Palin ...lol

Lance

Sorry fellas, I know I am pretty much an outsider but I read this and couldnt help but run my mouth.

No worries, neighbor. Our host(s) on this board apparently generous and tolerant souls.

As regards the content of your post, I agree with you.

Until we stop viewing politics the same way we do spectator sports (my team is the best so yours must suck), we're going to continue to have the type of governing problems that are sinking our country. Aside from the fact that I disagree with Obama's policies and apparent philosophy, I haven't concluded that it's necessary to vote AGAINST anyone until the 2012 picture becomes more clear.

Edited by RichlandsAlum

Guest The Variable
No worries, neighbor. Our host(s) on this board apparently generous and tolerant souls.

As regards the content of your post, I agree with you.

Until we stop viewing politics the same way we do spectator sports (my team is the best so yours much suck), we're going to continue to have the type of governing problems that are sinking our country. Aside from the fact that I disagree with Obama's policies and apparent philosophy, I haven't concluded that it's necessary to vote AGAINST anyone until the 2012 picture becomes more clear.

Full disclosure, I am a member of the local Tea Party here in my area.

I would not be opposed to voting for someone who I was against in some ideology, as long as they stood for the big things.

For me the big things are the deficit and defense. If someone could balance the budget (and balanced to me at this point would be operating well in the black so we could pay off debt.) and make sure we put the kibash on both the terrorist folks AND the mexican border. In exchange for that I could deal with a lot of the smaller things that I am against.

here is my message:

Republicans...give me someone worth voting for.

Newt, Palin, and anyone like those two idiots won't do it...I'd vote for Chuck Norris at this point.

I was watching Letterman last night and Rachel Maddow was on the show. She hit the nail on the head with Obama. He and his campaign had GREAT ideas, but the problem was getting those great ideas into great/good outcomes.

here is my message:

Republicans...give me someone worth voting for.

Newt, Palin, and anyone like those two idiots won't do it...I'd vote for Chuck Norris at this point.

I'd vote for Chuck Norris in any scenario, regardless.

Norris-Beard, '12

Guest The Variable
I'd vote for Chuck Norris in any scenario, regardless.

Norris-Beard, '12

Capital Punishment usage goes up 3000% in 2012. Lethal Injection and Electric Chair replaced by Roundhouse Kick and Beard-Fist.

Guest The Variable
I was watching Letterman last night and Rachel Maddow was on the show. She hit the nail on the head with Obama. He and his campaign had GREAT ideas, but the problem was getting those great ideas into great/good outcomes.

Lots of things look good on paper...Like Cliff Lee going into this years World Series.

Create Jobs? Great idea.

Bring about an end to the wars? Awesome, nobody likes War

Fix the economy? Bless you!

The problem lies in the fact that the Government can only fix one of those problems (the wars) and seems so inept that they cannot even do that right. Government cannot create REAL self-sustaining employment and cant fix the economy. These things have to be handled by us with the Government getting out of the way.

This was one of my big problems with him. Hes a campaigner, not a manager. Hes a good frontman but not a mastermind. He has never had a job where he has had to actually MANAGE an operation. Lawyers make terrible leaders.

Obama should be hating the Democrats as much as anyone about right now...Pelosi and crew have screwed the pooch and not done a damn thing in 2 years, they were given the golden ticket and pissed it away...and that pisses me off to no end...they could have gone in every day and actually done something to help our country and they have not done so...all they did was parade around saying the same old crap and doing nothing...if Obama could have gotten a group that wanted to do something and make things happen, they could have really put the rubber to the road and done it.

Then after mid-terms what do these idiots do? keep Pelosi around in charge...pathetic.

I like Obama, I think he did a good job with the financial crisis...I don't like the health care legislation as it went down, but something had to be done...it will surely get un-done soon enough I'm sure...but I don't think his own party has done anything to help his cause or their own...they are the biggest bunch of morons I've ever seen. The Republicans are just as bad and couldn't find their own ass with both hands behind their back.

We need a change, and the same old stuff will just get us the same old results....it's time for the Dems and the Republicans to both hit the road.

Lots of things look good on paper...Like Cliff Lee going into this years World Series.

Create Jobs? Great idea.

Bring about an end to the wars? Awesome, nobody likes War

Fix the economy? Bless you!

The problem lies in the fact that the Government can only fix one of those problems (the wars) and seems so inept that they cannot even do that right. Government cannot create REAL self-sustaining employment and cant fix the economy. These things have to be handled by us with the Government getting out of the way.

This was one of my big problems with him. Hes a campaigner, not a manager. Hes a good frontman but not a mastermind. He has never had a job where he has had to actually MANAGE an operation. Lawyers make terrible leaders.

You had me, right up until the last sentence. I think Bill Clinton, F.D. Roosevelt, William H. Taft, McKinley, Presidents 2-8, and some fellow named Abraham Lincoln serve to disprove your notion.

This is aside from the fact that I believe being a lawyer should be a prerequisite for Congress. But that's for another time.

