WV AAA State Championship game

beaverbaseball

talk about a mess....

http://wtrf.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=90314

Brooke County Prosecutor David Cross has filed a motion for a temporary restraining order.

UPDATE Nov. 30, 6:08 p.m.

Kanawha County Circuit Judge Carrie Webster has granted relief of the temporary injunction allowing four South Charleston football players allowed to play in the AAA Championship game.

According to Websters ruling, South Charleston football players have been granted relief to play in the AAA Championship game.

The four players for South Charleston, Nos. 5, 7, 11 and 12, will be available to play if South Charleston is allowed to play in the AAA Championship game.

The motion to dissolve the temporary restraining order is denied moot.

The court has ordered the plaintiffs shall remain eligible to participate in interscholastic activities.

Click here to read the order granting preliminary injunction.

Ohio County Circuit Court Judge Arthur Recht's injunction is still active for a 10 day suspension of the game.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE Nov. 30, 4:46 p.m.

Ohio County Circuit Court Judge Arthur Recht has issued an injunction that will halt Saturday's AAA Championship Football Game between South Charleston and Martinsburg.

The Brooke County Board of Education asked for a delay until a Kanawha County Judge rules.

By the judge granting this, it will prevent the game from being played on Saturday afternoon at Wheeling Island.

The injunction is set for 10 days and is pending on Kanawha County Circuit Judge Carrie Webster's decision.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE by Dave Elias, Nov. 30, 1 p.m.

The confusing controversy over this weekends AAA State Championship game rages on. Brooke County Prosecutor David P. Cross filed a motion for a temporary restraining order.

If it's granted it could prevent the game from going on Saturday afternoon on Wheeling Island. That is until a final decision is made.

Judge Arthur Recht will decide this afternoon in Wheeling whether to grant the temporary restraining order.

A Kanawha County judge is expected to issue a ruling on the four South Charleston football players and their suspension.

A decision is expected this afternoon.

The players were in court Monday to appeal their suspensions, after a South Charleston fight during football game two weeks ago. Those four players participated in the semifinal game against Brooke and scored virtually all of the points in a 29-28 Black Eagles win.

If the judge lifts the restraining order the matter will revert back to the WVSSAC.

The WVSSAC has given Brooke permission to continue practicing for the Championship game , just in case they have to play.

UPDATE Nov. 29, 5:52 p.m.

Final oral arguments wrapped up in the courtroom a little after 5:30 p.m. after a hearing that started a little after 3:30 p.m.

Webster adjourned today and said she will not make a decision until tomorrow morning, when she will resume the hearing.

ORIGINAL STORY Nov. 29, 11:19 a.m.

The Brooke County Board of Education, represented by attorney David Cross, has filed a motion in Kanawha County Circuit Court asking to become a part of the case involving the Brooke High School and South Charleston football teams.

A hearing is being held today at 1:30 p.m. in Charleston.

The West Virginia Secondary Schools Activities Commission has filed a motion to vacate and dissolve the temporary restraining order that was granted last week by Circuit Court Judge Carrie Webster.

The temporary restraining order allowed four South Charleston football players to participate in the Class AAA semifinal game against the Bruins last Saturday, won by South Charleston 29-28.

The WVSSAC ruled that the four players, who were involved in a late-game brawl with Hurricane High School two weeks ago, would be out for the semifinal game. But Webster granted a temporary restraining order, allowing the players to play against the Bruins. The court ruled last week that there was insufficient time to hear the case with the Thanksgiving holiday.

The four South Charleston football players who were named in the court order are senior quarterback and reigning Kennedy Award winner Tyler Harris, senior receivers Perry Henry and Emerson Gagnon, and sophomore running back Trevond Reese.

Cross tells 7 News that he wants South Charleston to forfeit the game, which would send the Bruins back to the Class AAA state championship game against Martinsburg Saturday at noon at Wheeling Island Stadium.

Cross adds that the semifinal game cannot be replayed, but points that were scored in the game by the players listed in the restraining order, could be removed.

Oh my, what a mess indeed. Isn't it true that players ejected from the game for fighting are supposed to sit out the next game? Appears that South Charleston did NOT sit the players.

