Now that everything is official with signing day...

I have a question for the VT fans after watching the recruiting game play-out over the past several weeks. Are you concerned about the number of high profile targets that spurned the Hokies for the likes of UNC and even UVa.? Despite the fact that Tech's program has been substantially more stable and successful for well over a decade. Is the fact that Carolina and Virginia (with London) out-gunned you for several big-timers a concern moving forward, especially if those programs start becoming regularly successful. We'll see how things play out over the next three years or so, but on-paper Tech's class is very, very disappointing considering a number of their top prospects picked the likes of UNC and UVa.

And yes, I've been awhile for several months, but there hasn't been anything worth talking about really on the high school level in that time. I hope everyone is well and the New Year has gotten off to a good start.

Edited by Bluefield_Rules

No, not concerned. With the exception of a handful of players, this year's crop of in-state recruits was fairly weak compared to recent past years. VT also targeted certain areas of need moreso than concentrating solely on in-state recruiting this season...as can be seen in the number of out of state recruits they signed this year.

No, not concerned. With the exception of a handful of players, this year's crop of in-state recruits was fairly weak compared to recent past years. VT also targeted certain areas of need moreso than concentrating solely on in-state recruiting this season...as can be seen in the number of out of state recruits they signed this year.

What he said....

To add to that, some years VT can hit on a high profile kid and some years they can't. It's just how it goes. Overall, VT does a pretty good job year in and year out finding kids they want/need for several reasons and the stability over the last decade has proven that. VT has missed more high profile kids over the years than they have gotten and I think they've done ok.

I'm excited to see how Corey Marshall does during his career in Blacksburg.

I have a question for the VT fans after watching the recruiting game play-out over the past several weeks. Are you concerned about the number of high profile targets that spurned the Hokies for the likes of UNC and even UVa.? Despite the fact that Tech's program has been substantially more stable and successful for well over a decade. Is the fact that Carolina and Virginia (with London) out-gunned you for several big-timers a concern moving forward, especially if those programs start becoming regularly successful. We'll see how things play out over the next three years or so, but on-paper Tech's class is very, very disappointing considering a number of their top prospects picked the likes of UNC and UVa.

And yes, I've been awhile for several months, but there hasn't been anything worth talking about really on the high school level in that time. I hope everyone is well and the New Year has gotten off to a good start.

Virginia Tech has gained a reputation of being good talent evaluators, especially of players that fit our system well. Also, this staff has an uncanny ability to bring out the best in the players who are unheralded (Adibi, Hall, Grimm, etc.). But all that accomplishes is consistently solid play year in and year out. I bet this class, just like classes before them, will see seasons with right around 10 wins, ACC Championship(s), etc.

I've said it before. Has this staff become comfortable with that as our ceiling? Are we even thinking about being relevant nationally? Because recruiting classes like this is not what gets you national attention. It takes that next level of athlete to get national recognition, and Virginia Tech for some reason is rarely attractive to those athletes.

And I'm terrified of UVA in these next couple of years. Mike London is building an incredibly threatening program, especially if he keeps winning the recruiting battle in the state of Virginia.*

(*I say that assuming UVA can turn around their performances on the field. If London proves to be as good of a coach as he is recruiter, the Hokies are looking at many disappointments in years to come.)

Saw a story where some kids mom forged his LOI and faxed it to Ole Miss when the kid wanted to play at Texas A&M. Kinda funny.

You mean this?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/news/story?id=6084711

Recruit confirms mom forged signature

OXFORD, Miss. -- Floyd Raven says his mom was just trying to help when she forged his signature on a letter of intent to Mississippi on Wednesday morning.

Instead, she only caused confusion. He had decided to go to Texas A&M.

"Long story short, my mom thought she was helping me out," Raven said in an interview with The Associated Press on Wednesday evening. "I wasn't home and she sent it in. I never told her I had changed my mind to Texas A&M. I forgive her for it. It was an honest mistake."

Once Mississippi coach Houston Nutt learned that the letter of intent was forged he declined to get into specifics about the incident. All he would say was Raven's "mom really wanted him [at Ole Miss]. Mom wanted him here in the worst way."

Raven, a highly regarded defensive back who played high school football at East St. John in Reserve, La., said the Ole Miss coaches were "very understanding" during the dilemma.

Texas A&M confirmed on Wednesday evening that Raven signed a letter of intent with the Aggies.

"I just liked the direction their program was going," Raven said. "I got close with a few of their players and it just felt like the right place for me."

Mississippi athletic spokesman Kyle Campbell said the school had trouble reading the initial letter of intent sent by fax machine, so the school requested another. Raven declined.

Nutt said he considered the incident finished and wanted to focus on his incoming class. Ole Miss announced 22 signees on Wednesday.

"I want them to want to be here," Nutt said of recruits. "The one thing I know about the other guys' signatures that [our coaches] received is that they want to be here. We'll leave it at that. Good luck to him."

There's no doubt in my mind that Tech can coach up the players they have. However, this is VT's worst class in umpteen years, it seems. Even Duke had a better crop, if you believe ESPN's ranking system.

I get the sense that VT fans are trying to justify the abnorally poor haul by saying that "we didn't need a lot this year" or "Virginia just didn't have the talent this year as in years past" or "ol' Bud will just coach 'em up". Lipsticks, pigs, etc.

You can live with 1 year having a class like this. If you have 1-2 more, VT's in trouble. That simple.

And I'm terrified of UVA in these next couple of years. Mike London is building an incredibly threatening program, especially if he keeps winning the recruiting battle in the state of Virginia.*

(*I say that assuming UVA can turn around their performances on the field. If London proves to be as good of a coach as he is recruiter, the Hokies are looking at many disappointments in years to come.)

That asterisk is an understatement. It remains to be seen if London can coach the players up beyond the 2 eye-popping performances we had against USC-West and Miami last year. I like what I've seen thus far, but it's still much too unproven. VT is THE gold standard in coaching up players, and we're still trying to dig out from the regime that set the anti-gold standard.

I don't see London thumping VT in-state like this every year, especially 2+ years down the road if we're still in the 5-7 to 7-5 range. The wins have to come. IMHO, next year MUST be a bowl game and the year after MUST be 8+ wins if UVA plans to keep up the momentum. If not, VT will regain the strangehold for another half-decade or more.