Guest The Variable
You had me, right up until the last sentence. I think Bill Clinton, F.D. Roosevelt, William H. Taft, McKinley, Presidents 2-8, and some fellow named Abraham Lincoln serve to disprove your notion.

Presidents 2-8 get a pass because a lot of them were there to draft the original constitution...nothing beats intent better than the intender (word?).

Aside from that, Lincoln is the exception to the rule. Being military, especially around blackhawks, Clinton is a scumbag. As a manager, I think we enjoyed good times because he understood that working with congress benefited everyone. Plus I think the dot.com bubble would make anyone look good. Roosevelt...I believe WW2 got us out of a depression that he exasterbated. Taft and McKinley I dont know a whole lot about.

This is aside from the fact that I believe being a lawyer should be a prerequisite for Congress. But that's for another time.

Executive is a management position. Legislator is a law-creating position. We need some lawyers in congress but the only place I really would see it being a prereq would be the Judiciary.

Presidents 2-8 get a pass because a lot of them were there to draft the original constitution...nothing beats intent better than the intender (word?).

Aside from that, Lincoln is the exception to the rule. Being military, especially around blackhawks, Clinton is a scumbag. As a manager, I think we enjoyed good times because he understood that working with congress benefited everyone. Plus I think the dot.com bubble would make anyone look good. Roosevelt...I believe WW2 got us out of a depression that he exasterbated. Taft and McKinley I dont know a whole lot about.

McKinley did a splendid job on foreign policy until he was assassinated, and Taft was responsible for the majority of the trust-busting and bringing American standards for labor into the 20th century. Those two did a fantastic job in their time, and they weren't but 9 years apart, either.

As far as Clinton, I agree that he was a moral scumbag, both for jumping the border and for perjuring himself. But I can't deny that he's been a far better president than our last two, extending NAFTA excepted. Plus, he had the economy going better than it had since LBJ (who'd probably be a Top-5 president all-time were it not for Vietnam). Yes, he had to work with the Republican Congress to do it, but that's managerial savvy, is it not?

For Roosevelt, I believe that he extended the Great Depression about 7 years farther than it should have gone, much as you do. I also think it was dirty how he tried to pack the Supreme Court. But he was pretty much spot on with foreign policy, which is more than any president in the last 50 years can attest to.

Executive is a management position. Legislator is a law-creating position. We need some lawyers in congress but the only place I really would see it being a prereq would be the Judiciary.

I think it's a little obtuse to say that lawyers cannot be in management positions. That's the whole crux behind being a partner: you make the managerial decisions for the firm. Mediators are often lawyers who are trained how to manage conflicting interests on a whole range of issues. Lawyers manage more than people realize.

But you would think being a judge would be a prerequisite for being on the Supreme Court. Paging Elena Kagan...

BTW, welcome to this forum. Please stay around a while. :)

Guest The Variable
As far as Clinton, I agree that he was a moral scumbag, both for jumping the border and for perjuring himself.

But I can't deny that he's been a far better president than our last two, extending NAFTA excepted. Plus, he had the economy going better than it had since LBJ (who'd probably be a Top-5 president all-time were it not for Vietnam). Yes, he had to work with the Republican Congress to do it, but that's managerial savvy, is it not?

Yeah, the lying thing was the worst thing professionally for him to do in that situation. His screw up in Mogadishu to me defined his character.

I think he had some real God-given talent for working people...but he also was a Governor too, so he already had experience in managing a government.

Its been a LONG time since we have had a good President, and I do think Congress is partly to blame for that.

For Roosevelt, I believe that he extended the Great Depression about 7 years farther than it should have gone, much as you do. I also think it was dirty how he tried to pack the Supreme Court. But he was pretty much spot on with foreign policy, which is more than any president in the last 50 years can attest to.

Very true on all points I feel. But who wouldnt go to war after Pearl Harbor? Even Al Gore would have done it because of all the carbon emmissions from our ships that they sunk.

I think it's a little obtuse to say that lawyers cannot be in management positions. That's the whole crux behind being a partner: you make the managerial decisions for the firm. Mediators are often lawyers who are trained how to manage conflicting interests on a whole range of issues. Lawyers manage more than people realize.

Youre right, I oversimplified. I mean if I am looking at a resume for the new executive of the company and it reads lawyer, it doesnt excite me. If it reads (in Obamas case) Community Organizer, then I think he belongs in a PR or Advertising job, not as the guy running the show. The man gets people excited, but so does Sarah Palin.

Me? I like Chris Christie and Bobby Jindal. I would like to see Rubio swing more my way on immigration but I see him running for President in 2016.

But you would think being a judge would be a prerequisite for being on the Supreme Court. Paging Elena Kagan...

Yeah, I learned something new there. Of course I think that Eric Holder has been the REAL disappointment in the Justice System.

BTW, welcome to this forum. Please stay around a while. :)

Thanks...that is the second welcome I have gotten saying much the same. Very friendly. BTW I see you are in Carlisle. I went there a few times for Corvettes at Carlisle back when I was a tech rep for a local speed shop here. Beautiful area.

Yeah, the lying thing was the worst thing professionally for him to do in that situation. His screw up in Mogadishu to me defined his character.