Interesting, sounds like there are multiple issues here, from this quote...

The four players for South Charleston, Nos. 5, 7, 11 and 12, will be available to play if South Charleston is allowed to play in the AAA Championship game.

(emphasis is mine)

So, there is also a move afoot to keep SC from playing, in addition to keeping the players from playing. What a mess.

Oh wait, I see what is happening now, I think. From the latest update:

Ohio County Circuit Court Judge Arthur Recht's injunction is still active for a 10 day suspension of the game.

Someone mentioned before, when they came to Bluefield to play, and escaped with a narrow win, they allegedly trashed the visitor's locker room at Mitchell Stadium. Is this a culture thing with SC, where is it coming from?

I know from living up there (lived in the Charleston area from 1992 to 2000) that South Charleston is a consolidated school, with kids from the old Dunbar High going there too. I know that Dunbar is a pretty rough town, too. From where the bridge crosses, towards Institute and WV State, it's not a good area down that way. The assumption I am making (although I don't know for sure) is that kids from rough neighborhood=undisciplined kids, at least in this case. I don't think that is always the case, I think good coaching can instill discipline.

Anybody know more about what the deal is at SC?

(edit) found more in the other thread. Sounds like the fight happened AFTER the game, depending on the definition. That is why they want to be able to play, saying the officials have no jurisdiction after the final whistle. They also tried to say that playoff games don't have the same ejection rules, although I think that is bogus.

Edited by BeaverHokie

I think it is a shame when the courts get involved in high school sports. If there is a rule is in place to sit out a game after being involved in a fight or after leaving the bench during a fight, then what does the courts have to do with it. I hope the State of West Virginia stands up for the rules in place and does not allow them to play or just forfeits the game for SC. High school sports is a priviledge and the State does not have to allow rule breakers to be there. You can't send a message to the young men involved that thay can get out of the rules we live by or we all pay the price later. High School should get you ready to be a productive member of society after graduation and not always looking for an angle to bend the rules. Just wait and see if there is not some 2-bit lawyer and a couple of thugs looking to make a buck on the back of one of the police or security people there during the fight. Does this country have any integrity left?

I am a VA tech grad and love my team, but when Little Vick stepped on the Louisville player and Beamer did not sit him for a game then I lost a lot of respect for Beamer as a coach and would be fine with him moving on. If we go back to a .500 team with character so be it.

Edited by Gizmo777

Need to come from this. First they need to rewrite the rules so that they allow the officials jurisdiction to continue until a post game conference is held and video footage if available is reviewed. The way the rule is stated now that is not the case and one of the big argueing points in the court cases. Secondly, the SSAC needs to have an appeals process within. Currently the officials are judge, jury, and executioner with no third party involvement. I am not a judge but the courts are probably looking at that as being unconstitutional, thus feeling the need to get involved. Several years ago, I was ejected at a game and what the official wrote on the report, and what actually happened were two entirely different things, but yet I had no way, other than the court system to appeal the ejection. I hope to see at least two rule changes come about because of this situation.

Need to come from this. First they need to rewrite the rules so that they allow the officials jurisdiction to continue until a post game conference is held and video footage if available is reviewed. The way the rule is stated now that is not the case and one of the big argueing points in the court cases. Secondly, the SSAC needs to have an appeals process within. Currently the officials are judge, jury, and executioner with no third party involvement. I am not a judge but the courts are probably looking at that as being unconstitutional, thus feeling the need to get involved. Several years ago, I was ejected at a game and what the official wrote on the report, and what actually happened were two entirely different things, but yet I had no way, other than the court system to appeal the ejection. I hope to see at least two rule changes come about because of this situation.

My simple take on this is that the rule in place was designed to specifically cover game action. In the case of a fight or post game problems, all resources should utilized to punish the responsible parties.

Someone mentioned before, when they came to Bluefield to play, and escaped with a narrow win, they allegedly trashed the visitor's locker room at Mitchell Stadium. Is this a culture thing with SC, where is it coming from?

It's historical. South Charleston, deservedly or not, has had the reputation of being a "rough" school for a very long time. My mom's a native of the Charleston area and she's alluded to this many times when talking about her high school days back in the 1950's.

