WV AAA State Championship game

beaverbaseball

United States v. Morrison, 529 U.S. 598 (2000).

And I could go on in painful, laborious detail.

I'd best concede this point if I were you.

I was not trying to turn this into some big deal about Va Tech. Hea, they are just part of the landscape of college sports now, like it or not. I know that most of the guys are not bad or dumb but my point is that if you're good enough you can be. I do hope for the good of high school sports in West Va that the State officials do stand up to the Courts and make everybody obey the rules in place. To say it was after the game was over and it was a fight on the football field with players dressed is obsurd. Does not matter what the clock said. Just example of Mommy's and Daddy's with money and/or power trying to control the game.

If there is some kind of "tape review" after the game to determine who gets tossed, I think the WVSSAC needs to be the one doing it. I think the WVSSAC needs to reserve the right to toss players after the fact, done at the office level, with the right of appeal.

National Federation rules prohibit ANY use of video by officials.

Schools can, and do, to determine "internal" punishments, which could imcude an extra-cirriculum ban for a week, but the trfs can't.

They DO need to be able to toss them after the fact in some instances, like when it happened at the end of the game and they have to leave the field for safety reasons. Give'em time and privavcy to figure it out.

Looks to me like WV has a few rules that need to be tweaked.

To say it was after the game was over and it was a fight on the football field with players dressed is obsurd. Does not matter what the clock said. .

Fight wasn't after the game... it was during... happened after an INT... :14 left.

I do hope for the good of high school sports in West Va that the State officials do stand up to the Courts and make everybody obey the rules in place.

You must not have read the review... the REASON the WVSSAC is in court is BECAUSE the courts said THE WVSSAC has to play by the rules that are in place. They're arguing that they don't have too.

I'll concede that point. That was an ugly, ugly time in VT football. I had thankfully blocked that mess out of my mind, but it's all coming back now (gee, thanks!!) I do wish I would have clarified that I meant after they were in school. I don't think anybody outside of Marcus (that I can remember) had legal issues after finishing at VT (and I mean the kids that were not kicked off the team)

Thanks for the clarification. I was fixing to get all riled up. ;)

Beamer and staff have certainly done a better job since Marcus Vick, I cannot lie. Though how they handled the Branden Ore situation left a bitter taste in my mouth. That's probably the only blemish I can recall in post-MVII times.

After seeing the video of the South Charleston-Hurricane game, this is the bottom line, WHEN YOUR TEAM CLEARS THE BENCH AND THE COPS HAVE TO BREAK UP THE FIGHT, YOU'RE FREAKING WRONG!!! Since both teams participated, game should've been forfieted by both sides, would've sent a strong message.

After seeing the video of the South Charleston-Hurricane game, this is the bottom line, WHEN YOUR TEAM CLEARS THE BENCH AND THE COPS HAVE TO BREAK UP THE FIGHT, YOU'RE FREAKING WRONG!!! Since both teams participated, game should've been forfieted by both sides, would've sent a strong message.

I read an article that quoted the Principal as saying all school disciplinary procedures had been followed. I found that odd.

From where I sit, the Superintendent and School Bd. should have grown a set after watching the video. The team should have not been allowed to play the next game, and there should have been suspensions on the coaching staff for failing to control the players involved.

I AGREE 100% MavsRock. This was a bunch of thugs out of control period and both teams should be penalized. We can not allow free for alls in High School football games. The winner of the game should be out of the Playoffs and the next team in line recieve a by. In this situation it would be the State title. The other team involved should also have a penalty. Send a message this will not be tolerated.

Looks like it will be Brooke playing Martinsburg for the WV AAA title this Saturday night

http://www.dailymail.com/Sports/PrepSports/201012070554

The West Virginia State Supreme Court of Appeals ruled today to uphold the West Virginia Secondary School Activities Commission's suspension of four South Charleston High football players.

Gary Ray, executive director of the SSAC, announced this afternoon the commission has forced South Charleston to forfeit its 29-28 win over Brooke High School in the Nov. 27 Class AAA semifinal game.

Brooke will face off against Martinsburg High School in the Class AAA State Football Championship Game this Saturday, Dec. 11 at 7 p.m. in Wheeling.

"I'm just pleased that (the state Supreme Court) had the opportunity to give us a quick decision. I appreciate that on behalf of our member schools and our students," Ray said.

He said he's glad the commission will determine the champion on the field and "move forward."

Kanawha Circuit Judge Carrie Webster last week ruled to nullify the players' suspensions, agreeing with Ben Salango, the athletes' attorney, that game officials did not follow proper protocol in expelling the students.

