 who throws a touchdown pass to A2. RULING: Unsportsmanlike conduct prior to snap. The ball should be declared dead and the foul enforced as a dead-ball foul. COMMENT: Football has been and always will be a game of deception and trickery involving multiple shifts, unusual formations and creative plays. However, actions or verbiage designed to confuse the defense into believing there is problem and a snap isn’t imminent is beyond the scope of sportsmanship and is illegal.

So, I admit, it sounds like that if there is an attempt to deceive that a snap is not going to happen, the play is illegal. It seems that was the case here, with the coach yelling about something, and the snap happening the way it did. Sounds like the official has to make a judgment call on this one. I would suspect that the coaches talked to the officials beforehand, to let them know about the play. I'm surprised the official didn't clarify that any attempt to deceive about the snap would end with blowing the play dead.

The one thing that is missing from this clip is the date...it could have occurred prior to the rule change several years ago and was completely legal at the time it was run. However the NFHS saw a number of schools using the so called "wrong ball" play that it was clarified and made a special point of emphasis in the case book.

The one thing that is missing from this clip is the date...it could have occurred prior to the rule change several years ago and was completely legal at the time it was run. However the NFHS saw a number of schools using the so called "wrong ball" play that it was clarified and made a special point of emphasis in the case book.

This happened like a week ago.