I am a VA tech grad and love my team, but when Little Vick stepped on the Louisville player and Beamer did not sit him for a game then I lost a lot of respect for Beamer as a coach and would be fine with him moving on.

But wasn't that Marcus Vick's last game at VT? How could Beamer have sat him for a game???

VT grad/fan??? Iffy...

First off, video is not allowed to be used to review plays by officials in WV. They only "ejected" these players after watching the video of the incident. IMO, if they had watched the video of the incident, several more players could/should have been ejected as well, but they were not. How can the "watch the video" and then seem to pick and choose who they were ejecting from the game???? As much as I hate to say it, SC has a pretty good case here...

However, I do think the WVSSAC needs to grow a set and take control of this situation...

But wasn't that Marcus Vick's last game at VT? How could Beamer have sat him for a game???

VT grad/fan??? Iffy...

Marcus was actually permanently dismissed from the team shortly after that Gator Bowl incident "due to a cumulative effect of legal infractions and unsportsmanlike play".

Just to set the record straight.

First off, video is not allowed to be used to review plays by officials in WV. They only "ejected" these players after watching the video of the incident. IMO, if they had watched the video of the incident, several more players could/should have been ejected as well, but they were not. How can the "watch the video" and then seem to pick and choose who they were ejecting from the game???? As much as I hate to say it, SC has a pretty good case here...

However, I do think the WVSSAC needs to grow a set and take control of this situation...

+10,000

At the rate this is going it may be the Super 4 and the Tainted 2. If the game is played, and the courts rule against the players and SC has won, it is a vacated title.

If the WVSSAC chooses to "grow a set," and they are forced to allow the suspended players to play, and SC wins the title should be vacated and go to Brooke.

Marcus was actually permanently dismissed from the team shortly after that Gator Bowl incident "due to a cumulative effect of legal infractions and unsportsmanlike play".

Just to set the record straight.

Yeh, that's what I was trying to say in a round-about sort of way...his last game at VT...

I think it's an abuse of the legal system. Nothing short of abuse.

Agree and Disagree. Yes the courts should stay out of it, but the reason they are involved is because the SSAC was NO APPEAL PROCESS. None! I think the courts would not intervene if the SSAC had an in house rule to handle appeals.

Agree and Disagree. Yes the courts should stay out of it, but the reason they are involved is because the SSAC was NO APPEAL PROCESS. None! I think the courts would not intervene if the SSAC had an in house rule to handle appeals.

Why do you need an "appeal process" if the rule is in black and white and it was grossly violated???

Here's the compacted Cliff's Notes version for those who haven't kept up with this.... these 4 kids were never ejected from the game. Coach was NOT told they were going to be ejected. They were "ejected" ONLY in the post-game paperwork. Therefore, they should NOT have to sit ou a game.

Refs screwed the pooch BIG TIME here, then the state acted like the refs did nothing wrong.

oh, 2 more things...

the fight started after an INT with :14 lleft in the game. The refs ran off the field, calling the game, but made NO announcements of ANY kind (they were miked for the PA and TV).

the kid from the other team that threw the first punch wasn't ejected either time... before the refs left the field OR in the paperwork.

hence my ref comment above

Interesting bit of info here, the crew that worked the S.C. - Hurricane game and helped screw all this up is supposed to be working the class AA championship game this Friday.

Weather forecast for this weekend may force the postponement of all the games at Wheeling Island because the Ohio River is scheduled to crest at 39 feet Friday morning. Wheeling Island starts flooding at 36 feet and the stadium at 37 feet.

Flood Waters Could Threaten Wheeling Island, Super Six

Updated Wednesday, December 1, 2010; 01:21 PM

The National Weather Service has issued a flood warning for communities along the Ohio River.

By Dave Elias

Email | Bio | Other Stories by Dave Elias

WHEELING -- The National Weather Service has issued a flood warning for Belmont, Columbiana Noble, Monroe and Washington counties in Ohio and Brooke, Hancock, Marshall and Ohio counties in West Virginia.

The alert will remain in effect from Thursday morning until Friday night, according to an alert from the Weather Service.

