Virginia Tech vs. Stanford

vthokies4life

Let me first start off by saying im a hokie fan I attend the games and cheer for them. I have said though to friends and others that i discuss the games with that Beamer needs to go and I get attacked everytime i say it let's face fact though what has he done lately winning the acc to me is not much of a great thing the acc is terrible in most years so that is not that hard to do. Then when he goes up against a team that is equal or just a little better he loses if he was at any other college in the country he would have been gone along time ago.

3) Even in the first half while Tech was still in the game, it didn't seem like some of the VT players wanted to be there...maybe that goes back to not being prepared, I don't know...

4) I honestly expected this year's effort to be like last year's effort vs. Tennessee. However, once I heard about some of the players breaking curfew earlier in the week, I knew it was going to be another bowl ass-kicking.

My sentiments exactly.

FWIW, I was told that the VT coaches moved the players into a different hotel on Saturday night because there were "too many distractions" that were taking place in the first one. When I heard that, I automatically knew that this was a vacation for the players and they'd likely treat the football game as such also.

I did bet Stanford -3. My "magic number" was 4.5.

Reminds me of when I saw Deron Washington and Coleman Collins come in the hotel with 2 cases of Natty Light when I was in Columbus for the 2007 NCAAs. I did everything short of forcing people to take Southern Illinois +4.5. So when they played like their shoes were made of lead the next day, I knew why...

We lost that game 63-48. We scored 48 points. In an NCAA tournament game. That was infuriating. Ahh to be a Virginia Tech fan.

I mean, it's not even losing that is maddening. It's the fact that throughout the entire athletic program, it seems like we have no will to get any better than we are. We are so quick to accept moral victories and not even care that we have 1 more in the L column. At what point do coaching staffs push their players that extra step? At what point do players quit being comfortable with the performances they've put in and realize their work isn't finished until they prove they are the best? And no, I'm not talking about that "best they can be" shit, I'm talking about proving that there is no one better than them. Will Virginia Tech, any sport really, ever do that? I'm beginning to think not...

We lost that game 63-48. We scored 48 points. In an NCAA tournament game. That was infuriating. Ahh to be a Virginia Tech fan.

I mean, it's not even losing that is maddening. It's the fact that throughout the entire athletic program, it seems like we have no will to get any better than we are. We are so quick to accept moral victories and not even care that we have 1 more in the L column. At what point do coaching staffs push their players that extra step? At what point do players quit being comfortable with the performances they've put in and realize their work isn't finished until they prove they are the best? And no, I'm not talking about that "best they can be" shit, I'm talking about proving that there is no one better than them. Will Virginia Tech, any sport really, ever do that? I'm beginning to think not...

I think you can in football. If Peter Warrick wasn't born, you'd already have one national title. You all will have to jettison Stinespring before that will happen, but Foster's defense is so darned good that it makes Stinespring look better by proxy. I think that's what you're getting at partly.

I think your administration prefers (11-2) (11-2) (10-3) to the possibility of (13-0) (9-3) (8-4), because the first pretty much guarantees a fanbase that constantly pangs for football, while the 2nd risks unsettling the fans and losing revenue after the first success can't be duplicated. I hope that makes sense. My brain's getting more overworked by the day. I think your administration also has the people in place that it wants to do just that. I'm not saying that they have a subversive plan, just that it very much likes the Beamer-Foster-Stinespring ceiling that you've seen since 2004. Making a change to get the MNC would upset this, and a conservative administration will take the certainty.

That brings us to the staff and players. Some of those Top-5 losses haven't been close. Look at LSU and the 2nd-half of Stanford. No amount of willpower in the world will change that. But players think differently than we do: it's not the end of the world to them if they lose a game; players are trained to not have the high-highs and low-lows we do. Some just aren't consumed by winning. I think it's that simple: it's an athlete thing.

Edited by UVAObserver

I did bet Stanford -3. My "magic number" was 4.5.

Reminds me of when I saw Deron Washington and Coleman Collins come in the hotel with 2 cases of Natty Light when I was in Columbus for the 2007 NCAAs. I did everything short of forcing people to take Southern Illinois +4.5. So when they played like their shoes were made of lead the next day, I knew why...

I saw your post where you said the "magic number" was 4.5. I started to say it should be 14.5 but was afraid of getting bombed by the other VT fans here...

Ahhh reminds me of the days of Drunkenmiller and those wild nights of date rape and sexual assault.

Whatever happened to that guy after he went to San Fran to shame the legacy of great QBs?

VT never had a player named Drunkenmiller...;)

At some point and time, VT fans will probably not be satisfied with ACC Championships. You all know where my allegiance lies and believe me I would have loved for UT to win 11 games, so this is not a bashing reply. I just think in order to be validated they need to win a NC. I was talking to a loyal VT Alum, and winning the ACC is not getting old per say, but it's starting to be "not enough". Richlands, Gate City, and Clintwood seem to win their respective districts every year, which is fantastic, but at some point and time the focus has to be on the bigger prize. The sad part is if VT had beaten Boise and JMU, they probably would have still played Stanford in the Orange Bowl, because of SOS. But, this isnt a "we need a playoff thread".

JMHO

Could not agree more if he was at any other college he would have been fired by now and there is no one that can argue that.

his record looks good, but the ACC is weak without miami and fsu on their game. 1-29 against top 5 teams pretty much tells you that VT will never win a national championship while he is there, I think if they want a shot they should go to the Big 10(or whatever its being called now) or the SEC. preferably the SEC.

his record looks good, but the ACC is weak without miami and fsu on their game. 1-29 against top 5 teams pretty much tells you that VT will never win a national championship while he is there, I think if they want a shot they should go to the Big 10(or whatever its being called now) or the SEC. preferably the SEC.

As a hokie fan without making some big time changes VT would not make it in the SEC they would be at the bottom getting beat just about every week in the long run they would improve but it would take years to do so in my opinon.

Guest The Variable

I think they should just call it BigX. Hell I should be an expert, my SN is Variable.