Just a thought

MrSocko

I was thinking about the possible new playoff system in Region D. I was thinking that if winning a district title doesn't matter on getting into the new playoff format, why be part of a district.

Why would Grundy have to play Hurley,Twin Valley, etc?

Why would Clintwood have to play PV,Appy, etc.?

The last couple of years Hurley,Haysi, and Honaker hasn't got any points off of TV, so why play them.

I was thinking the teams in SWVA could be like the teams in WV and play whomever they want. Kinda like an independent.

Just a thought, it's too cold outside to do anything else!

24 years is all it took for this to happen???

No rule says you have to play every team in your district to make the playoffs.

Problem is, the whole point of having districts is to guarantee a set number of games.

I can see, for example, Grundy & TV not playing in football, and no problems coming from it. But if, say, TV decides they don't want to play Honaker, will Honaker then decide to drop TV in basketball & baseball ??

I've heard rumors of scheduling conflicts that could result in some district match ups not happening...but, will have to wait and see how it plays out I guess...don't read in to it that it involves Grundy either.

Im going to use Grundy and Haysi as examples, they both have a hard time filling out there schedules as it is (w/ districts) how in the world would they get 10 w/o districts? Thats my only concern. Hurley and TV also have a hard time, but they are willing to play those weak WV schools and Haysi and Grundy arent so that helps them. I just think scheduling would be really hard for some schools, but I do understand the logic of eliminating the districts.

Im going to use Grundy and Haysi as examples, they both have a hard time filling out there schedules as it is (w/ districts) how in the world would they get 10 w/o districts? Thats my only concern. Hurley and TV also have a hard time, but they are willing to play those weak WV schools and Haysi and Grundy arent so that helps them. I just think scheduling would be really hard for some schools, but I do understand the logic of eliminating the districts.

Well, they might be like few of the WV playoff teams over the years and only have a 9 game schedule. I guess if you win the ones you are suppose to and the guys you beat give you a little help by winning their games, it may not be important to have a 10 game schedule.

Remember though this new playoff system is for football only (at least for now). I wonder how many of an individual district's members would allow one school to just pick and choose the sports they want to play everyone in? IMO any district is opening up a huge can of worms if they allow it--in any sport.

I remember Pocahontas refusing to play Honaker in football in the first year or two that Honaker was in the BDD. I don't recall how it was handled though (like if each school had a non-district game count as a BDD game, etc).

Honaker re-joined the BDD in 1988... they didn't play in 88 or 89. Don't rem. that, but the VHSL rule at the time was that any team that refuses to play a District team that wants to play them, is ineligible for the District title.

I remember Pocahontas refusing to play Honaker in football in the first year or two that Honaker was in the BDD. I don't recall how it was handled though (like if each school had a non-district game count as a BDD game, etc).

Why did Pocy refuse?

At that time Pocy football was lucky to win more than 1 or 2 games per season; it was just before Bobby Wyatt took over as coach. Wyatt led them to a 9-1 regular season in 1990 (they did play Honaker that year).

I don't remember if it was the PHS coach or principal that said Honaker didn't belong in the BDD because its enrollment was so much larger than the other schools. The other members at the time were Garden, Whitewood, Haysi, Hurley, Council and maybe St. Paul (before moving to the Cumberland).

At that time Pocy football was lucky to win more than 1 or 2 games per season; it was just before Bobby Wyatt took over as coach. Wyatt led them to a 9-1 regular season in 1990 (they did play Honaker that year).

I don't remember if it was the PHS coach or principal that said Honaker didn't belong in the BDD because its enrollment was so much larger than the other schools. The other members at the time were Garden, Whitewood, Haysi, Hurley, Council and maybe St. Paul (before moving to the Cumberland).

I see their point.

But at that time, for football anyway, Honaker wasn't that great...