The National Weather Service alert stated that in Wheeling the river is expected to crest at 39.3 feet at 7 a.m., which is 3.3 feet above flood level.

At that level, it is enough to surround Wheeling Island Stadium with water. Super Six Chairman Bernie Dolan said those levels could also put water on the football field. That could jeopardize the Super Six game slated for Saturday.

Dolan said that right now he along with the West Virginia Secondary Schools Athletic Commission will monitor the predicted flooding.

Edited by bhs7695

Interesting bit of info here, the crew that worked the S.C. - Hurricane game and helped screw all this up is supposed to be working the class AA championship game this Friday.

Weather forecast for this weekend may force the postponement of all the games at Wheeling Island because the Ohio River is scheduled to crest at 39 feet Friday morning. Wheeling Island starts flooding at 36 feet and the stadium at 37 feet.

(snip)

At that level, it is enough to surround Wheeling Island Stadium with water. Super Six Chairman Bernie Dolan said those levels could also put water on the football field. That could jeopardize the Super Six game slated for Saturday.

Dolan said that right now he along with the West Virginia Secondary Schools Athletic Commission will monitor the predicted flooding.

Not the first time that place has flooded in the fall. Before, I remember it did that, and the field was a mess, and all the uniforms were mud-coated afterward (that was back when it was natural grass).

All the more reason the Super Six needs to be somewhere else, but as long as the Wheeling gambling lobby runs things, I know those games will never move. It's the most inconvenient location in the state for games, but hey, as long as the gambling folks pay so much, and lavish the WVSSAC with all the stuff they do, nothing is gonna change.

Don't get me wrong, the stadium is nice. It's no nicer than Laidley Field (or whatever it is called now), though. Charleston is more centrally located to more people, too. But hey...logic doesn't apply here, it is all about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Period.

More thoughts on this mess.

1. WVSSAC does need a formal appeal process for things like this, so they don't have to get caught up in the court system. I'm guessing it could have been resolved quicker, and there would be no question mark going into the game who was or was not eligible.

2. From the reports above, it sounds like the fight happened with 14 seconds left, the officials ran off the field, called the game, and headed to the locker room. To me, once the officials run off the field, the ability to eject or suspend players is gone. They should have stayed, and made the announcement right there. If there is some kind of "tape review" after the game to determine who gets tossed, I think the WVSSAC needs to be the one doing it. I think the WVSSAC needs to reserve the right to toss players after the fact, done at the office level, with the right of appeal.

Totally unrelated, but this makes me think of when Bluefield and Weir played, and the Weir coach got into it with one of his own players, and I remember the cops putting him down on the turf, cuffing him, and arresting him. If I remember, that coach was the head coach's son, and he resigned right after that. Bluefield won, so there was no "next game" thing to even worry about, and the coach was gone before the first game of the next season.

VT grad/fan??? Iffy...

I was eluding that should have been his last play. Beamer should have gotton rid of him well before that happened. Also Beamer should have made it clear this type of behavior will not be tolerated. He does not because he likes the Newport News, Hampton area players which all are very good but seem to not have any discipline. The likes of the Vick boys (two thugs), D'Angelo Hall (thug), and many more to numerous to list. VT grad for sure (Class of 1983) and big fan back then when we had a good coach which understood what college sports is really about, character developement and teamwork. Ha Ha just kidding, But at least the inmates were not in charge as it is now. I grant you that a lot of them could not read past 5th grade level back in those days. Had my share of classes with them. I guess Va Tech is just like every other college around now as the good players are always right and just kiss thier a$$ to keep them around. I know Beamer is good at the puckering part as are all successful program coaches now in the golden age of college sports. They are building our next generation of convicts. I don't know if you have ever attended college but if you think college sports has got anything to do with higher learning then you would not qualify now. I still pull for my team and Beamer is a winner, but I know what it is all about now and don't fool myself. Win at all costs and keep you're job.

Edited by Gizmo777

(snipped)

I'm a 1992 VT grad, and I had some classes with some basketball and footbal players along the way. There are some smart kids playing, and a lot of not-so-smart ones too. We, as people, tend to be blessed in one area or another, usually not multiple ones. For instance, if you went to a MENSA convention, I doubt you could fill a 22 man football team with 100 MENSA members. I'm saying that a lot of great athletes were blessed physically, but average (or a little worse) in other ways.