I think he had some real God-given talent for working people...but he also was a Governor too, so he already had experience in managing a government.

Its been a LONG time since we have had a good President, and I do think Congress is partly to blame for that.

It didn't cross my mind, but you're right: Clinton did have time to cut his teeth in Arkansas before ascending to the presidency. It still strikes me as odd that he was a relative unknown until the primaries rolled around, and his War Room team spun into action. Did not also recall Somalia, but you're right on that as well. Just serves to remind me how bad Clinton's first 2 years were.

I think the rabidly partisan nature is to blame for some of that. You have to pander to your base, and the media's picking apart every single thing you do that doesn't align with how your party believes. I'd say that our last "good" president was probably Eisenhower. LBJ excepted because of Vietnam.

Very true on all points I feel. But who wouldnt go to war after Pearl Harbor? Even Al Gore would have done it because of all the carbon emmissions from our ships that they sunk.

I say your right (and I chuckled about Gore, more because I could actually see him using that as a justification), but I think the real strategy was trying to fix problems at home before turning attention abroad, because the U.S. could've justified entry into the war as early as 9/1/39, and did start selling arms to Allies in 1940. Instead of pouring money we didn't have into a war, he at least tried at home, and that's better than what I'd expect today.

Youre right, I oversimplified. I mean if I am looking at a resume for the new executive of the company and it reads lawyer, it doesnt excite me. If it reads (in Obamas case) Community Organizer, then I think he belongs in a PR or Advertising job, not as the guy running the show. The man gets people excited, but so does Sarah Palin.

Me? I like Chris Christie and Bobby Jindal. I would like to see Rubio swing more my way on immigration but I see him running for President in 2016.

The reason I took a little offense is that after I finish my paper today, I'm done with law school. I have an insider's perspective on the issue, and I see firsthand how much managing is involved in day-to-say operations.

I like Jindal, and I think that he'd blow Obama away in 2012 if Obama doesn't do some major shifting ideologically right and do it in a hurry. I also agree about Rubio's prospects in 2016.

Yeah, I learned something new there. Of course I think that Eric Holder has been the REAL disappointment in the Justice System.

I can't stand Holder. One of the first things he did upon entering office was to play the race card and call the U.S. a "Nation of Cowards". It's not like the U.S. hasn't passed reams of civil rights legislation in the past 60 years or anything. He's contradictory on his rationale for closing Guantanamo. And anyone who thinks that the 9/11 masterminds would get a fair trial in the S.D.N.Y. of all places does not deserve a job in the legal field.

Thanks...that is the second welcome I have gotten saying much the same. Very friendly. BTW I see you are in Carlisle. I went there a few times for Corvettes at Carlisle back when I was a tech rep for a local speed shop here. Beautiful area.

NP!

Glad you know the area! Carlisle is known well for the car shows, and that Corvette show at the end of August is probably the biggest one. Makes driving a mess over the weekend, but it's good to see a town that works as hard as Carlisle does to market itself and bring in revenue. It's like SWVA towns, except the exact opposite...

Guest The Variable
I say your right (and I chuckled about Gore, more because I could actually see him using that as a justification), but I think the real strategy was trying to fix problems at home before turning attention abroad, because the U.S. could've justified entry into the war as early as 9/1/39, and did start selling arms to Allies in 1940. Instead of pouring money we didn't have into a war, he at least tried at home, and that's better than what I'd expect today.

We also forgave their war debts which probably saved europe from another depression, but would have given us a TON of revenue for the politicians to waste away...

The reason I took a little offense is that after I finish my paper today, I'm done with law school. I have an insider's perspective on the issue, and I see firsthand how much managing is involved in day-to-say operations.

Point taken.

I can't stand Holder. One of the first things he did upon entering office was to play the race card and call the U.S. a "Nation of Cowards". It's not like the U.S. hasn't passed reams of civil rights legislation in the past 60 years or anything. He's contradictory on his rationale for closing Guantanamo. And anyone who thinks that the 9/11 masterminds would get a fair trial in the S.D.N.Y. of all places does not deserve a job in the legal field.

Yeah, and his position on the nature of our biggest terrorist threat is borderline fatal. You HAVE to identify your enemy. Saying that they use islam as a weapon doesnt mean you say all muslims are terrorist. War is not a concept that caters to the politically correct. Not to mention that the embassy bomber basically got off on every single charge but one. That was a failure almost as embarassing as the lockerbie bomber getting released last year.

NP!

Glad you know the area! Carlisle is known well for the car shows, and that Corvette show at the end of August is probably the biggest one. Makes driving a mess over the weekend, but it's good to see a town that works as hard as Carlisle does to market itself and bring in revenue. It's like SWVA towns, except the exact opposite...

Yes, they do a real nice job there and you can imagine how much revenue the largest US Corvette convention brings into that small town. Nice restaraunts too like Doc Hollidays.

My entire experience with SWVA consists of driving through it to get to Tennesee and I guy I went to Iraq with who is from Norton. I think a lot of other Virginians forget that SWVA even exists, almost like the State ends at Roanoake.