"Upon review, this court finds that the lower court exceeded its authority in issuing the preliminary injunction," the order stated.

"The judiciary has no authority to review whether the rules governing the WVSSAC were properly applied. That is a determination reserved for the WVSSAC."

Looks like it will be Brooke playing Martinsburg for the WV AAA title this Saturday night

http://www.dailymail.com/Sports/PrepSports/201012070554

The West Virginia State Supreme Court of Appeals ruled today to uphold the West Virginia Secondary School Activities Commission's suspension of four South Charleston High football players.

Gary Ray, executive director of the SSAC, announced this afternoon the commission has forced South Charleston to forfeit its 29-28 win over Brooke High School in the Nov. 27 Class AAA semifinal game.

Brooke will face off against Martinsburg High School in the Class AAA State Football Championship Game this Saturday, Dec. 11 at 7 p.m. in Wheeling.

"I'm just pleased that (the state Supreme Court) had the opportunity to give us a quick decision. I appreciate that on behalf of our member schools and our students," Ray said.

He said he's glad the commission will determine the champion on the field and "move forward."

Kanawha Circuit Judge Carrie Webster last week ruled to nullify the players' suspensions, agreeing with Ben Salango, the athletes' attorney, that game officials did not follow proper protocol in expelling the students.

"Upon review, this court finds that the lower court exceeded its authority in issuing the preliminary injunction," the order stated.

"The judiciary has no authority to review whether the rules governing the WVSSAC were properly applied. That is a determination reserved for the WVSSAC."

GOOD! The legal system gets it right, again.

The bolded part is what I've been saying all along, too. The WVSSAC can set its own guidelines to govern itself, and as long as there's no violation of due process (and there wasn't), the courts should not be involved.

... as long as there's no violation of due process (and there wasn't), ...

That's arguable, because the WVSSAC has no appeals process.

But the thing is, the courts continue to give the WVSSAC the right to violate it's own rules anytime they want. Unfortunately, it hurts the kids, because the schools are stupid enough to allow it to continue.

That's arguable, because the WVSSAC has no appeals process.

But the thing is, the courts continue to give the WVSSAC the right to violate it's own rules anytime they want. Unfortunately, it hurts the kids, because the schools are stupid enough to allow it to continue.

That's a whole different battle to fight, challenging the system rather than the ruling.

As it stands, the WVSSAC did not violate established procedure, and courts very often defer to administrative policies.

My simple take on this is that the rule in place was designed to specifically cover game action. In the case of a fight or post game problems, all resources should utilized to punish the responsible parties.

The state probably COULD have reviewed the tape and made the right ejections, but they didn't. (yet another clue that they are clueless.) They relied on the ref's reports (more than one) and proper procedure wasn't followed. That might've cleared up the whole mess before the semis.

Or maybe not. Another argument was that the rules say an ejected player must sit out the next regularly scheduled contest. Both coaches got on the stand and said they only had 10 regularly scheduled contests this season. Everyone knows playoff games aren't RSCs. So, even if 28 SC players had gotten the boot, they all should've been eligible for the semis.

But the SSAC went on precedent and said the rule applies to ANY contest, and the kids should'n't have played in the semis, so that's a forfeit.

Even thought they won in court, I think they lost in the public eye, and not just in WV, because this became a national story.

I thought it was sad for South Charleston to play those players whose eligibility was in question, In all likelyhood they knew it was a great possibility they would be ruled against. They let four players and greed ruin the chances for the three-peat. They were lucky that the whole team wasnt disqualified in the fight and they got away with just 4 players being suspended, but yet that wasnt good enough. Greed and Dishonor is what the South Charleston school officials represent. I agree that I feel sorry for the other players, but what type of message did that send to the rest of team? That they weren't good enough to win that game without those 4 players? That to me is the greatest disrespect of all, that my Coach and School Officials didnt believe in the rest of the team to win one game. They will be a black cloud over this program for a long time.

I thought it was sad for South Charleston to play those players whose eligibility was in question, In all likelyhood they knew it was a great possibility they would be ruled against. They let four players and greed ruin the chances for the three-peat. They were lucky that the whole team wasnt disqualified in the fight and they got away with just 4 players being suspended, but yet that wasnt good enough. Greed and Dishonor is what the South Charleston school officials represent. I agree that I feel sorry for the other players, but what type of message did that send to the rest of team? That they weren't good enough to win that game without those 4 players? That to me is the greatest disrespect of all, that my Coach and School Officials didnt believe in the rest of the team to win one game. They will be a black cloud over this program for a long time.

+1