I do take exception to some of your comments, though.

The likes of the Vick boys (two thugs), D'Angelo Hall (thug), and many more to numerous to list.

Micheal Vick was more naive, and did make some stupid decisions, especially after he got money. Marcus....yes, straight thug, and nothing but a problem child. DeAngelo was a locker-room cancer, so to speak. But, I'd venture a guess that a majority of the kids that play at VT are pretty decent young men.

I've been critical of Frank Beamer in the past, calling him "Father Frank", as he seems rather bent on rehabilitating the bad street kids from Newport News. I do think he has good intentions, though. I think he does have a positive influence on them, I do not think he's using them for their athletic abilities, only to toss them away after he's done with them (and I think there are plenty of coaches that do).

They are building our next generation of convicts.

Pure hyperbole. Outside of Marcus Vick, I don't know of any of the former VT players who have had trouble with the law. And I think the way Marcus was booted says what an anomaly he was.

I don't know if you have ever attended college but if you think college sports has got anything to do with higher learning then you would not qualify now. I still pull for my team and Beamer is a winner, but I know what it is all about now and don't fool myself. Win at all costs and keep you're job.

One thing I remember from my college days at VT...one of my friend who lived on my dorm hall, was assigned a class with an odd index number, it was something like #9950 or something, and was not listed in the master list of classes for the next semester. It was a Sociology class, and it was taught at what was then known as the Animal Science building, which happens to be on the opposite end of campus from most Sociology classes. It was taught in the afternoon, and when he went to the first class, he realized it was almost exclusively filled with football/basketball/baseball athletes. He was one of the few non-athletes in the class. Not sure if it was an accident that he got there, or if they had to insert a few token non-athletes to make it a legitimate class.

I guess my big point is, yes...for most of the big-time college athletes (football and basketball), staying eligible is a bit of a sham, they all take easy classes, easy majors (ever know anybody to graduate in residential management?), all part of the game. I love my VT football, but even I am jaded enough to know it's all part of a big game.

I've been reading a lot of message board chatter about the mess at Auburn, and while I realize a lot of it could be jealous ramblings from other SEC schools, I think there is smoke where there is fire. I think a lot of schools find ways to get money to the families of the kids, sometimes rather indirectly. Been going on forever, and I think it is probably far more common at some of the more "serious" schools. Not sure there is an answer that doesn't turn "amateur" athletics upside down.

Pure hyperbole. Outside of Marcus Vick, I don't know of any of the former VT players who have had trouble with the law. And I think the way Marcus was booted says what an anomaly he was.

United States v. Morrison, 529 U.S. 598 (2000).

And I could go on in painful, laborious detail.

I'd best concede this point if I were you.

United States v. Morrison, 529 U.S. 598 (2000).

And I could go on in painful, laborious detail.

I'd best concede this point if I were you.

I'll concede that point. That was an ugly, ugly time in VT football. I had thankfully blocked that mess out of my mind, but it's all coming back now (gee, thanks!!) I do wish I would have clarified that I meant after they were in school. I don't think anybody outside of Marcus (that I can remember) had legal issues after finishing at VT (and I mean the kids that were not kicked off the team)

Messes like that lead to the enactment of the CAP. Can't remember what it stood for, but basically, it was a template of how to deal with off-the-field lawbreakers.

(edit) found it. Comprehensive Action Plan. Seemed too obvious.

http://www.techsideline.com/football/capexcerpt.htm

I think it was under Jim Weaver's watch (the current AD) that the CAP was drawn up.

(edit #2) Nope, under Dave Braine.

And sadly, I saw the CAP circumvented with the Derrius Monroe case, when he was let back on the team, due to his Alford plea (if I remember that right). It was a Clintonian parsing, that he was considered something other than guilty, when the plea was erased later due to the terms of the plea.

I will say, you make a good point...and I know a LOT of alumni were mad as he....well, mad as you know what at Frank. I am under the impression that it was a "lesson learned" for Beamer. At least I surely hope so.

Edited by BeaverHokie